What's new

Bow Hunters

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've got some rage mechanicals that I picked up last year when midwayusa put them on clearance.. but I havent ever shot them.. I know a lot of guys rave about the superiority of mechanicals (better accuracy, bigger wound channels, etc).. but I dont shoot much past about 30 yards and dont have a problem keeping 3" groups at that distance.. so accuracy isnt really an issue.. and I prefer reliability over potential wound channel.. so I have stuck with fixed BH's for the most part...

The stingers come razor sharp out of the package and are very easy to keep sharp.. but.. they arent as durable as a Montec.. hit a shoulder bone square with a stinger and you will likely penetrate straight through and into the vitals.. but there is also a pretty good chance you will damage the broadhead beyond repair with that shot as well.... whereas with a G5 youre likely going to crash through the shoulder and hit vitals (assuming you could get it sharp enough prior to using it) and worst case scenario is it is going to come out dull and need to be resharpened before you can use it again..

On the wildebeest referenced above sharpness was an issue and that animal was the primary reason I switched (even though the BH did do its job and ultimately dropped the animal)..

I took a couple of practice shots just before going out that morning.. which dulled the BH (1 shot into a practice target shouldnt have had that much impact.. but it did.. I only fired 3x arrows, 1 time each, to make sure my sights were on and everything with the bow was still ok after traveling 10,000+ miles to the hunt location).. so when I launched on the wildebeest (63lb draw at 18 yards..) what should have easily been a pass through shot resulted in the arrow only penetrating about 7" and just barely reaching vitals..

As soon as he was hit the bastard took off at a lightning fast pace and literally didnt stop running for miles.. we (me, the guide/PH, and the tracker) tracked him for 5 hours.. and then lost him..

Thankfully we recovered him the next day.. at some point in the night he went to a watering hole and finally died.. and was found the next morning by another hunter that was hunting over the watering hole..

Several lessons learned on that hunt.. most of them negative..
Well, we live and learn. I’ve seen a few people with the mechanical broadheads and when they do the field dressing will take a pic of a vital organ if one was hit and show how much it’ll do if you hit them right.

The way people argue and fight sometimes over the broadheads via the interwebs is just unreal. But there’s always some people who try to give valid recommendations and points for broadheads, like you have for me and others who might be reading.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
This lad just got access to some solid billy goat and wild pig hunting properties in QLD Australia. Buckle up munty. The slopes are steep and here we go again! Been researching for a week. But hope to post here soon with a new compound. Can't rush these things, but if past hobbies and my immersion into them is anything to go by. It won't be long....

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
This lad just got access to some solid billy goat and wild pig hunting properties in QLD Australia. Buckle up munty. The slopes are steep and here we go again! Been researching for a week. But hope to post here soon with a new compound. Can't rush these things, but if past hobbies and my immersion into them is anything to go by. It won't be long....
Atta boy!! I just picked up a used bow last year and had it re-strung and tuned. Haven’t been out in the yard with it because, well, my aim is really, really bad. But I enjoyed it so far.

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Well months of research and dedication to learning, I've ended up ordering a Mathews Traverse 2019, HHA Optimizer Tetra single pin sight, mathews 2 peice quiver, integrate Ultra drop away rest, b stinger microhex counter slide stabilizer to balance the quiver so I can shoot with it full of arrows. Starting with 240 grain Easton Bloodlines. Will probably move to the 250 Hexx after some practice. Next up Bushnell the Truth range finder and sitka sub alpine camo. The rabbit hole goes deep and I'm ready for the descent! Found an island off Australia infested with goats. Hopefully be posting some kills here soon!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
My buddy already counting down- 47 days until opening day. He wants me to join him this year and I just might take up on his offer.

I had no practice this year, but I’ll be glad to just be a sidekick to watch him hunt until I feel ready.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Got the bow dialed in good and got out for the first time this season on Friday. New public land spot. Bumped a couple going in and only saw a fawn while in the stand. Saw mama as I was climbing down at dark but too far away. Really like the new spot and will check out a little further in next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks, Steve @Old Smokey . Are you heading out for the gun opener Saturday? Good luck, if so...
Unfortunately no. I always hunt with my oldest son at his FIL land. My son couldn't get time off this year to hunt, and while I have permission to hunt the farm anytime I want to, the youngens are going in hopes of getting their first deer. I will just stay away and hope they have success and harvest a trophy. I am sure the boys are very excited.

In spirit I am in the woods!

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Anyone’s season already started. Mine just started Friday here in MD. Won’t get out until maybe Tuesday. Supposed to be cool that day. One final day of practice yesterday. 3 of four almost touching at 20 and 3 of 4 grouped nice at 30. Bow shoots better than me. Still got my 2012 Bear Mauler.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Ours starts Sept 15 in MO. I never go that early, though. Mosquitos are still bad, still hot, etc. I do have a bachelor group of 6 nice bucks that may convince me to give it a go if they get on a pattern that consistently puts them in front of a stand... none of them are exceptional for around here, though.08070294.JPG

In the pic, the rightmost deer is a 30 yard shot from a stand to the left... the leftmost deer is a 15 yard chip shot.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Ours starts Sept 15 in MO. I never go that early, though. Mosquitos are still bad, still hot, etc. I do have a bachelor group of 6 nice bucks that may convince me to give it a go if they get on a pattern that consistently puts them in front of a stand... none of them are exceptional for around here, though.View attachment 153756

In the pic, the rightmost deer is a 30 yard shot from a stand to the left... the leftmost deer is a 15 yard chip shot.
Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Got out yesterday for the first time this season. Felt good to be out. I had told myself if it’s brown it’s down the other day since I haven’t killed one in 3 years, but I felt bad for this skinny little guy so he got a pass. He almost got it though after he caught my scent where I came up the hill and started blowing and making a ruckus.