What's new

Blackening Seasoning recipe

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'm looking for an alternative to Trader Joe's Blackened Salmon (which I love, but it's expensive). I can get salmon cheaper at Costco and make my own. The problem is, Trader's blackening is awesome. All of the pre-made blackening seasonings I've tried are loaded with salt, so I looked online and found a recipe.

Question for you grillmasters: What should I add to this recipe, or is it good to go?

Thanks

1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon ground dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I would use all of the ingredients above and more, but if I used them I would use all fresh herbs and spices. It makes a huge difference.

Oh and use "Smoked Durango sea salt"...

Chef

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I would use all of the ingredients above and more, but if I used them I would use all fresh herbs and spices. It makes a huge difference.

Chef
I was hoping someone with "Chef" in their moniker would respond, actually. What additional ingredients would you suggest other than salt. Anything? (the point of the original thread :)). Thanks..

I'd like to go fresh, but....baby steps :)

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Ok boys...here's the deal... I received this info from Chef via pm: "Yes you have it right, but you need to ground and crush your own spices and peppercorns, as well as mince fresh herbs... the durango smoked sea salt is the natural way to give it the smoked flavoring and goes along way. and right before serving it squeeze half a lemon right on top."

I bought the Durango online - should be here by the weekend.

I made the pre-fab stuff last night because I had all of the ingredients on hand. I coated two previously frozen catfish fillets with it and grilled it up. It was good, but not great. I'm gonna try the fresh herb approach next week with some fresh steelhead or salmon.

Thanks Chef :)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ok boys...here's the deal... I received this info from Chef via pm: "Yes you have it right, but you need to ground and crush your own spices and peppercorns, as well as mince fresh herbs... the durango smoked sea salt is the natural way to give it the smoked flavoring and goes along way. and right before serving it squeeze half a lemon right on top."

I bought the Durango online - should be here by the weekend.

I made the pre-fab stuff last night because I had all of the ingredients on hand. I coated two previously frozen catfish fillets with it and grilled it up. It was good, but not great. I'm gonna try the fresh herb approach next week with some fresh steelhead or salmon.

Thanks Chef :)

Your gonna love the Durango smoked sea salt!!! It's kick ass on fish, chicken, steak, ice cream what ever you put it on its freekin delicious!! I look forward to hearing your response when you use the fresh ingredients.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Chef
I was going to suggest switching the paprika with smoked paprika, to quote frank's commercial "i put that sh_t on everything". I also tend to start a blackened item in a cast iron pan, depending on what it is I just completely cook it in there. Fish, prime rib, basically whatever I'm blackening

Rating - 100%
32   0   0

Chef
I was going to suggest switching the paprika with smoked paprika, to quote frank's commercial "i put that sh_t on everything". I also tend to start a blackened item in a cast iron pan, depending on what it is I just completely cook it in there. Fish, prime rib, basically whatever I'm blackening
Was also gonna ask how you're cooking it.
Living in Florida, I fish quite frequently and needless to say eat a fair amount of fish. I actually had blackened mahi for dinner tonight.
I'm lazy and typically just use a combination of Cajun/ blackening seasonings.. but for me the key to a good piece if blackened fish is how it's cooked.
IMO, the best way is on a very hot cast iron skillet with butter.
I place my skillet inside the grill not on the side burner and the fish comes off awesomely!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nothing really get's that blackened crust like a cast iron pan. Great for cooking steaks as well, sear them on all sides and finish them off in a 500 degree oven for a few minutes, juice and tender every time.