What's new

BOTL Pipe Newbie Sampler Thread

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
OK guys. I hope I don't get in any trouble here for breaking any rules, but this is happening. I wanted to wait until I had completed my cigar newbie trade (as per the rules) but @redneck_toy was very persistent lol. So he volunteered to send me some stuff, but I went ahead and got a box out to him first, so let's say that this is happening as an official pipe newbie trade? Cool. Oh, and this:

9505 5000 2166 6350 0100 60

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please remove me from the list.. Thanks.. I've already done my cigar newbie trade but no one can get sponsored here so I don't want my time wasted or to waste anyone else's time..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
OK guys. I hope I don't get in any trouble here for breaking any rules, but this is happening. I wanted to wait until I had completed my cigar newbie trade (as per the rules) but @redneck_toy was very persistent lol. So he volunteered to send me some stuff, but I went ahead and got a box out to him first, so let's say that this is happening as an official pipe newbie trade? Cool. Oh, and this:

9505 5000 2166 6350 0100 60
No one should get mad. In fact, it doesn't even have to be part of the Newbie trade thread, jmo

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Please remove me from the list.. Thanks.. I've already done my cigar newbie trade but no one can get sponsored here so I don't want my time wasted or to waste anyone else's time..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Spend a little time getting to know some people on the forum, contribute a little. Someone would have picked you up. You've made 12 posts since joining, most of them have been in the Newb Trades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Alright, I jumped right in and took @VeLoRoK in as a newbie sampler trade that morphed from a thread in the general pipe section. Hope everyone is ok with that. I figured I would document the trade in this thread, and at least TRY to follow some of the rules.
Jason sent a great selection of smokes for his end of the trade.

This is a great selection of sticks. Much better than the Gurkhas and 5 Vegas I see from most of these types of trades. ( No offense if those are your preferred smokes, just not mine)
After a brief discussion with Jason, it seems we have pretty similar tastes in cigars, so this should be fairly easy for me to narrow down my choices to send.
Anyway, give me a few days to gather up all the stuff I need for the trade, and I have to get to Amarillo Friday for some last minute Christmas shopping, where I can pick up some of the things needed for this trade, most notably a cob pipe.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I posted here last month wanting to get sponsored. I would very much enjoy to get started with pipe tobacco and I think this is the best avenue. I feel I have a good selection of sticks that I can tribute to my sponsor.

I use to be active here last year but with a new job and a move, I had to take a step back so I didn't buy as much ;).

Let me know if anyone wants to pick me up!

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I posted here last month wanting to get sponsored. I would very much enjoy to get started with pipe tobacco and I think this is the best avenue. I feel I have a good selection of sticks that I can tribute to my sponsor.

I use to be active here last year but with a new job and a move, I had to take a step back so I didn't buy as much ;).

Let me know if anyone wants to pick me up!
Let's get through the holidays, and if someone haven't picked you up by new years, I'll be glad to. I just have too many balls in the air to do it at the moment. Sound good?

EDIT: I do remember you posting on here pretty frequently a while back

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Let's get through the holidays, and if someone haven't picked you up by new years, I'll be glad to. I just have too many balls in the air to do it at the moment. Sound good?

EDIT: I do remember you posting on here pretty frequently a while back
That sounds good to me! I'm in no real rush. In fact, I'll just wait till you're ready if that's okay with you. I appreciate it!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Holy hell! What do i even do with all of this? @redneck_toy this is waaaaaay to kind! Holy crap! Where should I start? How many bowls can I have a day with only one pipe? My dad is sending me some of his collection, some nice Stanwells. Until then, though, the cob is my only one. Oh man! I'm so excited!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm pretty sure you can smoke the cob as much as you want a day and they don't need much "rest" as briar tobacco pipes. Although, I do suggest giving it a little bit of rest in between to cool down a little bit. At least that's what I would do. Plus, you'd be surprised how many people smoke nothing but their corn cob pipes.

Enjoy this slippery slope brother!! And any questions about piping we're here to help.

Oh and nice work Robert @redneck_toy .....you bully!!!! ;)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
With permission from Dave, I'm going to try and help out with the pipe newbie sampler trades also. I'd love to put a hurting I mean help some of the brothers who are curious about piping. I just need a little bit of time to stockpile some supplies.

Maybe we can try to get this like the cigar newbie trade but keep the rules as Dave has them implemented. I'd like to do my best and step up to try and help get this revived.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Well, a few blends in and I can say that I've learned a lot already, and I've liked everything I've tried. I like smoking a pipe. Like, a lot. I mean I really, really, like it. Here are a few things I've learned:

• Trying to figure out how to pack the pipe enough to get at least a tiny bit of resistance on the draw, I ended up with a solid plug of tobacco that wouldn't smoke or stay lit. Yet, there was still no resistance on the draw at all. It was like trying to drink from a straw with an extra hole in it. The next day I discovered that there was a crack in the shank of the pipe. No wonder.

• Taping up the crack worked for a bowl. After that it kind of loosened up and I was awkwardly holding the tape in place while smoking. Not super pleasant.

• I sealed the crack with some wood glue. We'll see how that works later.

• When the crack is sealed the Frank method pretty much is perfect. I had a bowl yesterday that smoked beautifully, and I only had to relight it once.

• Right off the bat I think I like the smokier, heartier blends.

• And the thing I like the most is how incredibly refreshed my palate was last night when I smoked my first cigar since trying the pipe. It was the best cigar I've ever had, and I've had it a couple times before and thought it was good but I had never tasted anything like that…the depth, layers, transitions and whatnot were unlike any other smoking experience I've ever had. Now, I suppose that it's not very scientific after only smoking a pipe for a couple days and having had one cigar in that time, but believe me I'll be repeating for scientific purposes just about every night. It could also be the new humidifier I bought for the apartment that has fixed my sinuses. Who knows.

• Thus, I find myself envisioning a pattern in which I enjoy a bowl or two a day, then a cigar at night, and pretty much have the best life ever. What a great thing, this leaf is. And such wonderful people to help others enjoy it. I'm very grateful to BOTL and it's awesome members.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well, a few blends in and I can say that I've learned a lot already, and I've liked everything I've tried. I like smoking a pipe. Like, a lot. I mean I really, really, like it. Here are a few things I've learned:

• Trying to figure out how to pack the pipe enough to get at least a tiny bit of resistance on the draw, I ended up with a solid plug of tobacco that wouldn't smoke or stay lit. Yet, there was still no resistance on the draw at all. It was like trying to drink from a straw with an extra hole in it. The next day I discovered that there was a crack in the shank of the pipe. No wonder.

• Taping up the crack worked for a bowl. After that it kind of loosened up and I was awkwardly holding the tape in place while smoking. Not super pleasant.

• I sealed the crack with some wood glue. We'll see how that works later.

• When the crack is sealed the Frank method pretty much is perfect. I had a bowl yesterday that smoked beautifully, and I only had to relight it once.

• Right off the bat I think I like the smokier, heartier blends.

• And the thing I like the most is how incredibly refreshed my palate was last night when I smoked my first cigar since trying the pipe. It was the best cigar I've ever had, and I've had it a couple times before and thought it was good but I had never tasted anything like that…the depth, layers, transitions and whatnot were unlike any other smoking experience I've ever had. Now, I suppose that it's not very scientific after only smoking a pipe for a couple days and having had one cigar in that time, but believe me I'll be repeating for scientific purposes just about every night. It could also be the new humidifier I bought for the apartment that has fixed my sinuses. Who knows.

• Thus, I find myself envisioning a pattern in which I enjoy a bowl or two a day, then a cigar at night, and pretty much have the best life ever. What a great thing, this leaf is. And such wonderful people to help others enjoy it. I'm very grateful to BOTL and it's awesome members.
Glad to see you're already enjoying it. And relights aren't a bad thing either luckily you only needed to do it once. Check out all the pipe threads too and see what everyone else is smoking and from there you can expand your palate. Plus I find piping a tad cheaper too. Although it's still a very slippery slope just as it is for cigars.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I THINK Robert @redneck_toy was going to take him up on the trade?

I can jump in as well. I just need to stockpile some supplies to nuke, I mean help a noob into the piping world. So for me, it's going to take a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok cool, all good. I've got everything ready to fire except for the cob which I can order on SP. But if @redneck_toy is on it, I'll wait for the next victim...err... newbie