What's new

Butchering Spare Ribs

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Since BBQ season is approaching, I figured I'd do a tutorial on butchering a set of pork spare ribs.

I'm doing 2 sets this time. One for my butcher, who gave me a SERIOUS hookup on some cowboy ribeyes, usda black angus, $4,88/lb. The other if for a gal who is thinkin about doing BBQ for her daughters graduation party. I told her to taste my ribs and see if she liked em...if she does, then i'll be doin ribs and pulled pork for 150 ppl.

anywhooo.....

here's the unbutchered ribs...front side

and the back side...notice the backstrap that you'll need to cut off.

close up of the backstrap that needs to be cut off.

the backstrap being cut off...season this like you do the ribs themselves. when smoking, this strap will be done in about 1.5 hours and is a great sampler for the chef or a guest that is dying to taste what they are smelling.

Now you need to cut the ribs at the first knuckle. You can use your fingers to feel where the joint is. Start your cut there. Continue this cut for 4 or 5 bones. From that point, you'll want to continue cutting in a straight line to create a geometrically symetrical rack of ribs. (if you follow the first knuckle all the way, you'll end up with a traingular shaped rack of ribs.) I usually stop about 3 bones short of the end of the tack, leaving me with 11 or 12 bones in my official rack of ribs

Here's the fully butchered spare rib.
TOP - the backstrap
MIDDLE - The official rack of ribs
BOTTOM - A hunk of bones and meat that I have yet to come up with a use for.
RIGHT - The pork version of brisket. Pork brisket. I chop this up and use it in baked beans or cut it into bite size pieces and let people sample it before we grub down on the real meal.

Here's that hunk of meat and bones that I don't know what to do with. It weighs about 5 lbs. I've cooked hundreds of racks of ribs and to my knowledge, this piece of flesh serves no edible purpose. It's tough to get meat off it and there's a ton of bone in it. I'll continue to throw it away until someone gives me a better use for it.

On the back side of the official rib rack is a membrane that needs to be pulled off. The method that works best for me is to use a butter knife to pry up the membrane and then use a napkin or paper towel to grab it and pull it. It's a slippery l'il sucker. Be careful not to pry too deep and pull up the sheath that holds the meat to the bone. If you do this, your bones wil fall out...before you even cook it. By pulling off this membrane, you will allow your dry rub to penetrate the meat while the ribs are resting overnight, and it will keep the ribs from "shriveling" and curling when you cook them. Plus it's very chewy.
Pull the membrane off and throw it away

The finished butchered product...backstrap, rack of spare ribs and a pork brisket.

Dry rub applied to both sides. Then wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge overnite.

Good luck and PM if you have questions about butchering or smoking.

Last edited:

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
So am I doing it right?

I learned how by first reading it on the internet and then practicing and practicing and pracitcing...

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yes. The only difference is we cooked it each rib separated. Then again it wasn't smoked but on trays.

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
you could use that meat and bone to make a pork stock. Anytime I make a lot of chicken, shrimp, lobster, or beef I use what is left over to make stock. I have plastic containers that will hold about two cups, which I use to freeze, so I always have stock on hand. It is better than that canned crap.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
no doubt you know what Memphis BBQ tastes like.

I serve my pulled pork memphis style..., tomatoe/vinegar sauce with slaw on top. yeah baby!!!!

and i've use mustard before the dry rub, but didn't notice any difference other than it took me longer to rub it on and it was way more messy

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Some people leave on the membrane. You can do that if you cut the membrane between each bone. I don't leave it on, but some do. The reason I take it off is that it is very chewy and it doesn't take rub very well.

Also I use the brisket cut in my baked beans

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The membrane, or as we call it, espejo ("mirror") I ALWAYS take off. I can eat it meself, but I get into too deep shite when others whine. Not worth it.

cigarguy71

BIG JIM
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Love me some southern BBQ ribs. You go to a restaurant around here they say there southern style. No they are not they boil them first :barf: They have to fall of the bone the say. Not for me the meat must have a little snap and like my great grandfather used to say if you don't get it on you it isn't any good.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Gale isn't the membrane commonly called the "silver skin" ? And excuse my ignorance but the finished rack are those what you would buy as Baby back ribs just finished. Or are those totally different?
Thanks Justin

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
the finished rack are those what you would buy as Baby back ribs just finished. Or are those totally different?
Thanks Justin

No. baby back ribs and spare ribs are completely different. baby backs come from the loin near the actual back of the hog while spare ribs come form the belly section.

the meat pulls a little differently and baby backs have much less fat

plus the cost difference is huge. baby backs $3.99/lb. the spare ribs shown here - $1.47/lb. but they typically run $1.99 / lb