What's new

Caldwell Quality Control

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
I haven't smoked a large number of their sticks but I've enjoyed each that I've had. No issues and good flavor, even the JV stuff I've had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I need to ask, am I just extraordinarily unlucky when it comes to Caldwell cigars? This Long Live the King is the third of a 5er I've received as a NC introduction... each one has been has been as spongy as the dish scrubber in my kitchen sink. So much so, it will barely burn. I know there is a lot of love for these, but pitching 3 cigars is a rare occurrence even with all the CCs I burn. Is this common for these? My humidor is at 65/65, and no other sticks (so far) have had this problem. Am I the anomaly here?
i haven't had any issue with anything by Caldwell, I especially like the Eastern Standard line and the Last Tsars

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I haven't smoked a large number of their sticks but I've enjoyed each that I've had. No issues and good flavor, even the JV stuff I've had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ironically, I had better construction on the jv lines

I was a big fan of Caldwell when they hit the block but the construction issues put me off. Couple great smokes and many dog turds that wouldn't stay lit or had impossible draw

How they pull in 15 a stick on some of these boggles my mind. The artwork is great though

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A lot of comments/threads on here all about the same thing. By the time Caldwell gets it right, it will likely be too late. No way Caldwell smokes what he sells.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The quality just doesn't justify the price-point for me. Whereas with Foundation, Crowned Heads, Warped(;)), and Sobremesa, the quality, without a doubt, justifies the price-point.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've enjoyed most Caldwell sticks I've smoked. Did have some trouble keeping a few lit. I have noticed that the newer sticks seem to have lost that great oily look. Don't know if that's due to the new factory.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I can't get enough of the Eastern Standard line. Blind Man's Bluff was okay but didn't wow me. Ive had one Long Live the King and it was not smokable because it was so tight. I will admit that I've seen a lot more people than usual complain about the construction of their sticks. I will continue to buy the ES though for sure.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I always feel like I need to unbutton my shirt all the way down to my fat belly when in the presence of a Caldwell. Additionally, I always feel like I need to "towel off" when leaving the presence of such.

Nice artwork though - lots of ways to sell cigars... And lots of other things.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I finally got the chance to try a couple of Caldwell cigars. Long Live The King was good, or the first half. Then it was damn near hollow and wouldn't stay lit. The first time I had that happen in a cigar that cost more than $5. The Blind Man's Bluff was so tight it wouldn't draw. My cheeks would collapse and all that came out was a tiny wisp of smoke. The foot was smoking pretty well. It just wasn't making it through the cigar.

I am surprised to say it but they beat out Room 101 for shoddiest quality in an over eight dollar stick.