What's new

Caldwell Quality Control

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I've had a few of their eastern standard and liked them but there are better sticks for the $$ IMO. All the rest I've had seem to burn wet? Wonky burn and tunneling...

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
I've had issues with the 6x60 LLTK & Sevilla, LLTK lancer not staying lit. Never have had an issue with 40-50 rg sticks staying lit though, it was the lanceros or large RG sticks that I had issues with. Never had an issue with eastern standard, TKID or last tzar.

I am surprised to say it but they beat out Room 101 for shoddiest quality in an over eight dollar stick.
Never have had an issue with construction on room 101 (Davidoff owned, Camacho owned before) smokes, and I've smoked a ton of them over the past 2-3yrs.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've had issues with the 6x60 LLTK & Sevilla, LLTK lancer not staying lit. Never have had an issue with 40-50 rg sticks staying lit though, it was the lanceros or large RG sticks that I had issues with. Never had an issue with eastern standard, TKID or last tzar.

Never have had an issue with construction on room 101 (Davidoff owned, Camacho owned before) smokes, and I've smoked a ton of them over the past 2-3yrs.
I've gotten most of mine from the JR up the road. There always seems to be an issue with the wrappers cracking and unraveling, or a continuous need for touching because the burn gets super lopsided. It even happens after a few weeks in my tupperdor at 69% and 66°-70°.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been saying this since summer of 14. Big variances even in a 5er. I would have 2 that were really good and then 2 or 3 that had major construction problems.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I desperately want to like Caldwell because I like the idea behind it. He does source some rare tobaccos and his blends provide different and interesting flavors from anything else on the market. TKID tastes like nothing I've ever had before and that's to be commended in an era where many blends end up being a nothing more than a glorified retread of something previously put to market.
But I too have been plagued by construction issues and it's ruined my experience when I'm shelling out that kind of dough. Shit happens with handmade products, but it happens way more than it should with Caldwell (in best Mark Cuban voice) and for that reason, I'm out.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yes! I'm done with Caldwell. I can get these for same or less. I'd add Warped to that list btw.
Totally agree. Eastern Standard retail at $240 a box, Warped FDVs at $212 and Futuros at $170. No brainer, imho. Although the EST I smoked was good, certainly not that good. And their whole marketing and branding strategy kinda annoys me. Not a real big fan of Steampunk/Hiptster shit to begin with, and how any of that applies to cigars really throws me for a loop. The owners probably figured that slapping steampunk on a cigar box would grab the 20-something demographic, but I'm 40 and still don't understand the Steampunk thing at all--although I enjoy watching H.G. Wells 'The Time Machine' from time to time.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Caldwell is a divisive character, that's for sure. I think the only two things everyone can agree on are:
1. He has unique blends unlike most other stuff on the market
2. Construction is inconsistent

I've rarely had an issue with the stuff I've smoked, but seems everyone else has had nothing but. But I don't smoke the number of sticks most others do and I avoid large or small LG and tend to stick to the 46-50rg, which I think is easier to do well for your average roller. I'm very hopeful that with the move to his own factory, he can fix the construction issues. I'd like to see him do well, even if his marketing isn't something I care for. The more success we can see from new cigar makers, the better IMHO.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Maybe Caldwell's blends are unique for a reason. Others are smart enough to recognize that you can't use those blends and avoid all of the construction/combustion problems.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Maybe Caldwell's blends are unique for a reason. Others are smart enough to recognize that you can't use those blends and avoid all of the construction/combustion problems.
I don't necessarily think that is the issue. I could be completely wrong but I think it's more of an issue with timing. There's other cigars coming out of the same factory with great QC. Perhaps the product is being rushed a bit? Either way I will say that the eastern standard has great flavor and I've never had an issue with them.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
For the money there are better choices with less issues, my experience is greater than 50% had problems when no other cigars in the humidor had issues, so I won't be buying them again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drbell15

SmallWaveDave
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I only really like the eastern standard but sponginess and a wonky burn is not what I expect at that price point. Especially when its a morning cigar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the poor construction and other problems have been brought up time and again on reviews of Caldwell ceegars...I'm not gonna go back and search the Interweb to support this, it's just my impression, and the reason that I don't give 'em the nod. What I recall is that they are a very 'meh' stick that they want some not-so-meh cash for.