What's new

Cabinet humidor prepping, sealing and seasoning ! *** PIC HEAVY ***

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I hear ya on the back wall, back, I have no opening ls in the back, what I mean by that is when it comes to the drawers there is no openings in the back, I can't even slip a wire back there, it's all flush, so when I had the CO in there the sensor had to be wired through the front in front of the drawers.....does this make sense?

I've seen some people can slip their's though the back, but I don't have that option......thanks China

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
OK so one big thing to keep in mind is that you want ~ an inch of space from the back wall of the cabinet absolutely free and clear of anything. No cigar boxes, no ziplock bags, no Boveda packs, nothing. This ensures a continuous vertical path for humidity at the back of the humidor.
I didn't think of this! I'm adjusting my winedor now.

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Great write up. I have the same humidor. It's such a turd. Zero ability to hold the humidity out of the box. I pretty much have an active system running constantly in there and it's barely keeping up. Looks like I'll have to do the same things you did to yours on mine. At this point most of my cigars are out that tower and in coolidors. This will definitely create some more storage for me. Lord knows I don't need a 5th cooler...

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Great write up. I have the same humidor. It's such a turd. Zero ability to hold the humidity out of the box. I pretty much have an active system running constantly in there and it's barely keeping up. Looks like I'll have to do the same things you did to yours on mine. At this point most of my cigars are out that tower and in coolidors. This will definitely create some more storage for me. Lord knows I don't need a 5th cooler...
Well I'm sorry you are in the same boat as me, but I'm also glad that I am not the only one who has had issues with this.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I think you need a fifth cooler.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya on the back wall, back, I have no opening ls in the back, what I mean by that is when it comes to the drawers there is no openings in the back, I can't even slip a wire back there, it's all flush, so when I had the CO in there the sensor had to be wired through the front in front of the drawers.....does this make sense?

I've seen some people can slip their's though the back, but I don't have that option......thanks China

Hrmmmmmmmm, this isn't right. My CO remote wire goes down, behind the drawers, and slips in behind the trays (there's a small cut out specifically for wiring). The drawers shouldn't be resting directly against the back wall when closed, there should be space in between. This is strange.

Thanks. Yes, an active system running non-stop definitely means leaks. Seal it up and you should be in better shape.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Hrmmmmmmmm, this isn't right. My CO remote wire goes down, behind the drawers, and slips in behind the trays (there's a small cut out specifically for wiring). The drawers shouldn't be resting directly against the back wall when closed, there should be space in between. This is strange.

Thanks. Yes, an active system running non-stop definitely means leaks. Seal it up and you should be in better shape.
The drawers will not go all the way back, this is true, but still no holes or cut outs for any wires

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drawers will not go all the way back, this is true, but still no holes or cut outs for any wires

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Along the back wall in the corners of the shelf directly above the drawers (the un-adjustable shelf) is there not a gap ? It's diagonally cut, so it's like a triangle hole. On both the left and right side, directly in the corner at the back wall of the humidor. I'll take pics of mine if you don't see them / believe you don't have them.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Along the back wall in the corners of the shelf directly above the drawers (the un-adjustable shelf) is there not a gap ? It's diagonally cut, so it's like a triangle hole. On both the left and right side, directly in the corner at the back wall of the humidor. I'll take pics of mine if you don't see them / believe you don't have them.
Nope, just checked.

Also I put a pound of beads on the top shelf, so recap: big 320 boveda, two large 65% bovedas, and a small 65% boveda along with a pound of hf beads.... Left them in overnight, and top shelf still sitting at 58%

When I had the CO in there the top was at about 65,and the bottom was teetering around 78%

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
OK, some good news finally, came home for lunch and one hygrometer on top was reading 64%, and the other was still at 58, bottom one is still at 65%.

2 new hygrometers were delivered via Amazon (sales ones as yours) during lunch as well. They are calibrating as I type.

Planning on starting the silicone project after work.....will report back

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, just checked.

Also I put a pound of beads on the top shelf, so recap: big 320 boveda, two large 65% bovedas, and a small 65% boveda along with a pound of hf beads.... Left them in overnight, and top shelf still sitting at 58%

When I had the CO in there the top was at about 65,and the bottom was teetering around 78%

OK that's REALLY weird. There's supposed to be holes for cabling to pass through. Wonder what's going on there.

That being said, glad to see you're making progress. Look forward to seeing the updates.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
So here's my thoughts, for what they're worth. A 10% RH swing is quite excessive..... I'm finding that my top shelf is ~5% lower than the bottom. I know that science dictates that humidity rises, but I believe that boxes, shelves, drawers and cigars themselves are obstacles to that humidity flowing upwards on its own. So a fan really helps here, like I put in the bottom of mine. It "pushes" the humidity up so it's more evenly distributed across the entire cab
Humidity is heavy, it falls to the bottom. It doesn't rise on its own.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humidity is heavy, it falls to the bottom. It doesn't rise on its own.
I don't profess to know the science behind the humidity in a humidor vs outdoors nature, but everything I've been able to research says that humid air rises. This makes sense, as clouds in the sky are essentially water vapor. In a humidor however, there seem to be other factors at play.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Here's a quick update, siliconed the outer top area, I really didn't see anywhere else to seal it.

Then added my fans back in, gonna leave her open for about 3 days to be on the safe side, then reseason and see how the temp goes.

Just an interesting little tidbit of info for ya, I was cleaning the CO, and I had mentioned before that it had got mold in it....so I was fishing out the beads that had mold and throwing them away, this was an ordeal!! I did the best I could, then put the beads in a strainer and ran them under cold water, and cleaned out the CO with soap & water, I know I did not get ALL the moldy beads out, but I got about 90% of them.....i was gonna take pics, but the way they reflected you wouldn't be able to really see what I was seeing, and you all would have thought I was nuts.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an interesting little tidbit of info for ya, I was cleaning the CO, and I had mentioned before that it had got mold in it....so I was fishing out the beads that had mold and throwing them away, this was an ordeal!! I did the best I could, then put the beads in a strainer and ran them under cold water, and cleaned out the CO with soap & water, I know I did not get ALL the moldy beads out, but I got about 90% of them.....i was gonna take pics, but the way they reflected you wouldn't be able to really see what I was seeing, and you all would have thought I was nuts.

Not trying to be insulting or anything (again), but you're filling the CO / beads with Distilled Water, right ? I ask because you said you rinsed the beads under cold water in a strainer, which makes me think it was in your sink and you used the faucet. Tap water has minerals in it that help promote bacteria / mould growth. Once that water sits still for long enough, at room temp, it's the perfect breading ground for mould to develop. As well, the minerals clog up the beads and prevent them from working as well as they can.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Not trying to be insulting or anything (again), but you're filling the CO / beads with Distilled Water, right ? I ask because you said you rinsed the beads under cold water in a strainer, which makes me think it was in your sink and you used the faucet. Tap water has minerals in it that help promote bacteria / mould growth. Once that water sits still for long enough, at room temp, it's the perfect breading ground for mould to develop. As well, the minerals clog up the beads and prevent them from working as well as they can.
Yes, I always used DW, I did just use tap water when I cleaned it out though....wasnt going to waste my dw on just cleaning, and I will be putting dw back in...ive never used tap water for anything, except this one particular time. I didn't take that as insulting bro, I'm appreciating the help.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I always used DW, I did just use tap water when I cleaned it out though....wasnt going to waste my dw on just cleaning, and I will be putting dw back in...ive never used tap water for anything, except this one particular time. I didn't take that as insulting bro, I'm appreciating the help.

OK just checking lol. I don't know about rinsing the beads, but I washed out my CO water reservoir with tap water and soap as well before using it. Just make sure you use a clean dish towel and get it all dry before adding your DW. How's the cabinet doing today ?

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
OK just checking lol. I don't know about rinsing the beads, but I washed out my CO water reservoir with tap water and soap as well before using it. Just make sure you use a clean dish towel and get it all dry before adding your DW. How's the cabinet doing today ?
Fans are still running, it's still open, probably not reseason until tomorrow, then will add the new hygrometers, before adding in the CO again