What's new

Building a deck...It's Done!

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
had to rebuild mine also. went to replace a couple of piece and the whole thing collapsed, good thing we figured that out before hand.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Building mine from scratch. 30'x16'.

My dad and I started last Saturday and he was there for all the footing inspections during the week. We just started the framing today and will hopefully be done tomorrow for inspection on Tuesday.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
that was "one" of them problems with ours, the orginal wood rotted. Unfortunately we had to rebuild it the same size and paint the same color to be consistent with the other townhouse units. I would have liked to extend it out and make it a few feet bigger.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
That is hard work. 'Specially in the heat we've been having. I can sympathize. I've been working on residing my house. I started last summer with the intention of getting it all done last year but events got in the way so I'm still hard at it. It gets damn hot out there!

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Todd,

I'm telling you if I was redoing my deck today thats not the way I would go. I'd go with the new material called Trex. :thumbsup: This stuff is more expensive but in the long run it comes out cheaper. There is no maintance needed like staining. All you have to do is wash it down periodically. Also if you have kids or grandkids no worries what so ever with getting splinters from it. I sware its great stuff and looks great from day one to longer!! :wink:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I seriously considered it...especially for the added resale value on the home, but at three times the price and the very limited size selection at our Lowe's it just wasn't practical at this time.

This deck will last longer then we will live here so no worries really.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Ashy said:
had to rebuild mine also. went to replace a couple of piece and the whole thing collapsed, good thing we figured that out before hand.
Is it wrong that I laughed at imagining that? :bottle:

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
vipe said:
Is it wrong that I laughed at imagining that? :bottle:
:grinFU: :grinFU: :grinFU:

its was pretty fun, luckily no one was injured.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Whew! What a day...all the framing is done, just have to wait on the inspector now. Gotta pick up all the lumber for the railings and stairs tomorrow.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
ehdg said:
Todd,

I'm telling you if I was redoing my deck today thats not the way I would go. I'd go with the new material called Trex. :thumbsup: This stuff is more expensive but in the long run it comes out cheaper. There is no maintance needed like staining. All you have to do is wash it down periodically. Also if you have kids or grandkids no worries what so ever with getting splinters from it. I sware its great stuff and looks great from day one to longer!! :wink:
Being an architect I have to research products like this in order to recommend proper ideas to clients. Although I would personally use trex on my deck (if I owned one) I have a hard time recommending it to every client. When some of the original offerings of the product are subjected to direct heat at 16" o.c. spacing of the joists below, the decking will tend to become a bit spongy. More current releases haven't been observed to do this yet but I'm not sure if it's because they haven't aged as long yet or if they were improved blends of materials.
Just something to keep in mind if ever building one for yourself. :grin:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've made three for my place, and it's damn hard work. The front one is 10'x12', the small back one is 8'x 10', (both redwood deck) and the latest is 14'x16' with Trex decking. My SIL works at a place that sells the trex, so it was cheaper than redwood. :bouncetau

Trex is great to work with, it saws easily, and you can sink the screws and hide them. It doesn't split or crack. No maintainance. The 16" centers require more lumber for underpinning, but I think it was worth it. I used extra lumber and supports around the outside, as I'm eventually going to frame it in, put a door and roof on it, and it's going to be my "mud room". [read smoking room] It will have heat, lights, chairs, and ventilation. It will also have 2 or 3 openable peepholes so I (we) can shoot magpies and starlings.:riflefire

:thumbsup: