What's new

Brewing Coffee

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Okay so if your French Press hold 32oz I would start with this formula…
  • Water: 32oz @ 201*
  • Coffee: 64 grams (approx 12 tablespoons)[if this is too strong try 9/10 tablespoons]
  1. Preheat the coffee press with hot water
  2. Coffee in and pour 500 grams water wetting all grounds
  3. Gently stir and let bloom for 30 seconds
  4. Pour remaining water (make sure to pour evenly over grounds)
  5. Place lid gently, but do not plunge
  6. Let sit for 3:45 seconds
  7. Plunge
  8. Transfer the entire contents to a cup or carafe immediately (over extraction happens otherwise)
For reference here is the grind size I would shoot for as a starting point

Let's see how this went

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
John don't go switch from a coarse grind on the French press. It's where it needs to be with the grinder we both own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
With Jay's method I noticed a bit more strengthful brew, but the flavors didn't seem to blossom as much and seemed to be a bit muted.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Our city water is horrible (smells like dead fishes to me), maybe i'll pick up some bottled spring water to see if it makes a difference as well.
This could be a large contributing factor. Coffee is mostly water, so if you start with bad water you get bad coffee. Try getting a jug of drinking or spring water and see if that makes a difference. you don't want distilled or DI water, you need some of the minerals to help with flavor.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Sent this to Jon earlier, but putting it here as well.

French press in general makes a stronger more rustic brew on account of there being no paper filter. (The filter absorbs the oils).

That said I would make the grind a bit finer next time. The smaller granules will have increased solubility and will yield more flavors. Test and tweak in small increments though. It will get to the point where you over extract and get bitterness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
wanted to inject here that a "cup" of coffee is not 8 oz.
closer to 5 0z...
Your 32 0z french press makes 6 "standard" cups
"Wikipedia says it's 6 oz but my Mr Coffee is calibrated in 5oz "cups" and my Braun coffee maker is calibrated in 4.2 oz "cups".
As you can seen there is no standard cup size,but using an 8 oz "cup" measure is way off if you want rich tasting coffee.
My measure is a scoop I have had for years.
In useable terms,this scoop is equal to a heaping tablespoon of BEANS......
In my 32 oz bodum,I use two tablespoons of beans per batch for normal coffee.
If I want High Test,I use three tablespoons.
If you boil your water too long it can leave the coffee tasting flat,you have boiled out the O2 .
Generally you want the water aroung 190 degrees,a little less is ok.
I use a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave,and I stop heating when I see a small stream of bubbles,so I am probably around 175 to 185 degrees,and my coffee is never bitter.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
If you boil your water too long it can leave the coffee tasting flat,you have boiled out the O2 .
Generally you want the water aroung 190 degrees,a little less is ok.
I use a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave,and I stop heating when I see a small stream of bubbles,so I am probably around 175 to 185 degrees,and my coffee is never bitter.
I use 195-200 degrees, before I got my variable temp kettle (love that thing) I would watch for bubbles to form on the bottom of the kettle but not bursting on the surface, that usually his right about 195ish. It's better to not being it to a boil and let it cool, like nacho daddy said you will boil out some of the good stuff that helps with flavor.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Bostoneo,I expect to hear you telling us you've got it nailed very soon....(y)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
With Jay's method I noticed a bit more strengthful brew, but the flavors didn't seem to blossom as much and seemed to be a bit muted.
With a French press I would steep it for 6 minutes if you have the correct grind size if not it will lead to over extraction and make it bitter. I find 6 minutes will give the coffee a lot more body and flavor.