What's new

Blind Reviews - April 2012 - Cigar A

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Ok soon to be 7 down 1 to go!
(Bill cateach, pmed me saying he is a bit under the weather)

You guys may have to wait a couple extra days for the reveal!

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
You guys are doing a great job on the reviews. I've never done one so I can only imagine what some of you are going through. I am really enjoying this thread and want to say keep up the good work gentlemen!!!

MICSTOGIE

Gear-Head-Banger
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Pre-light, the construction looked “messy”, not the best looking cigar, not much on the cold draw

1st – Great draw, good smoke output, sharp burn…slight coffee hints with chocolate, no spice at all. Pepper building on the finish toward the end

2nd – Medium in body, pepper in the finish, not very strong. Ash holds for a ½ inch or so, burn line is great too. Smoke is creamy kinda sweet. Flavors are the same, I’m liking this cigar.

Final – Started the same as the 2nd, still no spice with a little pepper. A solid medium in body & still a sharp burn line. This cigar hasn’t changed much for me, still the same flavors, more of a bitter coffee. I too got a slight metallic taste towards the end and I put it down shortly after.

Conclusion, not a bad cigar. I was trying to overcome some nasty allergies, but I don’t think I missed anything. Total burn time was about an hour. I feel that I had a cigar like this before, I am thinking RP 1961

Last edited:
Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
Really loving these reviews guys, can't wait for the reveal. I still have the feeling this is a non Cuban Hoyo de Monterrey.

CaTeacher

BoM May 2012
Rating - 100%
222   0   0
FTTF Blind Review Cigar A

First of all I want to apologize for this taking so long. I’ve been sick for about 3 weeks now and just today was finally able to breathe through my nose for more than a five minute stretch, although my cough is still pretty bad. I was sure the other reviewers were eager to find the results of stick A, so I gave it a go today.

Since this is a blind taste test I didn’t want to do anything in regards to research, measurements, etc. so I don’t know the exact size, but I’d venture to guess something close to a traditional toro size.

Appearance and Construction – A very rugged looking stick with a brown wrapper. Some visible veins and a hard spot where a couple veins or tree trunks met. There were a few soft spots as well throughout this cigar, but nothing too bad. Slightly spongy when pinched, but rebounds nicely.

Pre-light – Didn’t get much in terms of flavor or taste, but after a couple draws had a faint tingle on my lips. Keep in mind I probably should not even be smoking right now. Draw seemed solid, so I fired it up.

1/3 – Upon lighting I was immediately greeted with a slight blast of pepper, with a hint of cedar in the background. Burn and draw were both doing well. Grayish ash held for about a half inch.

2/3 – Not much changed flavor wise for me here, however, things started to get a little interesting. I noticed that the cigar was emitting smoke about a half inch below the burn line. Upon looking more carefully, I noticed a little hole there (first thought beetle!)

I stopped smoking here and waited for the burn to reach where the hole was. When it did, this was left behind. More evidence pointing towards beetle. I immediately thought of how happy I was that these sticks are segregated from the rest of my stash in my Cigar Caddy with a Boveda just in case it was in fact a beetle hole.

At this point it was more about curiosity than anything else, because I have not personally dealt with this before. However, in the true spirit of the taste test I kept on trucking, but was kind of grossed out about the thought.

3/3 – The pepper gave way to the cedar here, but didn’t really get much else out of this one. The draw and burn were very solid throughout.

I apologize for some of the blurry pictures, but it's the best I could do with my phone.

Final thoughts – I wasn’t very impressed by this one, but I’m sure my cold had a lot to do with my tastes. Certainly not something I’d seek out. I really have no idea what this is. The initial blast of pepper would have me think something Pepin, but I’d be surprised if it were, so I’ll guess an Old Henry. I’m more concerned if that was a beetle hole or not. My guess is yes.

I would have rated this a 65 without the beetle and a 5 with the beetle.

BTW - I inspected the cigar caddy for any dust, beetles etc, and didn't see anything.

Last edited:

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Damn!
I am going to have to inspect all my cigars now!
I look at them frequently, and haven't noticed any evedence of beetles.
But I also didn't see this hole!
Also when packIng them up I didn't see a hole in the celo

Team please segregate these from the rest of your cigars.
Just in case.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I will be checking my humi the second I get home.
Unfortunately for me these were in my larger humi for a while and not segregated.
Then as I was putting this together, I moved them to a desktop as it took me a couple days to put this together.

Check the 2nd Post for the reveal!

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
The reviews below were posted blind by all participants.

What they are finding out now is that this cigar is?

Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 Sungrown.

I have had these in my humi for just over 6 months.
I picked up the last half + of a box from a local B&M as they had them for a decent price.
Interesting! I guess my comparison to an AF Hemingway wasn't too far off after all! This is really fun! :)

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Is this Bad?

I want to leave work now to check my humi's?

I didnt feel this way this AM when I ready Bills review, but now festering all day, Im getting anxious!

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
I just checked the the C & D sticks (already smoked & posted B) and cannot find any damage to these 2, and the rest of the sticks (20+) in the humi are fine. This is my small desk top I use to dry box & it gets to warm room temp daily. I think if there was an issue it would have hit me.

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I just went through every stick I own.
and a few ballers walkins;)

Fortunately for me, I do not show any signs of a beetle outbreak.
No dust, no holes, no nothing.

I think you all are safe, appears to be a 1 off issue, either one was in that stick and died and bill smoked it or just an odd roll/tobacco issue.