What's new

Building a deck...It's Done!

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Kick ass job bro! My only question is, where are the fences in your neighborhood? :dunno:

And... GO NAVY! heh

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Looks great. Our deck here is barely even a deck, its more like a bunch of wood 6 inches off the ground. I wish we had a deck that looked like that.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Thanks guys, I am pretty proud of it. :inlove:

vipe said:
Kick ass job bro! My only question is, where are the fences in your neighborhood? :dunno:

And... GO NAVY! heh
There are actually quite a few houses with fences in the neighboorhood, just not on any of the yards around us. We are secretly hoping that the neighboors on each side will get one so we don't have to. :razz:

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
wasch_24 said:
The lights and railing are required by code. I am installing a flood light to meet the code as the solar powered lights aren't really to spec.
Wow, the codes have changed a lot since I was building stuff down around there. I like the lights and rail but back then they would have been options most people didn't want to spend money on. The codes are good though. If you were having the deck built by a contractor it protects you from shoddy workmanship and keeps everything uniform so you don't have people putting things on their houses that drag down the surrounding properties. Out here in "West By God" I've actually seen people pull a hay wagon up to a house trailer and call it a deck.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
windowrx said:
Wow, the codes have changed a lot since I was building stuff down around there. I like the lights and rail but back then they would have been options most people didn't want to spend money on. The codes are good though. If you were having the deck built by a contractor it protects you from shoddy workmanship and keeps everything uniform so you don't have people putting things on their houses that drag down the surrounding properties. Out here in "West By God" I've actually seen people pull a hay wagon up to a house trailer and call it a deck.
LMAO Brian!

The inspectors have said that all the specifics are there because bad things have happened in the past...like two story decks on Townhouses collapsing and stuff. :bigeyes:

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
wasch_24 said:
...like two story decks on Townhouses collapsing and stuff.
Yep. I know firsthand. In the mid-80's I had a crew working from the 2nd level deck on the back of a $250,000 (big bucks for the mid-80's) townhouse. I noticed that I had to keep reaching up higher to do my work and realized the deck was sinking where it attached to the house. I got my guys off the deck and then we "helped" it the rest of the way down. It made a very impressive crash! Probably shouldn't have done that but we were pissed that we nearly went with it and we wanted to demonstrate to the builder how crappy these deck guys were. This is the same project where 4 three story masonry parting walls toppled like dominoes due to a strong wind and lack of bracing. Luckily it happened minutes after the RoachCoach pulled up at break time and all 20-30 guys that had been working inside were out on break. No one was injured. It was an awesome sight though.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
wasch_24 said:
Thanks guys, I am pretty proud of it. :inlove:

There are actually quite a few houses with fences in the neighboorhood, just not on any of the yards around us. We are secretly hoping that the neighboors on each side will get one so we don't have to. :razz:

LMAO about the hoping the neighbors put up a fence.
That has been my idea but they have waited me out for a couple of years.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Wow that looks pretty nice in fact. I have just one question!! :wtf: when the hell did you move into my neighborhood? :scratchhe I'm going to have to move now before folks realize you moved and property values start to fall like a brick!! :headroll:

ehdg