What's new

Breaking the Bank!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
While I do love some of the higher cost sticks (PAM's, Ligas, etc..)... and keep quite a few on hand... truthfully, the vast majority of what I smoke falls in the sub $8 range.. probably 50% of what I smoke falls in the sub $6 range..

There are a lot of very good options out there that are readily available, at reasonable prices... many of which have already been mentioned here..

And if youre willing to bargain shop.. or wait for a "deal".. frankly, the vast majority of the "premium" lines out there can be had for reasonable prices as well..

cbid is called "the devil site" for a reason.. it can suck you in if youre not careful.. but.. that said.. I bet Ive made purchases there 10 times in the past 12 months were I paid anywhere from 25%-50% below MSRP on things that were on my wish list... I cant count the number of times I have stocked up my stash with "$8.00" sticks.. that I only paid $4-$5 for...

checking out the sales here on BOTL is a very good option too... there is always a great bargain to be had right here on BOTL.. you just gotta be fast.. or someone else will snatch the deal out from under you :)

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
No budget stick is going to be as good as a premium, but the best budget sticks hit the highlights of your favorites. What are your favorites right now?
Now that's a giant load of horseshit if I ever smelled one. First of all, just because a cigar is labeled premium doesn't automatically make it better than anything else, as you are implying. Second of all, to be nitpicky, every cigar is a budget cigar-just for different budgets.

I'm sure there's a nicer way to make your point, you don't have to call what I said "giant load of horseshit", I was trying to be helpful.

What I meant was, a Nica Libre won't taste like a Padron, but it might be good enough if you're a fan of Padrons because while it's not as complex, it shares some similar characteristics. If you like mild Connecticut cigars, a Nica Libre is probably going to taste like crap, but perhaps a 5 Vegas Gold might be enjoyable for you.

The point was simply that a recommendation of what is likely (but not certain) to be a less-complex, budget-minded stick is made better by knowing what he likes and dislikes.

Also, I'll admit, I was thinking of sub-$5 sticks, not sub-$8 sticks, so I do stand corrected there. In the $8 range, there are plenty of quality sticks.

Last edited:

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
No budget stick is going to be as good as a premium, but the best budget sticks hit the highlights of your favorites. What are your favorites right now?
Now that's a giant load of horseshit if I ever smelled one. First of all, just because a cigar is labeled premium doesn't automatically make it better than anything else, as you are implying. Second of all, to be nitpicky, every cigar is a budget cigar-just for different budgets.

I'm sure there's a nicer way to make your point, you don't have to call what I said "giant load of horseshit", I was trying to be helpful.
Me thinks you haven't met Justin.

Back to the original question, here's what I think about this whole debacle - you have to ask yourself if you are in this as a hobby, or as a habit. If your moccasins are pointed toward a habit, then you can take all the budget smokes, and sub-5, and sub-6, and sub-whatever sticks and smoke them to your hearts content.

On the other side, if this is a hobby, then why the heck are you trying to save money?

The only time I can see trying to save money is when your pallet is young and as fickle as hormonal teenage girl - you don't know what you want, and you gotta put a lot of different sticks in your mouth before you figure it out. Then, by all means, try and decrease the risk by trying to save a buck via purchasing from the devil sites.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok fellas, I can see your points...but a Gran Habano is no where near the league of a Liga 9 and I think that is what ninjabuddy was eluding to. You may find one or two amazing cheap smokes but even then they will not compare to the better made, blended, constructed cigars that are on the market. Yes, there are some horrible, foul, ect. premiums out there also.

In the words of a wise BOTL: Smoke what you like and like what you smoke!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i get EPC new wave all the time for under $4 and sometimes under $3 on devil site. That's an amazingly good tasting medium stick. On the fuller-bodied side, I get Asylum Premium for similar prices at auction. For under $8, you can get just tons of great sticks online for those prices except super-premiums and high-end LEs.

As always, if you get deals online, it's good for the community if you balance it out with B&M purchases. On the value side, there are many good sub $8 sticks you can get at a B&M with fair prices (even in high-tax states) like Padron K-series and Fuente gran reserva. There are many others, but Padron and Fuente are super-consistant and appeal to a wide variety of flavor preferences.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
On the other side, if this is a hobby, then why the heck are you trying to save money?
So he can buy more cigars.
Right. That's my point. Numeric quantity over subjective quality seems like a habit, not a hobby.

Hobby vs. Habit. Can I play the part of the Swedes and say...maybe a bit of both and maybe a lot of both. For me, I completely agree that in the beginning I was just sticking things in my mouth - not unlike a prepubescent teenage girl - just to try it out. I blew money left and right in an attempt to smoke EVERYTHING I saw.

Now that I've progressed, I am much more selective about my "go to smokes." These everyday go-to's I am very price conscious of, typically buying in boxes at sub $8 prices. Yet, when it comes to buying something I really want to try or want to "reward" myself, I'll splurge and spend whatever it costs to give it a try.

So...a little habit, a little hobby. The go-to's are the habit; the reward sticks are the hobby. At least that's how I see it.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Right. That's my point. Numeric quantity over subjective quality seems like a habit, not a hobby.
It might not be either, it could just be a pleasure, in which case it depends on what you find pleasurable. If you enjoy smoking as much for the ritual and the relaxation, then perhaps being able to do it regularly is more important than having top quality. If you enjoy smoking primarily for the flavors, then perhaps subjective quality is more important than price and you'll prefer to smoke better cigars less often.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Habits and hobbies are both pleasurable. That's why we do them... Now it just seems like we are splitting hairs.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Of course hair, like habits and life, are fleeting. Do what you enjoy with the time you have, the rest are merely details. And now I'm done drunk posting, lol

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive seen at lest 5 times today people asking around on what are some good solid, cheaper sticks. I too honestly have the same problem, I buy $9-$15 on average and they are fabulous but I was wondering what the other brothers would classify as good $8 under sticks would be. Ive been spending way too much money on cigars and need to scale back.

Thanks, Fellow BOTL
Blockhead
I think no matter what price the sticks, in the end this habit still breaks the bank. LOL, Just my 0.02 GOOD LUCK BRO !!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I love all of the input, this is exactly what I wanted, but lets remember to be nice lol. Anyways I see your point on the hobby/habit, on one side if buying cheper sticks to keep smoking is what your trying to do then habit is where you are. But buying good expensive smokes, to enjoy flavor, etc. is a hobby. But I recently just bought a box of monte no. 2's for a pretty penney so that is why im trying to smoke some good smokes but not $11-$15. I do have a habit of it, but its also my hobby; but like any hobby I believe there is a little habit and addiction that comes with it. Also I agree on the point that this hobby is a particularly expensive one so im trying to bend the bank not break it haha! Thanks though brothers for the input!

-Blockhead

38-50

rg
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
checking out the sales here on BOTL is a very good option too... there is always a great bargain to be had right here on BOTL.. you just gotta be fast.. or someone else will snatch the deal out from under you :)
Very good point, bought a box of Cojuno 03 for $7 per on this forum.