What's new

Brothers who homebrew!?!

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
That Citra sounds great. I'm not patient enough to dry hop like that though. :)
Do you share recipes or use Brew Toad that I can take a look at it?

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
It's very nice. Dry hoped in 3 stages, super citrus character. I can only handle about 2 before the cotton mouth though.
Do you tailor your water to have an ideal mash pH? The cottonmouth tends to be from an astringency that is supplied by the grain husks. If you have alkaline water you need to drop the pH of your water to get nearer 5.2pH and may have to acidify your sparge or just don't sparge too much because the sugar is your pH buffer.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
It's very nice. Dry hoped in 3 stages, super citrus character. I can only handle about 2 before the cotton mouth though.
Do you tailor your water to have an ideal mash pH? The cottonmouth tends to be from an astringency that is supplied by the grain husks. If you have alkaline water you need to drop the pH of your water to get nearer 5.2pH and may have to acidify your sparge or just don't sparge too much because the sugar is your pH buffer.

I filter water down to 3 microns. Then adjust hardness and ph to appropriate levels for the recipe, 5.2 ph is a rule for me.

I generally sparge for 30 to 40 minutes as I have had astringency issues in the past.

Beer smith estimated ibu. Is 125. I know that's not possible but it is a hoppy monster.

Thanks for the pointers though.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I'm the professional brewer and avid sour homebrewer as well as a bunch of different non-sour belgian ales mostly with a strain or more of brettanomyces.

I have a piece of advice for starting out on your own. Try and find some part time work or something to gain more commercial experience to make sure you REALLY like it. Brewing is a monotonous profession. Its not much like homebrewing where you are making a different batch every time or very often. I guess it could be, and that might work in today's market where everyone's looking for "what's new". In addition to figuring out if you like the repetitious nature of brewing professionally the chemicals are hazardous and you need to know how to safely handle them and how to properly use them.

I have a dream/desire to strike out on my own and buy a small farmette near my current home in PA. I would just contract brewing and buy wort from a place with excess brewing capacity but maybe limited fermentation capacity. I can just get stainless pallet tanks for them to fill hot wort with and then I will let it passively cool and pitch my own yeast culture I've built up and refined through successive sour fermentations. It gets nicely funky and sour like a lambic but rather quickly giving me a lightly hoppy sour saisonesque beer that I can drink by the gallon at about 4.5%abv. I want to do almost a whole farm to table thing with the wife (who has returned to my life and is actually supportive of my idea now). She wants to do food I want to do beer. I think if we combined efforts and desires it could be a lucrative business but I'd still keep a day job of course because I wouldn't be brewing fulltime just blending and packaging for myself.

Anyhow head over to beerfora.com and start posting. If you have any technical brewing questions I was a biotechnology major and focused my projects and internship on the brewing industry from a QA stand point. I deeply researched contaminate organisms, which caused my obsessively geeky passion for sours, as well as different quality aim points for the brewing process.
So glad I caught this thread. I have been homebrewing for several years now and am in the process of trying to open a small production brewery with a taphouse with some partners. We actually pitch our business plan to some investors in Nashville this weekend. I have found through this process that a.) it's way more work (paperwork, planning, etc.) than I had ever imagined even after hearing countless pros say that, and b.) it's not as glamorous as it seems. That being said, were a group of guys that are super passionate about the beer and the craft beer community and we wouldn't have it any other way. Hopefully we are only 90-120 days out from getting our brewhouse in if the pitch this weekend goes well. In the meantime we are working our "pilot system" out quite a bit and playing around with some 100% brett beers and will be making a lambic style beer fermented in a red wine barrel as soon as our barrel gets delivered. Cheers fellas!

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I'm the professional brewer and avid sour homebrewer as well as a bunch of different non-sour belgian ales mostly with a strain or more of brettanomyces.

I have a piece of advice for starting out on your own. Try and find some part time work or something to gain more commercial experience to make sure you REALLY like it. Brewing is a monotonous profession. Its not much like homebrewing where you are making a different batch every time or very often. I guess it could be, and that might work in today's market where everyone's looking for "what's new". In addition to figuring out if you like the repetitious nature of brewing professionally the chemicals are hazardous and you need to know how to safely handle them and how to properly use them.

I have a dream/desire to strike out on my own and buy a small farmette near my current home in PA. I would just contract brewing and buy wort from a place with excess brewing capacity but maybe limited fermentation capacity. I can just get stainless pallet tanks for them to fill hot wort with and then I will let it passively cool and pitch my own yeast culture I've built up and refined through successive sour fermentations. It gets nicely funky and sour like a lambic but rather quickly giving me a lightly hoppy sour saisonesque beer that I can drink by the gallon at about 4.5%abv. I want to do almost a whole farm to table thing with the wife (who has returned to my life and is actually supportive of my idea now). She wants to do food I want to do beer. I think if we combined efforts and desires it could be a lucrative business but I'd still keep a day job of course because I wouldn't be brewing fulltime just blending and packaging for myself.

Anyhow head over to beerfora.com and start posting. If you have any technical brewing questions I was a biotechnology major and focused my projects and internship on the brewing industry from a QA stand point. I deeply researched contaminate organisms, which caused my obsessively geeky passion for sours, as well as different quality aim points for the brewing process.
So glad I caught this thread. I have been homebrewing for several years now and am in the process of trying to open a small production brewery with a taphouse with some partners. We actually pitch our business plan to some investors in Nashville this weekend. I have found through this process that a.) it's way more work (paperwork, planning, etc.) than I had ever imagined even after hearing countless pros say that, and b.) it's not as glamorous as it seems. That being said, were a group of guys that are super passionate about the beer and the craft beer community and we wouldn't have it any other way. Hopefully we are only 90-120 days out from getting our brewhouse in if the pitch this weekend goes well. In the meantime we are working our "pilot system" out quite a bit and playing around with some 100% brett beers and will be making a lambic style beer fermented in a red wine barrel as soon as our barrel gets delivered. Cheers fellas!
That's sexy. Are those giant bolts in your hop spider?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
They sure are brother! That's our $10 "wonder spider"
Nice. Never done a spider. Thought about it. Built many a stainless screen for the bottom of my keggle. do you have any problems with the hot break clogging your works?
Haven't had an issue with that at all. I attach a 5gal paint strainer bag to the PVC with a stainless clamp. It comes apart easy and the bag cleans up easy enough with a spray down with the hose.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
They sure are brother! That's our $10 "wonder spider"
Nice. Never done a spider. Thought about it. Built many a stainless screen for the bottom of my keggle. do you have any problems with the hot break clogging your works?
Haven't had an issue with that at all. I attach a 5gal paint strainer bag to the PVC with a stainless clamp. It comes apart easy and the bag cleans up easy enough with a spray down with the hose.
Nice. I'm in the process of a move. Conicals are next on the list. Might try a spider after that

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Sounds like your making progress Hooligan and that spider is the way to go.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0

Sounds like your making progress Hooligan and that spider is the way to go.
We are and I agree. It catches quite a bit of hot break too