What's new

Buying a car with a supercharger

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I used to be pretty heavy into drag racing. I had an ‘89GT that I built up from the engine to the rear end, sub frame connectors, the works. The car would run low to mid 11s in a quarter all natural. Used to race it a Beech Bend in Bowling Green, KY. What I understand from my days helping buddies work on their cars is that the centrifugal SC have problems with bearing going out in them and the roots style were more reliable. I have no experience first hand, this was just the talk in the pits and friends garages. One other thing to consider, my mustang was black, and I’ve had several other black vehicles, and nothing looks better than black, in my opinion, when it’s clean. But, FUCK is it hard to keep clean!!

Jody

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I used to be pretty heavy into drag. I built up the rear end, connectors, the works. all natural. Used KY. I have experience first hand in pits and friends. One thing to consider, mine was black, and I’ve had several other black, and nothing looks better than black, in my opinion, when it’s clean. Butt FUCK!!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Correction, a 20 yo S95 COBRA! :D
And the factory SC were super low production, high ticket.

I gotta disagree with these guys. If the right mods were done, and done right, they have details and documentation to show you, it's not ragged out and the price is right. I'd be all over it.

People usually take quite a loss on all those upgrades in resale, as you know, it costs a lot to do all that work.

But to your original question, is there really enough difference between the 2 supercharger types, to outweigh the other factors in which would be better for you? It's gonna be a beast either way.
Totally agree with you.
So from my research, roots style/twin screw has fixed psi meaning if its set up to run 10psi, it will have 10 at all rpm.
Centrifugal blower builds boost meaning at 3500rpm and 7000rpm will have different psi.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used to be pretty heavy into drag racing. I had an ‘89GT that I built up from the engine to the rear end, sub frame connectors, the works. The car would run low to mid 11s in a quarter all natural. Used to race it a Beech Bend in Bowling Green, KY. What I understand from my days helping buddies work on their cars is that the centrifugal SC have problems with bearing going out in them and the roots style were more reliable. I have no experience first hand, this was just the talk in the pits and friends garages. One other thing to consider, my mustang was black, and I’ve had several other black vehicles, and nothing looks better than black, in my opinion, when it’s clean. But, FUCK is it hard to keep clean!!

Jody[/QUOT
Thanks for the info. And yea, blk car all waxed looks amazing

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Totally agree with you.
So from my research, roots style/twin screw has fixed psi meaning if its set up to run 10psi, it will have 10 at all rpm.
Centrifugal blower builds boost meaning at 3500rpm and 7000rpm will have different psi.
Pretty interesting, but how much difference does it make in real world acceleration? , and is it enough to outweigh the other factors?

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Those are cute but if you want a beast of a vehicle, a stock Prius will keep your nipples hard and old ladies won't be able to keep their horny hands off of you.

At least, that is what @Mossome told me about his Prius.
Don’t hate. Not only is it a guaranteed panty-downer, It’ll also get you through a cornfield without getting stuck.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pretty interesting, but how much difference does it make in real world acceleration? , and is it enough to outweigh the other factors?
So i talked to my buddy whos dad use to own a shop that built race cars/street cars.
He told me like this... take two exact same cars with same supporting mods. One had twin screw blower other is centr. Both are set up for same boost.
Put them side by side and race...twin screw will win.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
That vintage of cobras are nice. I'd go with what @Hamm said earlier and find an 03-04 terminator that came with a sc. With a pully and a tune those hit 700hp. But needed forged bottom ends ( pistons and connecting rods) to keep from putting a hole in the block. After that you can daily drive them and abuse them to a certain point. I had a buddy in the army who had a red 03 cobra and he spent like 4k on rods and pistons intercooler and tune. That thing was mean. Ran 10.6s. The mach 1 he had of the same year was fully bolted and made 480 he said. But that was a NA car. Different animal and sounded better than the cobra even though it was faster.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That vintage of cobras are nice. I'd go with what @Hamm said earlier and find an 03-04 terminator that came with a sc. With a pully and a tune those hit 700hp. But needed forged bottom ends ( pistons and connecting rods) to keep from putting a hole in the block. After that you can daily drive them and abuse them to a certain point. I had a buddy in the army who had a red 03 cobra and he spent like 4k on rods and pistons intercooler and tune. That thing was mean. Ran 10.6s. The mach 1 he had of the same year was fully bolted and made 480 he said. But that was a NA car. Different animal and sounded better than the cobra even though it was faster.
So i do apriciate the terminator for what it is, a great machine but im in love with 94/98 body style. Owned a 98gt for 11 years that had a built motor and nitrous set up

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
So i talked to my buddy whos dad use to own a shop that built race cars/street cars.
He told me like this... take two exact same cars with same supporting mods. One had twin screw blower other is centr. Both are set up for same boost.
Put them side by side and race...twin screw will win.
Interesting. Maybe because it's constant? Or because that psi is relative to air volume which increases as you get into it? Either way, unless it's gonna be strictly a track car, I wouldn't base the decision solely on that one factor. Either one is gonna be a helluva fun ride.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Interesting. Maybe because it's constant? Or because that psi is relative to air volume which increases as you get into it? Either way, unless it's gonna be strictly a track car, I wouldn't base the decision solely on that one factor. Either one is gonna be a helluva fun ride.
Yea for sure. This is a really tuff decision. Before i was playing around with a idea to use the money and buy a stillen supercharger kit that comes with so much stuff. Even a custom built manifold and a full exhaust for my Q

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And yes, thats what he said. Its constant boost because blower sits right on top of the manifold and pushes the air in regardless of rpm you are in. He actually told me theoretically speaking, it should be making boost at idle but doesnt

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that you've discussed a lot here, and I owned the centrifugal style, and it was great. The centrifugal style usually offers higher horsepower potential and is generally simpler to install and tune.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that you guys already discussed this topic, but I can give you some general information that might be helpful for others. Centrifugal superchargers are generally more efficient and have a less parasitic drag on the engine than the Roots-style blowers, so they tend to be better suited to higher-revving engines. The Roots-style blowers, on the other hand, are usually better for low-end and mid-range torque. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide which one is a better fit for your needs. Recently a friend of mine got a 98 Cobra from Copart, and it is in great condition. The only struggle was with shipping, but he contacted some guys from open carrier car transport that delivered the car home the next day. :)

Last edited: