What's new

Blind Reviews - April 2012 - Cigar A

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
The reviews below were posted blind by all participants.

What they are finding out now is that this cigar is?

Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 Sungrown.

I have had these in my humi for just over 6 months.
I picked up the last half + of a box from a local B&M as they had them for a decent price.

Last edited:

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Cigar A.

6x48 or 50

Chocolate-brown wrapper, toothy on one side, rough double cap.

Not much of any smell on the pre-light, maybe a little chocolate. Not much to the cold draw.

Despite the very loose looking foot, it has a nice draw, not loose at all. Actually, a very nice draw.

1st 3rd: Some really nice flavor. Chocolate and some coffee underbelly. No spice. Thought it was Dominican at first because of the pistachio retrohale, bit it's building a little and I think it might be Nicaraguan. Not too much niccotine either. Nice even burn with slightly flaky gray ash. Med body, med flavor. I'm kind of digging this.

2nd 3rd: More coffee, less chocolate. Slows down a bit. Starting to a build a little as I round third. Still great burn. No problems.

3rd 3rd: More coffee, sweeter and deeper flavor. The chocolate becomes the underbelly and there is a little spice. Even in the nub, the nicotine is not heavy.

Overall: A nice stick. Great flavors that become deeper throughout. Nothing too complex, just a good cigar that has some age on it. I think Nicaraguan. With the construction, this might be a bundle but if it is, I got one of the really good ones. The double cap makes me think this is not a cc. I hate to even venture a guess so I will come back to it after I think for a little while.

Rating: I'm in for a fiver if it's not too expensive.

Last edited:

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Cigar A Review (my first ever review, so bear with me! ;))

Looks to be 6x48

Light brown wrapper, very toothy, slightly sloppy looking double cap, moderate veins.

Pre-light draw is good, just right resistance, slight coffee note.

First Third: Decent flavors. Slight cedar note and some coffee flavors in the background. Not much in the way of smoke production, pretty even burn with a flaky salt & pepper ash. Definitely medium in body. Flavors aren't overwhelming at all.

Second Third: Coffee is becoming more pronounced, chocolate & woody flavors lingering. Burn becomes a little wavy & needs a slight touch-up.

Third Third: Chocolate, coffee & wood ramps up a touch. Very smooth on the retrohale. Still solidly in the medium range. Approachable flavors. Smoke production still isn't much, but increases slightly. I feel like I've smoked this cigar before, but I can't put my finger on it.

Overall: I enjoyed this cigar. Not a powerhouse in terms of flavor or body by any means, but still very enjoyable. Not saying its on the same level, but kind of reminds me of a AF Hemmingway in terms of smoothness & subtle flavors.

Rating: I'd buy at least a 5er of these. If pressed for a number, I'd rate it a solid 86-87

Guess: I'm gonna say a known brand Nicaraguan - hopefully I didn't embarrass myself too much! :)

Last edited:

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
It is tougher than it looks. I've gained a new sense of respect for the many guys here that make it look easy. What you think you taste isn't always easy to put in coherent sentences. I really enjoyed the one I did today though!

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
It is tougher than it looks. I've gained a new sense of respect for the many guys here that make it look easy. What you think you taste isn't always easy to put in coherent sentences. I really enjoyed the one I did today though!
Absolutely. Great review, by the way.

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
Blind Review A

The Specs
Manufactured: UNK
Length/Gauge: 6” x 46
Wrapper/Filler: UNK
Price: UNK

Appearance & Construction
Dark chocolate brown wrapper; well constructed, minor veins, very nice seams, excellent cap. Cut cleanly with Xikar V cutter. Draw is just a hair tight.
Grade: B+

Flavor
Pre-light: Slight barnyard aroma from the stick, pre-light draw gives a slightly sweet wood taste.

1st 3rd: First light, very mild, no spice. Very clean, classic tobacco flavor. Draw is a tad snug, but no problems. Lots of smoke coming from the foot and on the draw, smoke is plentiful but not thick or chewy. About ½” in starting to get a mild black pepper flavor on the finish. Still at mild to medium(-).

2nd 3rd: Black pepper flavor increasing a bit, mostly on the finish which is fairly long. Some slight sweetness, almost chocolate is present but it’s fleeting. Same classic tobacco flavor but deepening and becoming more rich. Pepper on the finish is still present but more of a background flavor. Strength has increased some, but still medium(-) to medium.

Home stretch: Strength has ramped up; however pepper flavor is still a background note. Flavor is dark roast coffee, tasty but some bitterness. Stick is finishing at full(-) to full, but no nic rush.
Grade: B+

Value
I don’t know what the price point is, but this is one yummy stick and definitely something I would pay for.
Grade: B+/UNK value

Final Thoughts
Very enjoyable stick, definitely something I would have in my humidor.
Final Overall Grade: B+

Guess
I think I’ve had similar sticks, but the size/gage is throwing me off. My guess: Cain Madruo

Attachments

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
This is my first review ever, so please don't be too hard on it.

Prelight - Cigar "A" is a decent looking stick. A couple of veins but nothing crazy. I clipped the cap and took a few cold draws, mostly taste tobacco, slight barnyard.

1st 3rd - Within the first few puffs, I am immeadiately reminded of something I have smoked before, although I have no idea what. I don't really pick out notes of flavors, thats just not something I can do, but I can say it tastes like Domincan tobacco. It has a similar spice to some other Dominican sticks I have smoked. So far the burn is razor sharp and the ash is holding on. This is a well constructed cigar.

2nd 3rd - Starting into the 2nd 3rd the draw and burn continue to be great. The ash is still holding strong and the spice is ramping up, making the tip of my tongue tingle. The flavor of this cigar is quite enjoyable. I would be extremely surprised if this wasnt a premium cigar. The performance has been flawless up to this point and I would consider this a med/med cigar. A little less than halfway through and the ash finally dropped. I still cannot quite figure out what this is.

Final 3rd - Starting into the final 3rd, most everything is the same. Performance is perfect and the flavors are consitent. The only change I am noticing is in the amount of spice, it seems to have died down a bit. The smoke output is right on, as it has been the entire time. Very consistent up to this point.

Conclusion - I enjoyed this cigar from start to finish. Although it wasn't overly complex, it had a really pleasant flavor profile. In terms of strength, it was little toned down compared to what I usually smoke, but it is a welcomed change of pace. The perfomance and construction were mostly perfect, although towards the very end the burn got a little bit uneven and the flavors got a little mudded. I would not take away points for it, just making note. The smoke was crisp, not overpowering and the spice was more of a compliment to the overall flavor profile than a stand out component.

I have no clue what I just smoked, but as I said, I feel it either is from the Dominican, or at least has some tobacco from there in it.

I would definitely pick up a few more of these, it is a great morning smoke. Overall smoking time was just over an hour.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Pre-Light Inspection
6x48 - Although I only used a Viaje 50/50 black toro to measure the mystery stick
Double cap that looks kind of lop sided, Medium size veins prominent on one side of the cigar. Light brown wrapper with a few cracks, and lots of pectin.
Perfect resistance on the cold draw and I simply taste tobacco, wrapper and foot smell of sweet cedar.

1st) Starts with a burst of leather that quickly backs down and has a light to medium roast coffee shine through. There are hints of sweetness coming through from time to time. Draw is perfect. The ash is holding pretty firm, although i hit it on my keyboard and knocked a side of it off.

2nd) Starting the 2nd third the ash is still holding pretty firm. The Sweetness has come to stay and seems to evenly balance the coffee notes. Leather is now only present in the retrohale. At the halfway point the ash drops. A bitterness comes in that's pretty strong, but not terribly unpleasant. I switch to a lightly creamed coffee pairing at this point.

3rd) No change here with the cigar. Same flavors, still good, but not worth burning myself. Tossed at about an inch left

Conclusion: Nice Mild - medium (hopefully) bargain cigar. Good appareant flavor, with no real changes throughout.
Fianl Thoughts: I would suggest this as a morning cigar with coffee. If the price was right I could see buying a few as pass around sticks.
Guess: Not really sure. The quality of the cap and the amount of wrapper glue on this makes me think it could possibly be a second. At first I thought it could possibly be by Gran Habano, but I don't believe they make a cigar that's 6x48, which this appears to be.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0

Size: 6 x ~48
Wrapper: Unknown
Binder: Unknown
Filler: Unknown
Price: Unknown

Intro: Fourtotheflush was kind enough to run another Blind Review and this is the first stick up for review.

Prelight: Cigar A features a chocolate wrapper, mottled with a darker brown in places. Rough looking. Handful of smaller veins. There are a few patches of cigar glue visible on the wrapper. Seams are tight, but the tobacco looks like it was stretched too much and is bunched in places. Running the cigar past my sniffer I get a very salty aroma from the wrapper and an earthy tobacco aroma from the foot. The last 1/2 inch or so of the foot feels underpacked in comparison with the rest of the cigar. Severed the cap with my Palio revealing a slightly tight draw. Didn't get much from the cold draw, faint nuttiness was all. Fired it up with a Ronson and we're smokin'...

First Third: Took it a few puffs before the flavor started coming though and when it did I got a light leather with a sweetness that gave me the impression of cookies...chocolate chip. By impression I mean after a few puffs I wanted to walk down to the store and get some cookies. And some coffee on the retro hale. The burn started out wavy, but quickly corrected itself. Draw loosened up a little now that the cigar was ablaze. Smoke output was good, though not that you could tell while it was at rest. Ash was bright white and fell in 1/2 inch clumps.

Second Third: Much the same as the first third. Though there started to creep in a harsh chemical flavor. Purged it and seemed to help some. Purged it again, but didn't do any more good.

Last Third: Chemical harshness was still present. Really starting to detract from the flavors now though. Was contemplaing putting it down when it made the decision for me and went out on its own.

Final Thoughts: Given the general appearance and the way it started I would tend to agree with everyone that this could certainly be a bundle cigar. I wasn't terribly impressed with the experience. Certainly the hard chemical flavor tainted the cigar, but even before that the flavors were kind of muted. In the cigar's defense I do feel like it probably was overhumidified some. As for what it is, well I'm not sure. Kinda hard to tell with what I got out of it. Definitely not Nicaraguan (all or mostly) judging from the lack of pepper and spice. Not Dominican either. I'd say it's going to be a mix of tobacco. Thanks Fourtotheflush for putting this together and I look forward to the remaining three.

Dan

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I'm going to guess some type of RP. Thanks for the reviews guys. Reminds me with that wrapper and the bitterness (chemical) dans describing.