What's new

Caldwell and Lost & Found cigars. Relabeling old cigars?

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I despise the word "boutique," as well....! As over-played and as meaningless in the business as "passion," and "well-aged."

ssaka - Bring back "Cigar Nexus!" Miss you man!

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads
Are you insulted when they call you "boutique"? Do you think it somehow marginalizes you, or implies you are not on par with the larger corporate lines? What would you prefer? I too think the words boutique and artisanal are way overused, I blame the hipsters!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mossome - I don't get insulted by the word "boutique;" however, it's just my opinion that it's one of those wayyyyyyy over-used words in our business (like "passion")....so when it's utilized, it tends to mean nothing (at least to me).

WHAT is "boutique?" Is it based upon the number of cigars produced? Is it based upon how scarce the cigars are in the marketplace? Or is it more about a "philosophy" towards the craft?

If Brand A produces 100,000 cigars a year are they boutique? If Brand B produces 3M cigars a year, are they also boutique??

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Mossome - I don't get insulted by the word "boutique;" however, it's just my opinion that it's one of those wayyyyyyy over-used words in our business (like "passion")....so when it's utilized, it tends to mean nothing (at least to me).

WHAT is "boutique?" Is it based upon the number of cigars produced? Is it based upon how scarce the cigars are in the marketplace? Or is it more about a "philosophy" towards the craft?

If Brand A produces 100,000 cigars a year are they boutique? If Brand B produces 3M cigars a year, are they also boutique??

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads
I always assumed it was the same as when "craft" is attached to a brewer. Just meaning a company other than one of those huge international conglomerates that mass produce a product with an emphasis more on the bottom line over quality.
What I am more interested in is how you and your peers would rather be called. Much like I would ask a foreiger the correct pronunciation of their name. I don't want to have you feel slighted, and help put out a term you would prefer instead.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
It's kind of like how the word "extreme" seemed to be attached to every sport that wasn't mainstream in the early 2000's
...Or "Craft" beer today. It replaced "microbrew" which I thought was more appropriate. Every beer is crafted, from the macros to the hipster in the garage with a mustache...

Why not call boutique cigars, "craft cigars." The can be differentiated from General/Altadis that way, just like craft beer is distinguished from the macros.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
...Or "Craft" beer today. It replaced "microbrew" which I thought was more appropriate.
Would the cigar version be a "microblend"?

Crap, I'm gonna go TM that before Caldwell does.

Micro is the new thing in the cigar industry!

"Our new microbatch cigars have microleaves that are microfermented, then microblended by our master microblender (who not only has a micromoustache, but also some really cool microtattoos), then are microrolled by only the microest of microrolling microtorcedors in our state-of-the-art-but-also-vintage-cool microfactory."

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the issue is that it some "macro" companies, say like My Father, create many "craft" blends like Las Calaveras for Crowned Heads... plus I am certain they put no less attention in the big brands like Tatuaje that they craft for Pete... Plus My Father started as little fabriquita in Little Havana and I bet if you asked Pepin or Jamie they would tell you the cigars they now make are overall way better in quality today in their much larger Nicaraguan factory. So being small is not necessarily better - it really has more to do with quality of the leaf and manufacturer than the size.

In the end, all handmade cigars are crafted, it isn't like other industries where the big guys do all sorts of automated things to mechanize the process so it is really difficult to come up with a label.

STS

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Would the cigar version be a "microblend"?

Crap, I'm gonna go TM that before Caldwell does...

"Our new microbatch cigars are microfermented, then microblended by our master microblender (who not only has a moustache, but also some really cool tattoos), then are microrolled by only the microest of microrolling microtorcedors in our state-of-the-art-but-also-vintage-cool microfactory."
Smoke Inn already has it, you fail... try again

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I think the issue is that it some "macro" companies, say like My Father, create many "craft" blends like Las Calaveras for Crowned Heads... plus I am certain they put no less attention in the big brands like Tatuaje that they craft for Pete... Plus My Father started as little fabriquita in Little Havana and I bet if you asked Pepin or Jamie they would tell you the cigars they now make are overall way better in quality today in their much larger Nicaraguan factory. So being small is not necessarily better - it really has more to do with quality of the leaf and manufacturer than the size.

In the end, all handmade cigars are crafted, it isn't like other industries where the big guys do all sorts of automated things to mechanize the process so it is really difficult to come up with a label.

STS
Sounds like we're just gonna have to stick with "Boutique" for the time being. It can be like the word "pound" depending on the context it's used in and with what subject will determine how it is understood by our fellow botl/sotl.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0

STS
Yup exactly what I was getting at, but I was going for the tongue in cheek approach...

Cigars are cigars. Why split hairs over designation? It's either regular production or limited edition, and that's it.... some will be fantastic, and some won't.

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."