What's new

Blowing Smoke (through nose)

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Funny, I always thought it was the most simple thing - don't inhale, close your mouth, and blow the smoke through your nose. No biggie.
I never smoked cigarettes, and found it extremely easy to do. (And I have yet to figure out how to whistle.) Just blow most of the smoke out of your mouth and then exhale the rest through your nose.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never smoked cigarettes, and found it extremely easy to do. (And I have yet to figure out how to whistle.) Just blow most of the smoke out of your mouth and then exhale the rest through your nose.
Easy to say, but the opening from mouth to nose is completely closed for me when smoking.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
On occasion, I use a technique I call "lapping" that has the result of sending smoke out my nose. For me, the joy of cigar is in the aromas along the length of the body and to a lesser degree, from the foot as I swirl the end around my face to pick up nuances there. I do not enjoy smoke going up my nose, as it stings and actually causes the sinus to close to a drgree in defense of the assault on those delicate linings. And once the sinuses close, there is diminished aroma perception or taste. I never, ever inhale, even through the nose, as in "Frenching." But about a dozen times a stick, I will taste the smoke at various points during consumption, through this technique.

"Lapping" is just as it sounds, involving the tongue and lips, as if lapping water from a stream, only the tongue never travels outside the mouth. I believe George Burns used to use this technique during his stage act (if you are old enough remember seeing him) as he smoked a cigar almost always. Take a full draw and blow out - through the mouth - about half to 3/4 of the smoke depending on the strength of the cigar or your experience at doing this since, as others have mentioned, it can cause a choking or burning sensation if too much smoke is forced out the nose. Holding the remainder of the smoke in your mouth, start "clicking" the tongue against the roof of the mouth while the lips open and close slightly in sync - lapping. Smoke will be driven up through the nostrils as well as you getting a taste of the smoke on your palate and tongue. Think George Burns and you will know why people use the term "creamy" to sometime describe smoke.

Ok, at the risk of looking and feeling a little odd, I'll give this a shot... In private.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tried exhaling through the nose some tonight. Can't say I enjoyed it much, but I did manage to do it.

I think I get enough of the smoke in my nose through normal smoking and inhaling while the exhaled smoke still lingers. I don't know that I need to push it directly through the nostrils.

No idea how CuritibaRex' method is supposed to work. I "clicked" like an idiot for a while, but wasn't sure what was supposed to be happening.

Rating - 0%
0   1   0
The "lapping" technique is actually the way I learned. Believe it or not I actually read a whole article on doing this. I just wish I could remember where I read it. It was simple enough that I could even understand it. If I happen to think of it I will post an update.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:I really cannot believe this thread.:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay, think I'm done for a while with the exhalation stuff.

I can get a pretty good olfactory addition by "sniffing" at the smoke as I exhale.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I gotta laugh at some of these 'lapping' & 'clicking' techniques - not so much doing them, but labeling them & others attempting to do them in privacy... It's just to funny...

Smoke using whatever technique works for you! Even though I push smoke through my nose all the time, I'd like to get out of the habit as it irritates my sinuses.

Enjoy the cigar... But I'm gonna try & check out some old George Burns footage - I used to love watching that guy.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I agree with those that say it enhances the smoking experience a great deal with just a very small amount of the total volume of smoke from the nose.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps I confused people by using the term "lapping." I am sorry. Think of it as if tasting wine. After swallowing a little wine from the glass, most winetasters will try to get an aftertaste from the palate by using the tongue and lips in kind of an "empty chewing" manner of tasting the inside of the mouth. We all do it when asked by the chef to specifically evaluate whether more seasoning is needed when tasting a spoonful of broth (or something similar) from the stove. (Oh, no ... there's another series of jokes!)

If one does that same tasting mannerism with smoke in the mouth, there is usually some kind of soft clicking or smacking sound heard by the one doing it. This is all it takes (the mannerism, not the sound) to get the smoke to come up through the nostrils AND get the sensation of taste.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
My wife can't do it either - I on the other hand can't stop doing it...

Close your mouth and breath through your nose.
Now roll your tongue from tip to back from your teeth to the roof of your mouth pushing the air out through your nose.
Now hold your breath & repeat.

That's pretty much it, until you have a cigar dangling & take a pull/sip/drag of it, hold the smoke in your mouth for a few seconds (allowing it to cool & line your palate with it's flavor), then open the tonsil/passage (open your mouth a bit too!) to allow you to use your tongue to push the smoke out.

WARNING: the first time you do this - it's gonna burn.

That's why I suggest a bit of 'practice'. not only so you can get the hang of doing it, but so that you can regulate how much is being pushed through your nose - I usually try to push most of it out my mouth & 25% through my nose.

This method works. Just tried it out on a Tat Angeles. Very effective. and yep, the first time burned, but not so bad that i didn't do it again...and again...and again.

Rating - 94.5%
85   3   0
I have always known this to be called "retrohaling". To me it is essential to getting the full olfactory experience from a cigar. Much like certain areas of the tongue respond to different flavors (sour, spicy, sweet, etc) You miss out on part of the total experience and body of the cigar without the retrohale. You don't have to exhale much, but you will definitely pick up certain spices and flavors that you do not experience by simply holding the smoke in your mouth.