What's new

Blending Thread

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've a shipment finally coming today from LO: Arapirica filler (priming unspecified), Arapirica wrapper, and Cubra Seco. Anybody have experience with stuff? Can you suggest a blend?

I have always loved the Sparse Jungle ( = Mata Fina), so I thought something else from Brazil might be for me. My initial plan was to use the Arapirica wrapper as binder (it comes so cheap that I figured it can't be high grade wrap... prolly thick), use the unspecified priming for mild body and the Cubra for spice. No clear idea yet what to wrap this with. I may have a few strands of Sparse Jungle wrapper I can try.

BTW ... this may be the last time I order from LO. I just discovered they have a web site named wholeleaf.com where all the links go to LO pages. This is an obvious attempt to pirate WLT traffic. I would rather they take the trouble to provide prompt customer service rather than spend their effort stealing someone else's name.

WLT is out of stock on a lot of things. Hopefully, next shipment includes Esteli.

Have no clue why I keep ordering baccy. It's an addiction. I already have more than I could ever use or give away in this lifetime.
I have yet to try the Brazilian filler variations from LO myself. I do have them jotted down in my blend notebook, however I’ve been trying to make sure to put at bare minimum equal parts Ligero, Viso, & Seco in my blends. Both the Brazilian fillers appear to be Secos. Perhaps the Arapiraca is a Viso? I’ve been considering attempting a Brazilian Puro, but haven’t finished that blend details on it, on paper.

The Brazilian Cubra Viso wrapper though, I’ve attempted 2 blends and I personally prefer #1, but have buddies that have enjoyed #2.

W-Brazil Cubra Viso
B-Sumatra
F-1x Nic Estelí Ligero (hopefully in stock soon)
2x Nic Condega Viso
1x Nic Jalapa Seco

W-Brazil Cubra Viso
B-Sumatra
F- 2x Dom Piloto Cubano Ligero
2x Dom Criollo ‘98 Viso
(No Seco… I know… a little contradictory to my statement above)

I would be interested to hear your opinion on those LO Brazilian Fillers. [mention]webmost [/mention]

Also, that’s pretty shady for them to buy that domain and redirect to LO. Perhaps, desperate times comes adjusting business tactics? If Don was able to get some of the selections that LO has, I’d move all my business to Don. Customer service, shipping….everything in my eyes has been much better with WLT. I keep checking the websites each day myself to see when more leaf is getting restocked…hopefully soon.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would be interested to hear your opinion on those LO Brazilian Fillers.

Here's a screenshot of the page where LO lists Arapiraca wrapper:

Here's what I got:
21" long? Sure, if you count totally worthless string bean tip and stem. Useful 10" width? No effing way. Wrapper grade? Well, are you wrapping cigarillos?

Here's the tangled wad of Arapiraca filler they sent me:

... and here's a pair of leaves:

Seems pretty darn obvious to me that what they did is cull out the worst of their pitiful excuse for wrapper, gwobble that up, and sell it as filler. Isn't frog legged and isn't spread either. Just stringy and damp.

Here's a couple of "wrappers" stemmed and spread:

Yeah, they missed that one on the far right. Shoulda been wadded up into filler.

Finally, both those Arapiraca batches are damp as an otter's pocket. I better see about using them up macht schnell cause they'll prolly go stonky soon.

Yup. As far as "If Don was able to get some of the selections that LO has, I’d move all my business to Don. Customer service, shipping….everything in my eyes has been much better with WLT," maybe Don could get this stuff b ut doesn't want to foist it on us. Or maybe he DID get it and figured he's better off eating a loss on it.

Couple test sticks in the corona mold now. Had to double bind them cause there's no strength in that Arapiraca wrapper.Thinking I'll test them without wrapper, just to gauge what that stuff tastes like.

2 leaves Arapiraca "filler"
2 leaves Cubra seco filler
2 sides Arapiraca "wrapper" as binder

smells good

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a screenshot of the page where LO lists Arapiraca wrapper:
View attachment 170408

Here's what I got:
View attachment 170409
21" long? Sure, if you count totally worthless string bean tip and stem. Useful 10" width? No effing way. Wrapper grade? Well, are you wrapping cigarillos?

Here's the tangled wad of Arapiraca filler they sent me:
View attachment 170411

... and here's a pair of leaves:
View attachment 170410

Seems pretty darn obvious to me that what they did is cull out the worst of their pitiful excuse for wrapper, gwobble that up, and sell it as filler. Isn't frog legged and isn't spread either. Just stringy and damp.

Here's a couple of "wrappers" stemmed and spread:
View attachment 170412

Yeah, they missed that one on the far right. Shoulda been wadded up into filler.

Finally, both those Arapiraca batches are damp as an otter's pocket. I better see about using them up macht schnell cause they'll prolly go stonky soon.

Yup. As far as "If Don was able to get some of the selections that LO has, I’d move all my business to Don. Customer service, shipping….everything in my eyes has been much better with WLT," maybe Don could get this stuff b ut doesn't want to foist it on us. Or maybe he DID get it and figured he's better off eating a loss on it.

Couple test sticks in the corona mold now. Had to double bind them cause there's no strength in that Arapiraca wrapper.Thinking I'll test them without wrapper, just to gauge what that stuff tastes like.

2 leaves Arapiraca "filler"
2 leaves Cubra seco filler
2 sides Arapiraca "wrapper" as binder

smells good
Trying to respond with some pics and having issues with uploading & attaching. May need to upgrade my forum status.

Anyways, I have some LO CT BL filler that I picked up last year. Packaging about the same, but after putting in conditioning chamber for a couple days… it appears out of 1/2 a lb ish of leaf put in, a good 80% would be great binders. Perhaps of that, 40-50% could potentially fly as a wrapper. (I’ll still try to post pics).

You make an interesting point there as well about Don just “culling the crap” so to speak. Makes me question a few things. Don appears to have the quality and decent variety, where LO has variety, quality a little more hit or miss, but still some decent leaf. It’s funny, I placed both an order at WLT & LO. I received my WLT before I received any order confirmation from LO. Then, more Brazil CT 2012 became available at WLT a day after I received my first order. I proceeded to place an order for some Brazil CT 2012 wrapper. Both WLT orders arrived before my LO order. However, I don’t pay the extra $$ myself to “expedite” the order. I’ve came to terms that LO will always take longer. Will I still buy from both, of course. I think it’s just dependent on what leaf variety is available.

IMG_3091.jpg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 days in conditioning chamber.

Edit added: 3 leaves on the cutting board. 1st 2 are decent sized and not super holy. The last one looked like it was target practice from a shotgun!

IMG_3093.jpg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to blend a Esteli based Nicaraguan cigar and have really noticed how much the wrapper can change the whole experience . Using a base blend of 2 Esteli seco, 1 PA viso, 1 Esteli ligero bound in Nicaraguan binder or Esteli seco.
Wrapped in Habana 2000 or Ecuador Maduro it’s a bit too spicy and I usually like strong and spicy.
With PA Oscuro and the same blend it’s actually rather bland and muted. I even added an extra leaf of WLT Condega ligero and it’s still a bit muted. I’m afraid to add anymore ligero as it’s already pretty high in nicotine. Be nice to have some Esteli Viso then I could swap it for seco or remove a ligero when I use a Ecuadorian wrap.. And of course I could always try a different wrapper but i really want to make a blend with the aforementioned wraps

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to blend a Esteli based Nicaraguan cigar and have really noticed how much the wrapper can change the whole experience . Using a base blend of 2 Esteli seco, 1 PA viso, 1 Esteli ligero bound in Nicaraguan binder or Esteli seco.
Wrapped in Habana 2000 or Ecuador Maduro it’s a bit too spicy and I usually like strong and spicy.
With PA Oscuro and the same blend it’s actually rather bland and muted. I even added an extra leaf of WLT Condega ligero and it’s still a bit muted. I’m afraid to add anymore ligero as it’s already pretty high in nicotine. Be nice to have some Esteli Viso then I could swap it for seco or remove a ligero when I use a Ecuadorian wrap.. And of course I could always try a different wrapper but i really want to make a blend with the aforementioned wraps
A couple thoughts:

Filler:
-Adding 1/2 or 1 leaf of WLT Black Ligero
-Add 1x WLT T-13 Viso
-Add 1x WLT Nicaraguan Condega Viso
-Add 1x LO Nicaraguan Jalapa Viso

(Remove the Condega Ligero and add)
-1x LO Nicaraguan Jalapa Ligero
-1x LO Nicaraguan Ometepe Ligero

Wrappers:
-WLT Nicaraguan Criollo ‘98
-WLT Sumatra binder (used as wrapper)
-WLT/LO Indonesian Besuki/Bezuki
-WLT/LO Cameroon
-LO Ecuadorian Shade Seco/Viso
-LO Nicaraguan

I kinda want to try the blend out and help tweak. It sounds like it could hit pretty well!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. For now I kind of want the challenge of keeping with 1)as much esteli as possible, hopefully keep the PA filler. As for wrappers - Any PA, Ecuador Maduro , Ecuador Ligero (only one I have sadly should have got viso or seco) or Hab 2000.
I have tried quite a few combos and my favorites so far are:
1) wrap - Hab 2000
bind - Nicaraguan
Fillers- 2 Esteli seco and Ligero
1 PA Viso
Dark maduro tastes with a nice earth and coffee. Just seemed too edgy / little too spicy;

2)wrap - Ecuador Maduro
bind - Nicaraguan
fillers - 2 esteli seco, 1 ligero
- 1 PA viso
Earthy , Coffee and white pepper spice. Also a just a bit too edgy and spicy

3)wrap - PA Oscuro
bind - Esteli seco
fillers - 2 Esteli seco, 1 LIgero
- 1 PA viso
- 1 WLT Condega ligero
Nice earthy coffee flavors but I want just a little more spice on the tongue

I know I'm being picky but I'm so close with each one. I already have some great blends that are Condega based but I like the darker creamy coffee flavors that the Esteli and PA offer.

I'm thinking maybe swap a Condega viso somewhere to #3 and maybe PA ligero instead of viso.
Not sure what to do to tone the spice and edge down on 1 and 2...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I torqued a pair of test coronas, looking for a blend for my 74th birthday stash.

Simply two T-13 viso, bound in a half T-13 viso, wrapped in French DAC.

They taste absolutely fabulous. Would love to stash a box of 'em. But they are reluctant to burn. Have to suck at the cigar constantly or it will go out. Burns evenly. Does not cone nor crater. But likes to go out. Originally, the filler came to me damp. So I set leaves on the desk to dry before rolling. Originally used 3 leaves; but three cinched down too tight to draw. Tried two leaves & rolled loose. Even so, each stick weighs in at 14 grams, whereas, at 5 1/4" x 46rg a corona ought to weigh 11 or less. So prolly still a bit damp. Not sure how to overcome this. I'll let this test cigar set out until its weight hopefully subsides.

Note how easy it is to employ plain English "damp" or"dry" to express dampness or dryness without stumbling over the awkward misnomers "high cased" or "low cased" when what you really mean is "damp" or "dry".

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wants to dry. 70% humidibiddity.
So I devised this gar dryer here:
View attachment 173255

Down to 12 grams weight now
Ha! That’s awesome!

I believe I read in a forum, I think it was here, that a microwave could help expel some of the moistness? I’ve not tried that myself, but perhaps a trick to help?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Burnt a lot better at 12 grams weight.
This is a super good gar.

Used to have one of those damp meters you poke two prods into the side of a gar, but can't find it. Weighing works.
Think I'll roll a batch of these and let 'em set in the dry box for a long while before stashing them away.
Sure are tasty. That French DAC compliments theT-13 just right.
And viso may be my new go-to... between seco and ligero... tasty

Now I gotta dig out the batch I rolled for my 73rd birthday and burn them up

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll likely be strung up for this, but has anyone ever used the Maryland 88 in their cigars as a filler or binder? For some reason the idea of it really appeals to me, even if it’s what you might call unorthodox.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t see why not, I think it used to be used back in the day when making American stogies with PA an Connecticut tobacco.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t see why not, I think it used to be used back in the day when making American stogies with PA an Connecticut tobacco.
Awesome. I was thinking of making something kind of silly with that as the binder and part of the filler, with some kentucky fire cured as the smaller part of the filler. Similar to the MUWAT Kentucky series. Can’t decide on a wrapper though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I was thinking of making something kind of silly with that as the binder and part of the filler, with some kentucky fire cured as the smaller part of the filler. Similar to the MUWAT Kentucky series. Can’t decide on a wrapper though.
Well what does the Muwat use for a wrapper?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’ll likely be strung up for this, but has anyone ever used the Maryland 88 in their cigars as a filler or binder? For some reason the idea of it really appeals to me, even if it’s what you might call unorthodox.

FX Smiths Sons rolled a "Smokers 88" for years... but it never sold much at all.
Discontinued.

I musta tried one at some point, but don't remember it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like maybe it was a tad underwhelming then. I’m really new to rolling, so if I end up giving it a shot, I’ll give everyone the full report. In the meantime I’m trying to dial in my technique with more ‘usual’ options.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ran out of the French DAC. Tried the same T-13 innards with the Ugandan. Pleasant & mild; but not real flavorful. Tried it with cubra viso wrap for binder. That was fine for the first half; then the last half stick overpowered. I switched to Los Rios wrap for binder. Super pleasant and mild; but not exciting. So I buried a half leaf of Nic seco in the middle. Home run.

Took a long time to come up with because the intense heat has prevented me smoking or anything else outside.

This makes a complicated blend for me. When you consider that the T-13 is already criollo grafted on piloto, the blend essentially winds up as:

2 parts criollo viso from Cibao valley DR
2 parts piloto viso from Cibao valley DR
1 part hab seco from Condega valley Nicaragua
bound in Los Rios who knows what seed from Ecuador
wrapped in air cured Ugandan who knows what seed

I think this stick has great character and terrific morning mouth.