What's new

Cabinet humidor prepping, sealing and seasoning ! *** PIC HEAVY ***

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** NOTICE - This thread is VERY picture heavy ***

Hi fellow BOTL’ers. As you'll have seen in one of my previous threads, I had a fight with a new end-table humidor. Once I won that fight, I realized very quickly that this end-table cabinet was far too small to meet my needs. Anticipating that, I went ahead and ordered a Tower 2000 cabinet humidor, figuring that would meet my needs for quite some time to come. Well, that’s a topic for a different thread……

Anyways, because of where I live, it’s EXTREMELY expensive to ship things to me. This humidor came in around $500.00 JUST for shipping once all was said and done, and it was already in Canada before it came to me. I looked into American hand-made humidors, but the cost to ship a cabinet was going to be much more than the cabinet itself. My plan, ultimately, is to have a larger cabinet that is custom made, but that is going to be an extremely expensive piece of furniture. Actually, I will then call it an heirloom that will be passed down in the family when my time on the planet is up. Until such a time however, I am stuck with getting a Chinese-made cabinet, which as we all know can really suck for sealing properly and holding humidity. Before I even attempted any kind of seasoning with this beast, I took the lessons learned from my end table fiasco and applied them here, so I could prep this cabinet correctly and avoid losing my mind on it.

Here is the humidor unpacked, without alteration, sitting in my home. Let’s begin !

First thing was to evaluate all the trays and shelves. As expected, the tooling was not very good or precise. As can be seen below, there was a lot of “frayed hair” wood that needed to be sanded down and removed.

Ugh, and then we find that some of the Spanish cedar has sweated resin / sap. OK, I had heard that this stuff was hard as a rock, but you don’t realize HOW hard until you try and remove it. I tried just using a plastic razor blade at first. Ha ! Not a chance. I then tried a metal razor blade, which gave me limited success. Ultimately, it was smoothed down and made level with the wood using an abrasive sandpaper sponge. 200 grit if I remember correctly. And it took a good amount of time.

Now we move onto the “fun” part, silicone sealing. This humidor, like all other Chinese ones I’ve seen, is poorly joined at the corners and seams. This resulted in gaps where humidity would most definitely leak out if not addressed and rectified. Having had excellent success with the aforementioned end table cabinet humidor, I went ahead and picked up some additional aquarium-safe silicone and went to work.

One finished, I left the cabinet alone for over a week, door fully open, to let the silicone completely cure and for all odours to have dissipated. Now onto the final part, weather stripping ! As you can see in the images below, I wasn’t able to get a full seal around the entire door as I was hoping for. The door’s retaining mechanism got in the way, as did the drawers of the cabinet (if I had put the weather stripping where the drawers were, it would have obstructed the drawers from opening).

Here we go, hopefully all sealed up and ready for seasoning ! It is important to note that for this cabinet, I chose NOT to silicone the door glass. I evaluated the door and, in all likelihood, it needed to be sealed. That being said, the aesthetics of a humidor are important to me. This is a prominent piece of furniture in the household and it has to look as presentable as possible (also required for the “wife factor” ;) ). The way the cedar lining is on the door, it would have been difficult to apply silicone cleanly without it being very visible from the outside. As such, I chose not to silicone the glass door, also taking into account that I would be using both active as well as passive humidification for this cabinet.

Next up, we prep the Heartfelt beads (65% RH). I took a decorative glass dish and filled it with beads. This is ~1 lbs of beads, which is not enough for this humidor normally but again, this is just the seasoning process.

The following images show 7 days worth of passive seasoning. In the cabinet I’ve got a dish of Distilled Water (DW), my dish of beads and a hygrometer. Important to note, this hygrometer is an el-cheapo from Walmart. It is NOT accurate, however all we care about is the differential day to day, not necessarily the exact precise RH. In other words, I need to see if RH is going up. Whether 51% should really be 55% is not really that relevant at this point in time

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RH pretty much stabilized at this point and wouldn’t really go much higher, despite leaving it for several more days. I decided it was time to add some active humidification to continue the seasoning process. For active humidification, I chose to go with the Cigar Oasis Magna 2.0 electronic humidifier. My first experience went well with Cigar Oasis (I have a Cigar Oasis Plus for my end table humidor), so I decided to continue on that experience. The first thing I’ll say is that the Cigar Oasis (CO) Magna 2.0 is a much more “serious” humidifier than the CO Plus. I will likely do a completely separate thread on just the CO Magna 2.0, but without going into all the details, this electronic humidifier means business. It has a very nice LED remote that plugs into the main unit, and something that is REALLY handy is that is has a power output on the remote that can power auxiliary fans. Anyone that has wired up a cabinet humidor knows what I mean when I say this feature is REALLY handy. For anyone considering a cabinet of this size, I highly recommend getting fans. I actually had to add even more fans, which I’ll talk about further down. Anyways, I unpacked the new CO Magna 2.0 and got it ready.

The CO Magna 2.0 uses its own humidity beads instead of just water in its tank. I presumed these beads were similar to Heartfelt beads, so you can imagine my surprise when I opened the package and there were so few, when compared to the size of the water tank.

Here they are after I put them into the water tank.

Skeptical, I followed the instructions and filled the tank up to the fill line with water. The instructions said the beads would soak up the majority of the water within 24 hours. Yeah, OK, sureeeeeee they will. Those few beads will soak up ALL the water I just put in. Uh huh. Well, I left it for about an hour and came back. Here’s what it looked like:

OK, so the beads expanded a bit. But there’s still mostly water in there. But fine, it had only been an hour after all. I left the house for about 2 hours to run some errands, and came back to this:

WOW ! These are DEFINITELY nothing like Heartfelt beads. I couldn’t resist the urge to touch one of them and see what they felt like. They’re kind of spongy, not hard at all. Very strange feeling, and very strange looking given that I know what they looked like beforehand. OK, well let’s get it into the humidor and keep on seasoning !

Here we are with the CO Magna 2.0’s remote installed, all the wiring routed, auxiliary fans mounted, and another 1 lbs of Heartfelt beads put into another glass dish:

All closed up and running, it only took just over a day to get a steady, stable 72% RH. I eventually brought this up to 77% RH and then let it go down from there.

Here I ran into a problem. While I was keeping a solid, steady 72% RH at the half-way height of the cabinet, the bottom shelf under the drawers wasn’t fairing so well:

Through discussion on another thread, a BOTL came to the rescue and told me that I needed fans to push humidity vertically up. Simply put, I didn’t have enough airflow within the cabinet, so humidity was not being distributed evenly. I first tried a variable speed fan from AC Infinity. Again, I’ll do another thread reviewing AC Infinity fans, but short version is that they are AWESOME. The build quality is extremely high, and they are made of either high grade heavy duty plastic or aluminum. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen an aluminum cased computer fan, so that really surprised me. Yes, AC Infinity fans do cost more, but as with everything, you get what you pay for.

While this is a really great fan and my personal favourite due to its aluminum construction, it puts out much more CFM of air than I needed. And if I put it on the very lowest setting, it seemed to have trouble with that, going extremely slow and then speeding up and then slowing down again. I presume that the very lowest setting isn’t providing enough electrical current to have the fan spin at a stable RPM. Anyways, I chose to try out a different model of fan from AC Infinity, this one being made of heavy duty plastic. This one has three speed settings, LO, MED, HI. Even on high, the CFM of air is not as high as the previous fan. And it was actually a lot quieter as well, which is important based on where my humidor physically lives. This fan came as a set, so I have two of them in the cabinet, one right below the other. I also decided to add a timer to the fans so they don’t run 24/7, but complete an on / off cycle. I have them running for 30min at a time, with a 90min break in-between.

And finally, the day came to load up the cabinet with its prized possessions ! Here is what it looks like now. I have also come to the realization that I am running out of room….. again……

And here are the humidity readings, starting on the top shelf, middle shelf and bottom shelf below the drawers. Three days after taking these pictures things have changed a bit, 62% on the top shelf, 65% in the middle and 71% on the lower due to the CO Magna 2.0 cycling on a little more than before. I presume a bit of stabilizing will have to take place over the next few weeks, so I’m not TOO concerned about it, but I may adjust my fan timer cycles to compensate. I’m also considering whether to add more fans or not.

And the final picture, the very bottom of the cabinet where all the humidification goodies are. Just for those who are curious. You’ll notice my Cigar Oasis WiFi module down there (it has a red LED on it). This add-on is something I debated somewhat, but now that I do have it, I don’t know what I would do without it. The ability to adjust, monitor and see historical data on RH through an app on my smartphone or through a web browser on any computer is such a handy thing. It takes a LOT of stress off my shoulders with having to remember to constantly check the cabinet when I’m at home. I’ll probably do yet another thread just on this WiFi attachment, but I definitely give it a huge thumbs up.

In conclusion, so far, I’d say this cabinet has been a success. I started this entire process near the end of October, 2016, and I did not put a single cigar in it until January, 2017. Yes, it took over 2 months to prep, season and adjust my tactics before being able to use this cabinet. I probably could have shortened that up a bit, but the point I’m trying to get across is that you need to have a lot of patience with this hobby / obsession. You can’t rush things, and if you try to, it might not end up the way you want. Hopefully this thread can help someone else out in the future !

Last edited:

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
1. That is a great deal of work and it's good that you're happy with it.
2. This ain't puff.
3. You have much more patience than I do.
4. With all the money you spent, you couldn't find a cabinet maker in the area to make you something? It seems like an awful waste of money to buy two cheap cabinets instead of the one you know you're going to buy in the future.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Thank you for all of the pictures and all of the explanation! As a newbie I understand the struggle just to understand all of the little details. The humidor is the most intensive part of this hobby and comes right at the beginning. So I chose to do a 28 quart cooler, and I decided to do small scale, even knowing that I would eventually get larger. My problem was that when I decided to get into this I was unemployed. So controlling spending was a priority, and I knew it would be a time before I could collect a large amount of cigars and did not want the temptation of getting out of control.
I do have about 75 cigars in my cooler, not full, and I have resisted the urge to go overboard.
As I get more involved here I love the generosity of the members. I have been bombed several times, and have had the opportunity to smoke some great cigars, that would have been awhile before I would have purchased them. Thanks to some great guys, you know who you are.
Before you get all excited and decide to HELP me out, I do have a new job, and looking forward to getting established and growing my stash. Also the big advantage is I don't have a lot of cigars that I wont ever smoke again. I have a much better idea of what I like and enjoy.
Thanks again, and to all of you new guys out there you have plenty of time to get established, so relax and enjoy the ride!

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Thank you for all of the pictures and all of the explanation! As a newbie I understand the struggle just to understand all of the little details. The humidor is the most intensive part of this hobby and comes right at the beginning. So I chose to do a 28 quart cooler, and I decided to do small scale, even knowing that I would eventually get larger. My problem was that when I decided to get into this I was unemployed. So controlling spending was a priority, and I knew it would be a time before I could collect a large amount of cigars and did not want the temptation of getting out of control.
I do have about 75 cigars in my cooler, not full, and I have resisted the urge to go overboard.
As I get more involved here I love the generosity of the members. I have been bombed several times, and have had the opportunity to smoke some great cigars, that would have been awhile before I would have purchased them. Thanks to some great guys, you know who you are.
Before you get all excited and decide to HELP me out, I do have a new job, and looking forward to getting established and growing my stash. Also the big advantage is I don't have a lot of cigars that I wont ever smoke again. I have a much better idea of what I like and enjoy.
Thanks again, and to all of you new guys out there you have plenty of time to get established, so relax and enjoy the ride!
This is not a contest and everyone has different stashes and situations. I personally like the coolers much better than a cheap wooden humidor but I also have no need to display my 4 or 5 cigars.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Thank you so much for posting this with all your thorough pictures and information.

I have the same humidor, and I am ready to sell the damned thing.

I've had mine for about three years now, and it's been nothing but a headache.

I have scoured the Internet for helpful information, and haven't come up with much until now.

I had 3 lbs of heartfelt beads in mine for about a year and a half, and it seemed to work quite well, but I was always looking for better humidification, so I switched to the Cigar Oasis XL, which was not enough, then switched to a Moist N' Air, which was another pain, then switched to a Hydra...again another pain (granted these were all hand me downs as well).....also want to add that I had a botl make some fans for me that were set on a timer.

So, I did some research on the Magna 2.0, and a couple of people that I know have them as well, and are in the same cabinets as us, and they are having no problems with it, so I break down and buy one.

After I've had it since Nov of 2016 and I've gone through 2 gallons of DW, I discover that the Magna has mold forming in it, and now mold was forming on the bottom of the humidor.

I went out and got some weather stripping, and put that on the inside of the door, which hasn't helped either in my dilemma.

So, this weekend I bought 3 of those big Boveda 320 Gs, and I am crossing my fingers.

I would like to speak to you via pm in regards to this and some extra pointers, because I love my cabinet, but I hate it as well.....if I knew what I know now, I would have just stuck with coolers.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. That is a great deal of work and it's good that you're happy with it.
2. This ain't puff.
3. You have much more patience than I do.
4. With all the money you spent, you couldn't find a cabinet maker in the area to make you something? It seems like an awful waste of money to buy two cheap cabinets instead of the one you know you're going to buy in the future.
1. Thanks !
2. Corrected, I cross-posted and missed that line !
3. Lol
4. Where I live, nope. No one makes custom furniture out of hardwoods where I live. Trust me, I'd MUCH rather have spent the $$$ on a custom made piece of furniture.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. The whole point of the thread is so that others can read, learn, and hopefully avoid some issues based on those learnings. A coolerdor is a great storage medium. Don't get me wrong, my wineador of 8+ years served me VERY well. The choice to go to a wooden cabinet was partially for aesthetic reasons.

Nice setup bro.
Thanks !

Great job on the sealing.
Thanks !

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for posting this with all your thorough pictures and information.

I have the same humidor, and I am ready to sell the damned thing.

I've had mine for about three years now, and it's been nothing but a headache.

I have scoured the Internet for helpful information, and haven't come up with much until now.

I had 3 lbs of heartfelt beads in mine for about a year and a half, and it seemed to work quite well, but I was always looking for better humidification, so I switched to the Cigar Oasis XL, which was not enough, then switched to a Moist N' Air, which was another pain, then switched to a Hydra...again another pain (granted these were all hand me downs as well).....also want to add that I had a botl make some fans for me that were set on a timer.

So, I did some research on the Magna 2.0, and a couple of people that I know have them as well, and are in the same cabinets as us, and they are having no problems with it, so I break down and buy one.

After I've had it since Nov of 2016 and I've gone through 2 gallons of DW, I discover that the Magna has mold forming in it, and now mold was forming on the bottom of the humidor.

I went out and got some weather stripping, and put that on the inside of the door, which hasn't helped either in my dilemma.

So, this weekend I bought 3 of those big Boveda 320 Gs, and I am crossing my fingers.

I would like to speak to you via pm in regards to this and some extra pointers, because I love my cabinet, but I hate it as well.....if I knew what I know now, I would have just stuck with coolers.

That's a lot of HF beads, which I use as well, in conjunction with the Magna 2.0. Yes of course, feel free to PM me or I can give you my digits as well if you'd rather chat and brainstorm. I can definitely understand the frustration of a cabinet not sealing properly. It almost makes you want to quit the hobby.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
That's a lot of HF beads, which I use as well, in conjunction with the Magna 2.0. Yes of course, feel free to PM me or I can give you my digits as well if you'd rather chat and brainstorm. I can definitely understand the frustration of a cabinet not sealing properly. It almost makes you want to quit the hobby.
Totally NOT quitting the hobby, I'm in way too deep, but I have thought of taking an age to it.

I have heard of people using heartfelt beads in their Magnum instead of the beads they come with....thoughts?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally NOT quitting the hobby, I'm in way too deep, but I have thought of taking an age to it.

I have heard of people using heartfelt beads in their Magnum instead of the beads they come with....thoughts?

I've heard of this as well, but I personally chose not to. From what I could gather through research, there are some differences between the two. The Heartfelt beads are better at absorbing humidity, where-as the CO beads are quicker at dispersing it. Basically, the CO beads are meant to add humidity, not remove it. The Magna 2.0 has those two plastic flaps that act like doors for the "bead tank". The idea is that when those flaps are closed, basically very little humidity is being given off from the CO. When the CO is running and those flaps are up, then humidity is being dispersed.

The HF beads are much more "two-way", in that they both shed and absorb humidity. The thing with HF beads is also that they act a lot slower. I've found that mine can take days to absorb excess humidity. I think the idea behind the CO beads is that a CO is intended to be active humidification, not passive. So dispersing humidity quickly needs to be one of the properties of the CO's beads.

In my personal experience, I wouldn't change out the CO's OEM beads.

If I may ask, what % RH are you trying to achieve and what's the temperature inside as well as outside of your cabinet ?

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I've heard of this as well, but I personally chose not to. From what I could gather through research, there are some differences between the two. The Heartfelt beads are better at absorbing humidity, where-as the CO beads are quicker at dispersing it. Basically, the CO beads are meant to add humidity, not remove it. The Magna 2.0 has those two plastic flaps that act like doors for the "bead tank". The idea is that when those flaps are closed, basically very little humidity is being given off from the CO. When the CO is running and those flaps are up, then humidity is being dispersed.

The HF beads are much more "two-way", in that they both shed and absorb humidity. The thing with HF beads is also that they act a lot slower. I've found that mine can take days to absorb excess humidity. I think the idea behind the CO beads is that a CO is intended to be active humidification, not passive. So dispersing humidity quickly needs to be one of the properties of the CO's beads.

In my personal experience, I wouldn't change out the CO's OEM beads.

If I may ask, what % RH are you trying to achieve and what's the temperature inside as well as outside of your cabinet ?
I'm trying to get 62-64% outside temp is 68 degrees. I live in Indiana.

Well there is definitely something up I've had 3 of those big Boveda 320gs in there all weekend, the bottom is sitting at a steady 67% the top shelf is at 57%, I even put another hygrometer in the top shelf, and both are reading 57.

When I had the Magna in there it wouldn't go below 61.9% or above 63.9% which was good, but it ran constantly.

I need to go over it it was a magnifying glass and look for leaks and silicone it like you did I'm afraid.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get 62-64% outside temp is 68 degrees. I live in Indiana.

Well there is definitely something up I've had 3 of those big Boveda 320gs in there all weekend, the bottom is sitting at a steady 67% the top shelf is at 57%, I even put another hygrometer in the top shelf, and both are reading 57.

When I had the Magna in there it wouldn't go below 61.9% or above 63.9% which was good, but it ran constantly.

I need to go over it it was a magnifying glass and look for leaks and silicone it like you did I'm afraid.

So here's my thoughts, for what they're worth. A 10% RH swing is quite excessive..... I'm finding that my top shelf is ~5% lower than the bottom. I know that science dictates that humidity rises, but I believe that boxes, shelves, drawers and cigars themselves are obstacles to that humidity flowing upwards on its own. So a fan really helps here, like I put in the bottom of mine. It "pushes" the humidity up so it's more evenly distributed across the entire cabinet.

I found that if I tried to humidify with the Magna 2.0 ONLY, it would also run more or less consistently (on for 5 seconds, off for 3 seconds, on for 2 seconds, off for 3 seconds, etc etc etc). HF beads really helped stabilize this. If you look in my cabinet, I have a dish of HF beads sitting literally next to the CO's LCD remote. I also have the two aux fans at the same location, at the back of the cabinet but on the same level. I believe this helps the HF beads "shed" humidity more quickly and also disperse it better, which helps regulate the CO and keep it from running 24/7.

Even with doing all this, the top shelf is sitting (today) at 64%, the middle shelf at 66% and the bottom shelf at 68%. No matter what I've done during my experiments, I have never been able to get the top shelf higher in RH than the middle or bottom of the cabinet. Again, my theory on this is airflow and how that humidity is being obstructed from rising. As well, I would guess that any leaks (and I've still got leaks, even if they're minor) are also stealing humidity as it travels up to the top.

JIMHO, I think cabinets of this size and anything larger definitely require active humidification, like a CO. They CAN be supplemented with passive humidification like Boveda packs or beads (or KL for some people), but I don't think I would rely solely on passive humidification to keep RH consistent.

Have you sealed your door up with weather stripping ? Done the flashlight test ? Dollar bill test ?

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
So here's my thoughts, for what they're worth. A 10% RH swing is quite excessive..... I'm finding that my top shelf is ~5% lower than the bottom. I know that science dictates that humidity rises, but I believe that boxes, shelves, drawers and cigars themselves are obstacles to that humidity flowing upwards on its own. So a fan really helps here, like I put in the bottom of mine. It "pushes" the humidity up so it's more evenly distributed across the entire cabinet.

I found that if I tried to humidify with the Magna 2.0 ONLY, it would also run more or less consistently (on for 5 seconds, off for 3 seconds, on for 2 seconds, off for 3 seconds, etc etc etc). HF beads really helped stabilize this. If you look in my cabinet, I have a dish of HF beads sitting literally next to the CO's LCD remote. I also have the two aux fans at the same location, at the back of the cabinet but on the same level. I believe this helps the HF beads "shed" humidity more quickly and also disperse it better, which helps regulate the CO and keep it from running 24/7.

Even with doing all this, the top shelf is sitting (today) at 64%, the middle shelf at 66% and the bottom shelf at 68%. No matter what I've done during my experiments, I have never been able to get the top shelf higher in RH than the middle or bottom of the cabinet. Again, my theory on this is airflow and how that humidity is being obstructed from rising. As well, I would guess that any leaks (and I've still got leaks, even if they're minor) are also stealing humidity as it travels up to the top.

JIMHO, I think cabinets of this size and anything larger definitely require active humidification, like a CO. They CAN be supplemented with passive humidification like Boveda packs or beads (or KL for some people), but I don't think I would rely solely on passive humidification to keep RH consistent.

Have you sealed your door up with weather stripping ? Done the flashlight test ? Dollar bill test ?
Interesting placement of your fans, I had one on the bottom and one on the very top where the hole is (both pushing air up and both before the CO)

Yes I have weather stripping on the door, I've done everything I can think of, except the silicone, which I plan on tackling this weekend.

That would be the only explanation as to why I am 10% lower on top right?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations you have the patience of a saint, Great job and write up(y)
Thanks !

Interesting placement of your fans, I had one on the bottom and one on the very top where the hole is (both pushing air up and both before the CO)

Yes I have weather stripping on the door, I've done everything I can think of, except the silicone, which I plan on tackling this weekend.

That would be the only explanation as to why I am 10% lower on top right?

Hrmmmmmmmm. So I have 2 hypothesis.

One would be that your air circulation is being affected negatively. Maybe this is due to how you're placing your boxes inside your cabinet ? This might sound like a n00b question and I don't mean to insult, but placement of your boxes on your shelves, are they touching the back wall of the cabinet ?

My other hypothesis is that you're leaking humidity out of the top seams of the cabinet, above the big hole (WHY is there a hole to begin with anyways ? I haven't figured that one out yet). This means you need to silicone all the seams / joints and corners up inside the hole. Presuming you're a BOTL and not a STOL, I have found that my male hands are too large to get in there and really get the corners. My wife, who has very small hands, got to help me out here and did a wonderful job getting into the corners which would have literally been impossible for me. If you're in the same boat as me, I recommend finding someone with small hands / wrists / arms to help out. And of course, it goes without saying that you should remove ALL your sticks and humidification before you silicone. And then let it air out as much as possible for as long as possible, before re-seasoning and putting your sticks back in.

I wonder, do you have a tube of humidity beads ? If you do, or you have something you can store the beads in that's similar, maybe try this experiment out. Wet the beads down really well with DW and then put them on the very top shelf. Put a hygrometer directly next to them. I'm curious if that close proximity will result in an RH reading that's the same (within a percent or so) as the setting for the beads.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Thanks !

Hrmmmmmmmm. So I have 2 hypothesis.

One would be that your air circulation is being affected negatively. Maybe this is due to how you're placing your boxes inside your cabinet ? This might sound like a n00b question and I don't mean to insult, but placement of your boxes on your shelves, are they touching the back wall of the cabinet ?

My other hypothesis is that you're leaking humidity out of the top seams of the cabinet, above the big hole (WHY is there a hole to begin with anyways ? I haven't figured that one out yet). This means you need to silicone all the seams / joints and corners up inside the hole. Presuming you're a BOTL and not a STOL, I have found that my male hands are too large to get in there and really get the corners. My wife, who has very small hands, got to help me out here and did a wonderful job getting into the corners which would have literally been impossible for me. If you're in the same boat as me, I recommend finding someone with small hands / wrists / arms to help out. And of course, it goes without saying that you should remove ALL your sticks and humidification before you silicone. And then let it air out as much as possible for as long as possible, before re-seasoning and putting your sticks back in.

I wonder, do you have a tube of humidity beads ? If you do, or you have something you can store the beads in that's similar, maybe try this experiment out. Wet the beads down really well with DW and then put them on the very top shelf. Put a hygrometer directly next to them. I'm curious if that close proximity will result in an RH reading that's the same (within a percent or so) as the setting for the beads.
Yeah, I'm a dude I havent figured out what that hole is for either. Nice suggestion with the beads. I have 2 new hygrometers on the way, should be here Friday. Will put a pound of beads next to one of them in the top...now remember I have a large 320 boveda in the tip ad we'll.

Funny you mention about boxes, earlyast year I decided to take all my boxes and condense all my sticks into big 100 count boxes, this was a bad idea, I ended up having about 7 of those big boxes and I'm sure there was little to no airflow, so this past Sunday I took all my sticks (except 3 unopened boxes and all my Cubans) and put them in gallon zip lock baggies (unsealed)

Here's a pic of the top & bottom shelves

And for shits and giggles, here's the middle shelf

So see...3 big Bovedas, and still having issues.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so one big thing to keep in mind is that you want ~ an inch of space from the back wall of the cabinet absolutely free and clear of anything. No cigar boxes, no ziplock bags, no Boveda packs, nothing. This ensures a continuous vertical path for humidity at the back of the humidor.

One thing I'll mention too that I'm sure you already know, Boveda packs are great but they're really slow. To try and use a Boveda pack to recover the RH lost when you open the cabinet's door for even 10 seconds....... it's tough. Beads are faster, and even better if a stream of air is blowing across them. Here's the science behind that: https://www.reference.com/science/water-evaporate-faster-c79634625bfa8685