What's new

Buying a house (Tips & Tricks?)

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
What up folks!

Wifey and I are getting ready to put in roots. We've accepted a counter-offer on a home here around the Pittsburgh area and are going through the loan process now. I'm curious if you have any tips or tricks for keeping the interest rate and payments low.

Also, we are super stoked. Currently living in my mother's basement with my wife and 2 kids (it has not been fun, but financially worth every fight and awkward conversation).

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Currently in the middle of selling a house and buying another. I don’t mind the buying part but the selling is a pain. Best advice is to shop around for the best rates and make sure you send in all your financial info in a timely manner. If you are planning on making any changes to the house try and get them done before you move in. Makes things much easier.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Definitely check credit unions out. Some of the rates are MUCH lower than traditional banks and usually the requirements to joining are not very strict. Look at the different rate packages and see what works best for your 15 year vs 30 year, VA (if available) FHA options, ARM vs traditional rate - explore and weigh the options, if monthly budget is tight you may want to go 30 year, if your worried about the interest rate changing then look at rate locks.

Some simple Tips:

General Tip: buyer has a lot of power in the transaction, as long as your financial profile is fine - you can control a lot of the process and if you find something wrong with the house don't just close it up and run, A LOT of times the sellers will get something professionally fixed (or give you a credit for an estimate) to ensure the house is closed on.
If your house has a sump pump/basement - make sure during the inspection it gets tested. Ask the seller if they have ever had water issues.
Ask the age of the water heater, furnace, roof.
If there were any upgrades/renovations ask if they were professionally done or if the homeowner did them. (if the owner did them make sure the inspector checks it out)
Try and be there and attentive during the inspection, ask questions, it's a really a key to buying a good house.
Closing is stressful. Be prepared to read through a whirlwind of paperwork, ask your broker to send as many documents in advance so you know what you're getting yourself into. The title/closing company will walk you through it all during closing, but it's nice to get a preview prior to sitting down and signing everything.

Good luck and take the whole process in stride and be patient. Nothing like that feeling after closing of stepping in YOUR house the first time - just an amazing experience.

PS I can also attest that selling a house is MUCH more stressful and a pain in the ass.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
You need a Realestate attorney. Period. He she needs to preview all closing Documents and THEY will walk you thru closing. Not your agent or title company. (My wife is a Realestate agent and this is always her main advice. Although she tries to do everything to protect her clients. It’s up to the Buyers/Sellers Attorney to protect THEIR clients.
Have fun, imo it’s a terrible time to buy a house. But never the wrong time for first time homeowners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
+1 on the real estate attorney

- shop around for the best interest, any interest can be negotiated
- shop around for home insurance yourself otherwise you’ll be signing up with a buddy of the realtor at a price that’s probably not the lowest out there
- 15 year no doubt if possible

If you’re on septic... get a good inspector and try to be there in person so you know they dug in and actually inspected the system

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Not sure if other states are the same like here in NY, but talking with some friends who are homeowners mentioned to my wife and I in conversation that every $1,000 towards the down payment only knocked $5.00 off of the monthly mortgage payments.

And they’ve suggested not to go crazy on the down payment as you’ll need extra funds for home inspection, bank appraisal, lawyer’s fees etc.....the list goes on and on.....

Honestly, I’d check with the company you decide to go with, see what they suggest and then take it from there.

Definitely compare 15 year versus 30 year mortgage too. I’m sure you can always refinance down the road!

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Having bought and sold at least 11 house.....I have the best advice....Real Estate Lawyer! It is well worth the money spent to protect you unless you are a lawyer yourself. These guys do this everyday...it's a living for them so they know the laws and they can save your a$$. I did one deal and was so p'd off at how the other side is represented for THEIR clients and at the same time ripped me off...never again!

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Having bought and sold at least 11 house.....I have the best advice....Real Estate Lawyer! It is well worth the money spent to protect you unless you are a lawyer yourself. These guys do this everyday...it's a living for them so they know the laws and they can save your a$$. I did one deal and was so p'd off at how the other side is represented for THEIR clients and at the same time ripped me off...never again!
So, my agent said some states require a lawyer and the others title/closing company. Is this accurate? Also, any idea of costs? The only thing I know about lawyers is they are expensive as S***.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
So, my agent said some states require a lawyer and the others title/closing company. Is this accurate? Also, any idea of costs? The only thing I know about lawyers is they are expensive as S***.
My friends have said they’re roughly $1,500 give or take. Some might be a little more money or a little cheaper. Ask around and even consult with your real estate agent and see if they recommend someone too. Just don’t let them force you into “their people.” You can go with whoever you choose.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
We opted to go with the 30yr mortgage but pay extra principal every month to payoff in 15 years. This gave us some flexibility in case we wanted to put the money in something else down the road without being locked in at higher payments.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
We opted to go with the 30yr mortgage but pay extra principal every month to payoff in 15 years. This gave us some flexibility in case we wanted to put the money in something else down the road without being locked in at higher payments.
That's what we're looking to do. 15yr isn't possible at the moment but could be in the next few years.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
As was said you can still do a 30 year mortgage but pay an extra 50 to a $100 a month on the principal and in 10 years should be surprised how far down the mortgage has been paid.
That's what we heard. We're looking to pay 1 extra mortgage payment a year and try to get it down as close to 15yrs as possible. We are still very early into our careers so with raises and such in the coming years we should be in a very good spot.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's what we heard. We're looking to pay 1 extra mortgage payment a year and try to get it down as close to 15yrs as possible. We are still very early into our careers so with raises and such in the coming years we should be in a very good spot.
Smart...also check your state as far as getting a deduction with the Homestead Act...its a year waiting period but saves you a $1000 or more a year.