What's new

Best Whiskey under $40

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
You can get glenlivet 12 year from costco for under 30... I'll drink that until the cows come home. Not as smokey as the Lagavulin, but it hits it outta the park (at least for me).

My favorite smokey scotch is Ledaig 10. Closer to 60 for a bottle, but it's worth it, especially if you like your scotch a little "salty".

As for bourbon, dump that junk down the drain. It's too syrupy for me.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
As for bourbon, dump that junk down the drain. It's too syrupy for me.
You watch you're mouth, Mr. Sean., bourbon is delicious. You should try some Basil Hayden, it has more of a malty flavor than other bourbons I've had. It reminded me more of scotch than bourbon.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I think you can get MacAllan 10 at Trader Joes for about $40. Good value.

The BEST bourbon for under $40 is Elijah Craig 12 Year. Hands down, no contest, no second place, whatever else you're thinking is wrong.

Eagle Rare is also great -- fun fact -- Eagle Rare is from the Buffalo Trace distillery. It's their wheated mash, the exact same mash as Pappy van Winkle. Which is also made there. Hint, hint.

I like Buffalo Trace, which has the same mash bill as Blantons. So, grab some Blantons!
Elija craig and rare breed would be two I would pick up
Definitely bought a bottle last night, have to say I'm impressed! Very smooth, toasty, and caramely!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
You watch you're mouth, Mr. Sean., bourbon is delicious. You should try some Basil Hayden, it has more of a malty flavor than other bourbons I've had. It reminded me more of scotch than bourbon.
I've had that one. I've also had Blantons which is also very "scotchy" but...

you may as well drink scotch, then. (y)
...I'm of this mindset.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
For all of you Elijah Craig 12yr fans (myself included), be aware that they are changing it to a NAS (Non-Age statement). You have probably already noticed the labels in the store now say "Small Batch" vs 12 year. This is significant because the whiskey itself will no longer be 12 years old, but will be a mix of anywhere from 8-12 year whiskies.
http://whiskeyreviewer.com/2016/01/elijah-craig-reportedly-going-nas-012216/

Suffice to say, I grabbed a few extra bottles so I can continue to enjoy the original

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
I'll post up my 2 favorite go-to that I didn't see here.

40 Creek Barrel Select its under $30 here and have loved it since I found it on the shelf. They make a handful of others that I would like to try but haven't found them.

Snake River Stampede...seriously good for how cheap it is, only 25 bucks here. This has been my go to for years and is usually always on hand....unless some friends and a bon fire occupied the night.