What's new

Bitcoin

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I get the concept of bitcoin being cool because it has the “potential” to lift the dependency on big banks(insert Rothschild family conspiracy here) But that reality is still very far away. And completely unregulated. Zelle is nice for the opposite reasons. because it is the only p2p service backed by almost all the major banks it makes funds transfers and disputes a much simpler process.
The reality for lifting the dependence on big banks is definitely far away. I'm not sure that will ever happen to be honest, and that is not what I see as the value of cryptocurrency. A lot of people in the community get paid in Bitcoin and buy everything they need to survive with Bitcoin; I think that is novel but not adding value to their lives. However, I do think that Bitcoin does some things much much better than the current system, it is in fact indisputable fact. One example is sending money internationally; the Internet has no borders, it is just as easy as sending an email. Another is sending very small amounts of money potentially very frequently. There are extremely useful applications for these characteristics which I believe ensure some form of cryptocurrency will be an every day part of all of our lives in the coming years, whether we directly interact with it or not.

However, today, one of the things it does really well is let you send money between people without all having to have the same app, the same bank, the same platform, a lot of coordination, and without anyone else getting involved and enforcing their agendas. Cigars are not as controversial as some things, but I would refer you here to examples such as credit card processors refusing to process transactions for gun stores. Bitcoin is an open standard, while everything else named here so far is closed. Zelle might work fine now, and it might work fine forever, it probably will. But they could just as easily decide they don't like cigars, or guns, or people who make more than X per year, or anything else they want; no one can regulate Bitcoin and no one can change what you do with it. That is the appeal of it, today. Just my two cents Bitcoin ;)

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
What exactly caused you to dislike lapyap? Did you reach a limit of funds? Did they block some sales? Seems like a lot of unnecessary frustration on your end

Just curious as to what triggered the hate towards them

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't hate lapyap, I've never had a problem with them directly. I just dislike being made to feel like a criminal for completely legal and appropriate activity. The fact that someone felt the need to have this forum automatically spell lapyap backwards to avoid attracting attention is evidence that this is happening.

Sorry if I'm coming across frustrated, I am just trying to highlight the benefits of considering alternatives. I think passion might be coming across as frustration. There are good alternatives out there and the only thing I see standing in the way of improving the situation is an unwillingness to try.

All the nerds are already on board, we need to start getting normal people involved to continue growing adoption, and I think one of the most obvious groups is people who are being underserved by the existing infrastructure. When people trying to buy and sell items with each other that are entirely legal have to jump through hoops and hide what they are doing to avoid attention, that to me is an opportunity.

I'm not expecting to have everyone start using Bitcoin for box splits, but maybe I will plant one or two seeds that will grow into new users down the line. Or maybe I'm wasting my time. Idk, this stuff interests me :D

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
How are they making you feel like a criminal?

Also tobacco sales aren’t really “legal” without the proper license

But I’m just curious as to how they’re making you feel like a criminal?

I almost feel like this is one of those posts that offers information about bitcoin and then you get a referral link to join via PM.

xFreebirdx

Patriot Guard Rider
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Bitcoin could be just a fad like trading stamps. The one I remember was S&H Green stamps, there was a time they were accepted as cash and then poof. Sorry but if it isn't backed by gold in some countries reserve somewhere. It is just a fad to drive up prices on GPU's. It's made up money that has no backing.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Lol, I don't use lapyap or any other online pay service. I have never done Facebook, Twitter or any other online crap. I no longer use google as I think they are evil and can't be trusted.I don't even own a credit card. I don't trust the dirty bastards and I NEVER pay any interest, ever. I owe NO ONE a nickel and haven't for several years. It's kinda like living off the grid and it's just the way I like it.

I am going to pass on bitcoin.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Lol, I don't use lapyap or any other online pay service. I have never done Facebook, Twitter or any other online crap. I no longer use google as I think they are evil and can't be trusted.I don't even own a credit card. I don't trust the dirty bastards and I NEVER pay any interest, ever. I owe NO ONE a nickel and haven't for several years. It's kinda like living off the grid and it's just the way I like it.

You old man! You remind me of @Cigary43

Rating - 100%
41   0   0

You're kind of my hero. You sort of sound like a weird old cranky guy, but that's cool, too.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
You old man! You remind me of @Cigary43
Lol, yeah, I like Gary. F'm all, money grabbing pieces of crap. People work their asses off for their whole freaking life only to turn around and give their money to some company or corporation. My wife and I survive fine without having to pay off debt. Almost everyone has fallen for the BIG scam. It's sad really.

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0

You would fit in perfect with MT...just let me know when you head this way.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Oh you guys. I was all ready to let this go, and then you guys go and throw a bunch of patently false statements out there as fact. I'm not going to change your minds, I accept that, but what about the people reading, and not posting, today and in the future? I can't just let this stuff sit here going uncorrected. It's probably a personality flaw of mine.

• There is no "referral link" to join Bitcoin. That would be like being referred to join using paper money; it's just a thing anyone can use, owned by no one. I do not directly benefit if any of you "sign up." But thanks for questioning my intentions.
  • Bitcoin is not mined on GPUs. Other crypto is. $200 billion dollars is a lot to invest to sell some graphics cards.
  • It is not a fad, (we've heard this one before), or if it is, it's been going on for a decade and if it was a corporation, would be about #20 in global market cap (just above CitiGroup and below Anheuser-Busch). And that is just the one coin, the total market cap of cryptocurrency is $200 billion dollars, with $15.7B of trading volume in the last 24 hours. Quite a fad, how high did the stamps get.
  • "It's made up money that has no backing." So is the US dollar, the gold standard has been gone for a while. Both currencies have actual value because we collectively decide they do. Your complaint is with the concept of money, not Bitcoin.
  • "Sorry but if it isn't backed by gold in some countries reserve somewhere." The US Dollar is not backed by gold. See point above.
  • "It backed by nothing and isn't used to buy anything that can be had by local companies." This is a twofer. It is backed by one of the largest computer networks in history, securing it with math that you can actually look at and understand. What backs your US dollars? The word of a government 20 Trillion dollars in debt whose credit rating is on the decline? As for usefulness, you can use Bitcoin to buy just about anything you could name. Retailers you've heard of that accept it are names like Dell, Overstock, Subway, Expedia, Dish Network, and more. It's quite easy to use on Amazon and get a discount via sites like Purse.io, and is just a matter of time until they accept it directly. It is good for merchants, cheaper, faster, easier, with less overhead. The list keeps growing. If you want to narrow it to "local companies," I mean, what is that? There are plenty of bars and restaurants starting to accept it all over the place. More so on the left coast, but everything starts there. You'll probably be able to pay for dinner with Bitcoin around the same time you can charge your car in the parking lot.
  • Montana seems like a great place to live. Ok, I agree with that one.
Ok I think that's it. I'm happy to let this go since it doesn't seem like this community is going to be very receptive. That's ok. I really have no beef with anyone. Just stopping posting misinformation and I'll stop correcting it.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As an aside, is it actually illegal to sell cigars between two private citizens? I actually don't know, but my instinct is that it is allowed under some private use exception, similar to how you don't have to charge sales tax for selling something on eBay.