What's new

Brothers who homebrew!?!

Rating - 98.4%
90   1   0

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
You guys been using beerfora? User name and password work over there. Surprises me that we have so much brew talk here and not as much there. Been dabbling in 1 gallon myself and making jump to 5 this spring. Built the keezer now need to fill it:)

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You guys been using beerfora? User name and password work over there. Surprises me that we have so much brew talk here and not as much there. Been dabbling in 1 gallon myself and making jump to 5 this spring. Built the keezer now need to fill it:)
Yup fill that bad boy you will love 5 gallon brewing better enjoy brother cheers.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
And just think, 10 gallon batches don't take much longer for the same amount of work. ;) Great for those brews that take a while to finish.
How's it going MoldMan? I remember you from the great HBT stogie thread. Can't wait to do a 10 gallon batch.
Good. That's me. I try and do 10g when I'm brewing lagers. By the time I get to the second keg it's had a chance to mature quite a few months.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
And just think, 10 gallon batches don't take much longer for the same amount of work. ;) Great for those brews that take a while to finish.
How's it going MoldMan? I remember you from the great HBT stogie thread. Can't wait to do a 10 gallon batch.
Good. That's me. I try and do 10g when I'm brewing lagers. By the time I get to the second keg it's had a chance to mature quite a few months.
I haven't brewed a lager yet.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I'm the professional brewer and avid sour homebrewer as well as a bunch of different non-sour belgian ales mostly with a strain or more of brettanomyces.

I have a piece of advice for starting out on your own. Try and find some part time work or something to gain more commercial experience to make sure you REALLY like it. Brewing is a monotonous profession. Its not much like homebrewing where you are making a different batch every time or very often. I guess it could be, and that might work in today's market where everyone's looking for "what's new". In addition to figuring out if you like the repetitious nature of brewing professionally the chemicals are hazardous and you need to know how to safely handle them and how to properly use them.

I have a dream/desire to strike out on my own and buy a small farmette near my current home in PA. I would just contract brewing and buy wort from a place with excess brewing capacity but maybe limited fermentation capacity. I can just get stainless pallet tanks for them to fill hot wort with and then I will let it passively cool and pitch my own yeast culture I've built up and refined through successive sour fermentations. It gets nicely funky and sour like a lambic but rather quickly giving me a lightly hoppy sour saisonesque beer that I can drink by the gallon at about 4.5%abv. I want to do almost a whole farm to table thing with the wife (who has returned to my life and is actually supportive of my idea now). She wants to do food I want to do beer. I think if we combined efforts and desires it could be a lucrative business but I'd still keep a day job of course because I wouldn't be brewing fulltime just blending and packaging for myself.

Anyhow head over to beerfora.com and start posting. If you have any technical brewing questions I was a biotechnology major and focused my projects and internship on the brewing industry from a QA stand point. I deeply researched contaminate organisms, which caused my obsessively geeky passion for sours, as well as different quality aim points for the brewing process.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm the professional brewer and avid sour homebrewer as well as a bunch of different non-sour belgian ales mostly with a strain or more of brettanomyces.

I have a piece of advice for starting out on your own. Try and find some part time work or something to gain more commercial experience to make sure you REALLY like it. Brewing is a monotonous profession. Its not much like homebrewing where you are making a different batch every time or very often. I guess it could be, and that might work in today's market where everyone's looking for "what's new". In addition to figuring out if you like the repetitious nature of brewing professionally the chemicals are hazardous and you need to know how to safely handle them and how to properly use them.

I have a dream/desire to strike out on my own and buy a small farmette near my current home in PA. I would just contract brewing and buy wort from a place with excess brewing capacity but maybe limited fermentation capacity. I can just get stainless pallet tanks for them to fill hot wort with and then I will let it passively cool and pitch my own yeast culture I've built up and refined through successive sour fermentations. It gets nicely funky and sour like a lambic but rather quickly giving me a lightly hoppy sour saisonesque beer that I can drink by the gallon at about 4.5%abv. I want to do almost a whole farm to table thing with the wife (who has returned to my life and is actually supportive of my idea now). She wants to do food I want to do beer. I think if we combined efforts and desires it could be a lucrative business but I'd still keep a day job of course because I wouldn't be brewing fulltime just blending and packaging for myself.

Anyhow head over to beerfora.com and start posting. If you have any technical brewing questions I was a biotechnology major and focused my projects and internship on the brewing industry from a QA stand point. I deeply researched contaminate organisms, which caused my obsessively geeky passion for sours, as well as different quality aim points for the brewing process.
I would love to try some of your sours brother one of my favorite styles.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Just finished a half barrel of My house pale ale. had 82% mash efficiency today which is awesome. O.g. of 1.066 and 45 ibu (est). Good day.