What's new

Camera Recommendation

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
So in a few months I will be heading on the Drew Estates Cigar Safari and I'm looking for a camera recommendation. Obviously quality is important, both of the camera and pictures, but so is the price. I don't do a lot of photography so this thing wont see much use outside the trip. The ability to take some video is important too.

Any recommendations?

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Well that is if you even want to get into the DSLR game, personally if its not going to see much action then I would go PS (Point and Shoot).

1) There are tons of great ones out there that take quality pictures and video.

2) If you're not into photography much anyways, then I am sure you don't want to lug something around all day slung over your shoulder. A PS can fit in your pocket easily and be pulled out when you feel you want to get to snapping.

Here is a link to B&H's PS selection.

Canon (yes biased) has great PS with great rating,

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
this thing wont see much use outside the trip. The ability to take some video is important too.

Any recommendations?
There's your answer... why pay big money on a big camera you won't use? Get a good point and shoot camera that you can put in your pocket and pull out quickly to take some shots and video. When I was down in Nica, a couple people brought DSLR's. I sure was happy I didn't have to lug one around the fields and factory. When I went to Cuba, I brought a DSLR and wish I stuck with a point and shoot. Sure you can get some better shots, but if you're not a photographer why bother? Quality can be good enough...

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
So in a few months I will be heading on the Drew Estates Cigar Safari and I'm looking for a camera recommendation. Obviously quality is important, both of the camera and pictures, but so is the price. I don't do a lot of photography so this thing wont see much use outside the trip. The ability to take some video is important too.

Any recommendations?
Ok i dont know what price point your trying to reach but Olympus and pentax both make rugged style cameras that take decent shots and can handle being dropped, water, sand, and all that fun stuff.

Just a thought

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I would say just use a newer Smartphone that has a good camera built in or a point and shoot camera. Some of the cheaper Canon cameras have custom firmware you can get from a third party to take RAW images.

aroma

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be more than you want to pay, but the Sony RX100 and RX100 II are awesome, awesome cameras in a very tiny, pocketable package.

Inexpensive cameras often struggle in low light, like in a typical residence at night, in bars, etc. The RX100s are great in low light, and they make superb video.

For short-term use, the high-end price is a major issue. You might consider trying to find a used or refurb unit and/or reselling the camera after the trip. But once you see the results, you'll be very tempted to keep it.

For any kind of camera research, dpreview.com is a great resource.

AbeFroman

Big Gulps, huh?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
My honest opinion? Look into mirrorless cameras. You could find an Olympic PEN camera on eBay for less than $200 for a body and lens, I bet. They're small, perfect for traveling and have dSLR like controls. Since you want this for the Cigar Safari and don't do photography much, a mirrorless camera will be perfect for you. You can use it for many other things and if you find that you want to get into photography more, you'll already have the experience and can make a decision with what dSLR to get. But I'd definitely look into an Olympus PEN camera system, I know a lot of photogs that use them for travel/EDC cameras since their dSLR stuff is pretty bulky and they absolutely love them.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'd second what Aroma said. You want to make sure you have a decent sensor as well since that's what does most of the work. Most P&S, as mentioned earlier, don't function well in lower light. You can do things like using a positive EV setting or a higher ISO. Warning though....higher ISOs can product a lot of noise in the pictures. I'd check out a hybrid camera such as the Sony HX100 or similar. It has most of the features of a DSLR but without the ability to change lenses plus a better sensor than pocket P&S cameras. They are also fairly lightweight so they won't weigh you don't as much as a full DSLR might. You should be able to find them for in the $200-$300 range depending.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Okay raising this thread from the dead.

Leaving in one week and still haven't bought a camera. I've changed my mind and no longer want to do the DSLR route and instead will go with a point & shoot. Features I'm looking for

• Quality Pictures
  • Ease of use
  • Good video
  • Good lowlight pictures
  • Good optic zoom

My allowance caps out at around 300 for this, but ideally I would stay closer to 200. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks crew!

Edit - this is one camera I was considering Canon - PowerShot SX280HS

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Leaving in one week and still haven't bought a camera. I've changed my mind and no longer want to do the DSLR route and instead will go with a point & shoot. Features I'm looking for

• Quality Pictures
  • Ease of use
  • Good video
  • Good lowlight pictures
  • Good optic zoom

My allowance caps out at around 300 for this, but ideally I would stay closer to 200. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks crew!

Sounds like we're on the same Safari. If it makes you feel any better, my buddy and I are bringing about $12,000 worth of camera gear with us and we plan on getting an absurd amount of pictures and video. We're more than happy to snap and photos you'd like.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the money you are looking to spend I would agree stick with a point & shoot. While all of my big rigs are Canon, I have owned Canon Powershots, Nikon CoolPix and Pentax point & shoots over the last few years for my wife to shoot with. Of all the point & shoots, the Pentax was the best all around camera equally capturing great still and video images.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0

• Quality Pictures
  • Ease of use
  • Good video
  • Good lowlight pictures
  • Good optic zoom

Thanks crew!

Sounds like we're on the same Safari. If it makes you feel any better, my buddy and I are bringing about $12,000 worth of camera gear with us and we plan on getting an absurd amount of pictures and video. We're more than happy to snap and photos you'd like.
I may take you up on that brother! I do need to pick something up though as well because after Safari I'm sticking around Nica for another 4 days to tour some other factories :D

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
Nikon makes some pretty cool stuff at that price point. The coolpix really is a good camera for 200 or so. Mine is a few years old so I can't point you to a specific new one, but definately check them out.

Also- a good place to find really good deals on cameras that you wouldn't think of is Office Depot/staples. The same is true about tvs. Just throwing that out there.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I have a sony Nex 5n that I could send to you to use for the trip. Easy to use, takes great pictures and video.

Let me know if you want to use it, I could ship it tomorrow or today if you get me your info soon enough.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
If you don't want to borrow mine, I'd sell it for $300. :) But you're welcome to borrow it.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I agree with the mirrorless camera Its practically a DSLR in a smaller body with out the mirror ergo the mirror less name.. My next cam for personal use will be a mirrorless prob the olympus OMD... Look online at B&H thats were you'll get the BEST prices hands down. Good thing about olympus lenses is that they are Micro four thirds lens which between Olympus and panasonic you have a wide choices of lenses at a GREAT price. Don't go with a point and shoot IMO when you can spend 200 more for a camera that will last and give you a better picture(depending on the photog). FYI I'm a photographer that freelances for the giants and Staten Island yankees..