What's new

Botl Plugged Cigar Review Panel

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm in if you need another, I smoke 3-4 in the summer/week probably 1-2 right now. I would say 95% NC.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I'll have a pm out to all of the guys on the list tomorrow. Thanks for the bump. Holidays were getting in the way:)

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
This sounds interesting, but are plugged cigars that much of a problem. I honestly can't remember the last time I had this problem. Although now that I have said that I am sure I will run across one real soon.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
No to my knowledge across the board theyre only a minor inconvenience. Sometimes we do stuff for other data. Like just how many cigars are plugged and how many are plugged in a brand.

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
I would agree with this statement by Jfire. I can only think of 3 or 4 CCs in the last year and 1 NC that were plugged. I'm interested if we're going to rank the "plug" by different categories. I say this because I've talked to someone at a B&M that thought a tight draw was a plug. Maybe something like "loose draw," "normal draw," "tight draw," and "plugged" categories would be good to associate to each smoke, although it will be difficult to get everyone to consistently follow this categorization scheme. I think you definitely need to define what a "plugged" cigar means... just a few thoughts.

No to my knowledge across the board theyre only a minor inconvenience. Sometimes we do stuff for other data. Like just how many cigars are plugged and how many are plugged in a brand.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would agree with this statement by Jfire. I can only think of 3 or 4 CCs in the last year and 1 NC that were plugged. I'm interested if we're going to rank the "plug" by different categories. I say this because I've talked to someone at a B&M that thought a tight draw was a plug. Maybe something like "loose draw," "normal draw," "tight draw," and "plugged" categories would be good to associate to each smoke, although it will be difficult to get everyone to consistently follow this categorization scheme. I think you definitely need to define what a "plugged" cigar means... just a few thoughts.
I agree with Jonathan. You need a scale to determine the severity. It ought to help guys figure out tight vs plugged a bit better.

Why not track other data with this? You are tracking for an entire year, but only concerned about plugged or not? Seems like you could have guys note wrapper construction, burn characteristics, dry boxed or not, etc. You don't need all the reviews of the smokes, but some other data to help the rest of us determine the validity of the study might be beneficial. Just my thought if I was putting in the time to do this.

Tnt Cigarguy

BoM Jan 12
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
So Jfire and others this is an offer to you. I am an excel wiz(I know Jdog is also), I would be happy to set up a google docs spreadsheet for everyone that is participating and then we could see from each person what they are doing and have several categories to mark off on type, draw, plug ect. Would be very easy to keep track that way. Just an offer for you. It would be easy to build and keep track.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
This sounds interesting, but are plugged cigars that much of a problem. I honestly can't remember the last time I had this problem. Although now that I have said that I am sure I will run across one real soon.
Same here, had maybe 4 plugged cigars in the past year and 2 were RH related. Interesting little study, looking forward to the results.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
This was at least partially addressed last month...

A plugged cigar will be any cigar that has no draw or one that has very little. It will also mean any cigar that will need some form of fixing in order for the smoker to enjoy. I.E. draw poker cut extra off the head and constant rolling of the fingers at the time of smoking. Dry boxing does not count due to high of a Rh.
A tight cigar is any cigar that is smokable but has less then optimal draw for the smoker.
If a tight cigar becomes unsmokable at any time during smoking and either needs fixing or needs to be tossed it will be considered plugged.
Please cut and predraw all cigars before lighting. If it can be fixed by dryboxing it is nearly a Rh issue and not plugged.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A spreadsheet is probably a good idea that will actually give the info people want to look at....the obvious parameters are plugged cigars from NC to CC and if there are other parameters that people want to put in then the spreadsheet can include them as well. As far as putting more data like burn rate, wrapper, etc. that is up to the smoker to put that in if they so choose. I like the idea of having the name of the cigar....size.....how plugged it was and if anything was done to alleviate the issue. I've had my share of plugged or hard to smoke cigars but I've already invested and had tools made to fix this issue. I have yet to meet a cigar that I can't fix which has saved me hundreds of dollars over the years and esp. with the marginal cigars that weren't completely plugged but gave you a headache from trying to smoke them.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
A couple more names added and I'm locking out the chance to get in. If I don't get a month or 2 of data from someone unfortunately I'll have to drop you. This is your warning.
I've got time today to get this set up. I'll get all the pms out as well. For everyone listed please start tracking all cigars smoked from Jan 1st and on. Remeber it's either Plugged, exceptable or tight. Please don't light a cigar until it's either drawing correctly or after several days of dry box has occurred. If it's still not drawing after a dry box period it is either now tight or plugged. It is not fair to a brand or vitola on how our Rhs are set. That is why I went with exceptable draw, plugged or tight drawing. Remember if it needs fixing at all the cigar is plugged. (besides dry boxing which is a change not a fix) A drawing cigar should NEVER need fixing from the cigar smoker a unless it's a user Rh issue. Which is why we the smoker can fix this before smoking (sometimes). Then that cigar can be considered exceptable or still tight. If its still too tight it's plugged. I know for me if I'm bordering on a certain cigar I'm going with plugged vs tight, period.
Examples:
-I pull a monte 2 feb 10' out on Jan 1st. It's not drawing well or at all after the cut. I place it in a dry box (3 days Jan ambient rh) it's still drawing to tight. It's is now plugged period. Even if I can fix it. (Cut head more, constant rolling of the fingers, draw poker etc)

-I pull a MF blue label 2011 out. I cut it and it draws very tight. Dry box 3 days and it is still a little tight but decent amounts of air and smoke production.
This cigar is exceptable.

-I pull a 2009 MF PR. It draws near perfect after the cut. This cigar is exceptable.

-I pull out a feb 06 Rass. It is a tent pegg. I drybox 3 days and still almost no draw. I draw poke the cigar and
it's drawing and now smokable. PLUGGED.
Finally
-I pull out a Jun 2009 SLR A. It is tight after the cut. I dry box 3 days and it is borderline exceptable. This cigar is PLUGGED. Most smokers would rather fix it some way then deal with a unexceptable draw and smoke output.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
What's the lo-down on the logistics aspect of the program? How do we submit our results? Justin mentioned a new thread dedicated to the stat collection, but I don't know where it's at...forgive me if I missed something obvious (it won't be the first time).

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
What's the lo-down on the logistics aspect of the program? How do we submit our results? Justin mentioned a new thread dedicated to the stat collection, but I don't know where it's at...forgive me if I missed something obvious (it won't be the first time).
I haven't seen it either, and I am getting ready to light up the first of 2013 in less than 4 hours. :)

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I sent the link to the sub groub I created in the second email to everyone. All u have to do is click the link and then join the subgroup provided. It is not a chat room as a couple have asked. Will be a good place to bounce back questions and any more ideas along the way. Will also help keep down on some of the traffic in this thread. Click on the link and the join the botl 2013 plugged review panel.
http://www.botl.org/community/forums/group.php?groupid=73