What's new

Brothers who homebrew!?!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Lol at homebrew filter! How many of y'all do filter your beer before you keg? I have started going through a 1 micron filter and noticed it takes less time to get clear.....3 weeks sometimes e 2 depending on how much of the cold break I keep outta the fermenter.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Once in a while I will filter if I used pellets to dry hop one if my sours. Other than that I don't give a damn about protein haze, but I rarely brew quick beers and the wild stuff tends to consume the haze proteins eventually.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I only use time as a filter. It is how I can tell when a keg is going to blow. The last few beers get brilliantly clear and boom. There goes the keg. ;) I have used gelatin to fine before and it works really well. I'm just too lazy though.

Stogie_Bear

Chulo Savage
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I only use time as a filter. It is how I can tell when a keg is going to blow. The last few beers get brilliantly clear and boom. There goes the keg. ;) I have used gelatin to fine before and it works really well. I'm just too lazy though.
100% agree... just too damn lazy haha

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Doesn't taste any better so i have never found the need to filter. Wish I could make it to the Ymaherf but it is a bit to far with my current schedule. :argh:

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Never have filtered and don't plan to once our commercial brewery opens either. Whirlfloc plus a plate chiller has yielded stellar results so far. I have used gelatin in the keg with good results but it is usually not necessary.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all. New homebrewer from Kansas here. I'm a 10 gallon AG brewer (I do 90 minute boils so I can smoke a cigar while brewing). I'll be filtering and kegging my Oktoberfest this weekend (I know I'm late, silly wife and kids keep getting in the way of my brewing). I've been brewing now for 4-5 years so if you have any questions feel free to shoot them my way.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Wives have a tendency to cramp all homebrewers style.
Ha! My ex who bought me my first homebrew kit and got me started is the one who was the least supportive of the hobby. One of many reasons she is now the ex. I need to hurry up and brew my "Octoberfast". I use Alt yeast so I don't have to lager long and can turn it quickly. Last years got a triple decoction, not sure I want to go through all that trouble but I will do a single decoction at the very least.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wives have a tendency to cramp all homebrewers style.
Ha! My ex who bought me my first homebrew kit and got me started is the one who was the least supportive of the hobby. One of many reasons she is now the ex. I need to hurry up and brew my "Octoberfast". I use Alt yeast so I don't have to lager long and can turn it quickly. Last years got a triple decoction, not sure I want to go through all that trouble but I will do a single decoction at the very least.
Every so often I brew my wife a batch of girly beer.. Made her a blueberry wheat this summer she loved. As long as I rotate her in every so often she's pretty supportive.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey, I need some opinions. As you saw earlier, i just brewed my first batch. I am looking ahead for my second batch and I am thinking of a winter beer, what would you suggest?

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
My wife also sort of pushed me down the slope and would get very pissed about it last year. Things changed drastically over this winter though and now she's a little more supportive of me brewing.

She' a bit of a blonde beer hop head. The darkest she ventures is something in the amber range. She'll taste stouts but doesn't like the roast flavors I think and isn't a fan of any sours really.

So by a winter beer what are you leaning towards? A spiced beer, a stout, high abv?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do a nice Imp Oatmeal Stout for winter or an Imp Nut Brown ale also works (I roast almonds and add them to the secondary). Both need to age for a bit so you'll need to get started ASAP if you go that route. That's one thing that kind of sucks about homebrewing, you need to be thinking 4-5 months ahead.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
For a decent turn around I'd brew an average gravity full body stout or brown ale. No need to imperialize it unless you want to wait longer as said, or want to get drunker faster. Don't get me wrong I still make the occasional high gravity brew but they are far and few between all my 5%-7% average brews which trend more towards 5% actually. Also I don't know what everyone's set up is here for fermentation but I use 10gal kegs and fermenting under pressure can increase the fermentation length slightly but it suppresses too much yeast character in "clean" beers and allows for greater retained CO2 from the fermentation.