What's new

Blind Reviews - April 2012 - Cigar D

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Cigar D

Prelight: Very nice looking cigar, rich chocolate brown wrapper that is smooth to the touch. Construction looks fantastic on this stick. After I clipped the cap, I took a cold draw. The flavors on the cold draw are something I can only describe a Liga type of flavor.

1st 3rd: The cigar starts with an undeniable blast of pepper and flavor. I can make my guess right away after tasting the first puff. I am hit with a powerful spice followed by a rich tobacco flavor. The spice is picking up as I progress through the 1st 3rd, being the dominant flavor. The ash is holding on strong, and smoke is just pouring off of the foot. I have only ever smoked two cigars that pour smoke like this, one being the Undercrown and the other being a Liga Privada. The ash fell as I started in on the 2nd 3rd.

2nd 3rd: Moving into the 2nd 3rd, I am still getting all that spice, but on the back end I am getting a sweetness that balances it out. The burn up to this point is flawless, and that makes me rule out the Undercrown. Smoke continues to billow off the foot. The flavors have intensified as it moves into the 3rd 3rd and this cigar is really doing it for me, just really bringing it.

3rd 3rd: Coming into the last 3rd, the cigar remains consistently great. The burn is perfect and the flavors have really melded nicely together. The spice is present alongside the sweet tobacco flavor I tasted in the second 3rd. I can’t get enough of this one. The wrapper did split a little towards the nub, but nothing that takes away from the cigar in any way. There is a distinct “twang” that Liga cigars give off and I have tasted it throughout this entire cigar. If it is not a Liga, I will eat my hat.

Summary: This is easily my favorite out of the 4. Just really hitting on everything I love about cigars. I like a full/full cigar with lots of spice, and this delivered 100%. As I said, I don’t think there is any denying what factory this cigar came from. After smoking this, my guess would be a Liga Privada T52 toro. At first I thought it may be an Undercrown or #9, but as the smoke progressed, it left no doubt in my mind that this was a T52.

Attachments

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Great reviews, guys.

Judging from the photos, descriptions, and smoke output -- it certainly sounds like it is a T52.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
First, sorry it took so long to post this up. I sat down several times to write it up and couldn't find the words. Still not satisfied, but for the sake of expediting this process here ya go...

Size: 6 x 52
Wrapper: Unknown
Binder: Unknown
Filler: Unknown
Price: Unknown

Intro: Of all the cigars that came for blind review I've been looking forward to this one the most. Why? It's dark and oily and that's how I like it :grin:. So with much excitement I sat down to fire it up...

Prelight: As I've already alluded to the wrapper on is cigar is dark and very oily. It's hefty too. When I retrieved it from the 5 finger bag I thought "Holy Crap, you could cold-cock someone with this thing!" And it was rock solid as well. There are a few veins present, but nothing major and the seams blend in nicely with the rest of the cigar. There was a slightly pungent, sweet cedar aroma wafting off the cigar...quite nice. Moving on I cut the cap off with my Palio and noticed there was a small divit in the middle of the cigar. No big deal, I've see it in other cigars. But when I proceeded to the first cold draw, wham...nothing but a mouth full of small pieces of tobacco. WTF!? I spit and spit and eventually had to go rinse my mouth out. Coming back to the cigar I tilted it upside down and this was the result...

After the small flakes stopped coming out I was still getting a few on the draw, but decided to just get on with things. Grabbed the lighter and...

First Third: Holy shitballs Batman, this thing is smoking!!

Only one cigar that's this dark and oily, that smokes like this existst to my knowledge. This is a LP...probably a #9, but the flavors weren't quite there for me to put a finger on it for sure. No pepper, sort of a Juniper or Spruce flavor. Kind of like an herbal tea flavor. And some sweet coffee notes on the retro-hale. Burn was straight and the ash held very strong.

Second Third: At this point the cigar had stopped shedding loose tobacco, thankfully. Still smoking like a steam engine and the smoke had an oily texture to it. The Juniper/Spruce flavor had become a more generic woody flavor. Still some slightly sweet coffee on the retro. A bit of leather on the finish. Burn was still spot on. Ash was a brilliant white next to the darkness of the wrapper.

Last Third: Finishing up nicely. The Juniper/Spruce had completely faded into a strong woody flavor, notes of faint leather, coffee on the retro with some sweet spice to it. Burn needed a little touch up, but nothing major.

Final Thoughts: What started out to be a bad experience turned out okay. I'm not sure what was up with the small pieces of tobacco though I strongly suspect an entomological answer is the correct one. I seem to remember an issue being raised about one of the blind review cigars having holes in it, can't remember which though. I did not find any holes in the wrapper anywhere. I'd keep an eye on things in your humidor Neil...just sayin'. All things considered, I'm hesitant to say for sure LP, but the evidence strongly suggests it. If it's not I'd be very interested to see what the price point is.

Dan

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Nice chocolate brown wrapper, nothing to measure with somewhere between robusto-toro
1/3) Upon lighting there is a quick burst of spice that dominates the first puff. The spice is quickly followed by a bouquet of earthy flavors, cocoa, leather, and hay. The smoke production is nothing short of amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if people though Sam Houston was on fire.
2/3) The spice has toned down and now peacefully sits on the sidelines. The hay flavor hasn't made reappearance since the beginning. The smoke is very creamy and coats the palate.
3/3 Not much to say here except the spice picks back up a bit. All the flavors blend real well together and all are easily picked out.
Final Thoughts: Liga! I'm gonna say Undercrown. Good smoke! Camera died before I finished smoking.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
So the panel below didn't realize that the all reviewed

Different cigars

CaTeacher
Danthebugman
Micstogie
All reviewed a Liga T52

THEJAVAMAN ;)
Monster dog
Both reviewed a Liga #9

Otaku
Atl
1camteg
All reviewed a Liga Undercrown
Tricky, tricky! I got it right!?!? Sweet. Thanks again, Neil. I had a great time doing these.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Thanks to FTTF and company for putting this together!!!!!

I cannot beleive what I reviewed was an Undercrown. All of the ones I have purchased locally have been like a punishment to smoke. The cigars would pour smoke off the foot, but for the life of me I couldn't get any smoke on the draw. If all of the Undercrowns I purchased smoked like that one did, I'd have been buying boxes.

Anyways, thanks again for the chance to make an ass of myself!! :applause:

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Thanks to FTTF and company for putting this together!!!!!

I cannot beleive what I reviewed was an Undercrown. All of the ones I have purchased locally have been like a punishment to smoke. The cigars would pour smoke off the foot, but for the life of me I couldn't get any smoke on the draw. If all of the Undercrowns I purchased smoked like that one did, I'd have been buying boxes.

Anyways, thanks again for the chance to make an ass of myself!! :applause:
I know that there was a problem with the OR of them being a bit wet, so maybe the 2nd run was a little dryer/better or some of the OR drying out a bit would also be better.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
It is torture! I have a couple dryboxing now. After finding out I reviewed an UC, I went and grabbed some and stuck them in a drybox.