What's new

Buying a car with a supercharger

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey guys.
Im about to buy a weekend fun car and cant decide between two.
Both cars are 98 cobra. One blk one red. Both are heavily modded. One has a centrifical supercharger and other has the roots type (one that sits on top of where manifold goes. Both are low miles and price is about the same. I heard root style blowers produce a lot more torque vs the centr. Style. Does anyone have any experience with either?

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Hey guys.
Im about to buy a weekend fun car and cant decide between two.
Both cars are 98 cobra. One blk one red. Both are heavily modded. One has a centrifical supercharger and other has the roots type (one that sits on top of where manifold goes. Both are low miles and price is about the same. I heard root style blowers produce a lot more torque vs the centr. Style. Does anyone have any experience with either?
Oh dear God I'm so envious right now!
Goals!
Lots of pics and details when you get it man!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
My initial thought is to go with the lower miles, but probably go with which color you prefer. Or examine both in person and see which you have a better feeling about. Gah, I miss my 67... :( But a 98 cobra was at the top of my dream list for a long time.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My initial thought is to go with the lower miles, but probably go with which color you prefer. Or examine both in person and see which you have a better feeling about. Gah, I miss my 67... :( But a 98 cobra was at the top of my dream list for a long time.
A 67 fastback is my dream car and hopefully in about 2 years i will have my dream car.
My mustang was red so naturally im drawn towards the red one i just dont know which blower is better.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am in the process of interviewing for a new job (already had 3 interviews with them) and if i get it im going to start putting money aside for the 67

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
I'd want to know who did the modifications, a professional or was this a backyard deal? what other mods happened along with the blower, did they upgrade the fuel system to handle the boost? bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, throttle body? have the cars been re mapped, and if so who did it?

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
what do similar cars sell for?
will you drive it or is it an investment?
can you afford to have it all checked and tuned?
I would never open one of these up without having the compression , etc checked by a pro.
previous owner a kid , or a racer?
tough choice.

PamunkeyHub

Jayson
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Modded cars (especially a Ford) will be nothing but problems. If it's a must have, I'd look for something with all Ford Racing parts that were installed at a dealer or very reputable shop. Otherwise, you have no idea what's really under the hood.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Modded cars (especially a Ford) will be nothing but problems. If it's a must have, I'd look for something with all Ford Racing parts that were installed at a dealer or very reputable shop. Otherwise, you have no idea what's really under the hood.
This.

I thought Later Ford had some Mustangs out there with S/C option from the factory.

Remember one thing. Pull out the supercharger and what do you have ? A 20 year old Mustang. Price appropriately.

Hamm

Bacon
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I'd recommend staying away from those. If you're looking for something supercharged specifically- get an 03-04 Cobra. Those came from the factory with a supercharger. Might cost a bit more, but it'd be worth it, IMHO. I have three problems with previously modified vehicles- 1. Replacement parts are more difficult to get. You can't just go down to the dealership. 2. You don't really know the quality of the parts or installation. 3. You don't really know how they drove it. I realize this is a problem with ALL cars, but I see it as a much bigger problem with modified cars.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those are cute but if you want a beast of a vehicle, a stock Prius will keep your nipples hard and old ladies won't be able to keep their horny hands off of you.

At least, that is what @Mossome told me about his Prius.
Actually, i drove a prius recently and its quicker than i thought it would be

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd recommend staying away from those. If you're looking for something supercharged specifically- get an 03-04 Cobra. Those came from the factory with a supercharger. Might cost a bit more, but it'd be worth it, IMHO. I have three problems with previously modified vehicles- 1. Replacement parts are more difficult to get. You can't just go down to the dealership. 2. You don't really know the quality of the parts or installation. 3. You don't really know how they drove it. I realize this is a problem with ALL cars, but I see it as a much bigger problem with modified cars.
I cant do 03/04. Dont like the body style. When i was about 20, i bought a red 98gt and over the years done a lot of work to the motor and other things. Was making just under 600hp with nitrous. After 11 years of fun, i ended up selling it and now i miss it so thats why im looking at 98

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
This.

I thought Later Ford had some Mustangs out there with S/C option from the factory.

Remember one thing. Pull out the supercharger and what do you have ? A 20 year old Mustang. Price appropriately.
Correction, a 20 yo S95 COBRA! :D
And the factory SC were super low production, high ticket.

I gotta disagree with these guys. If the right mods were done, and done right, they have details and documentation to show you, it's not ragged out and the price is right. I'd be all over it.

People usually take quite a loss on all those upgrades in resale, as you know, it costs a lot to do all that work.

But to your original question, is there really enough difference between the 2 supercharger types, to outweigh the other factors in which would be better for you? It's gonna be a beast either way.