What's new

Camera Recommendation

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Jmphotog - you might want to consider the Sony line. They've dropped the NEX name and the new A6000 is pretty stellar. Not to mention you get a APSC sensor instead of the small m4/3. Being a photog you should understand the difference of bigger sensors. the nice thing with the Sony line is the Zeiss glass available and adapters that allow full native use of Nikon/Canon/Leica glass. It's the most supported mirror-less system out.

I'm also a photog and own my own business.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Jmphotog - you might want to consider the Sony line. They've dropped the NEX name and the new A6000 is pretty stellar. Not to mention you get a APSC sensor instead of the small m4/3. Being a photog you should understand the difference of bigger sensors. the nice thing with the Sony line is the Zeiss glass available and adapters that allow full native use of Nikon/Canon/Leica glass. It's the most supported mirror-less system out.

I'm also a photog and own my own business.
Not going to lie I drooled over that camera when I shot my friends I would've never thought I'd say that about a sony but I couldn't help it.. The AF was on point, and the low light was impressive.. The only reason why I was going for the OMD was that I actually own film OM's that I learned film on so I'm kind of attached so to speak but its def in my top 3.. other being Fuji of course :applause: But we shall see ...

And its great to know there are other photogs out there on this forum!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I shoot Sony and am likely to switch over to the Panasonic GH3 in the next couple of months.

But I am a huge mirrorless proponent. I have a couple of issues with Sony's line, having shot (and loved) the NEX and Alpha lines so I certainly won't speak bad about them.

aroma

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching the mirrorless cameras for years, waiting for a mirrorless with a great sensor AND a fast, high-quality, walk-around zoom. Sony has superior sensors but not the lens I'm looking for. Micro-four-thirds (Olympus, Panasonic) has a great 12-35/2.8 lens, but their sensors are a step behind. Fuji looks be the first to hit the sweet spot. Their X-E2 body and 18-55/2.8-4 are very good, and the just-announced X-T1 body and 16-55/2.8 look great on paper. Here's hoping they actually deliver what they're promising.

Getting back to the OP - for travel, a walk-around zoom is best, and the NEX-3N for $298 on amazon includes a very compact 16-50 kit lens. It's not going to be pro-quality, but I think it's amazing for the price.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To avoid annoying anyone, I'll refrain from linking. However, I'm a pro photographer and I blog about photography for a living. If you google my name you'll get a link to my blog. On the right hand column I list many of my reviews.

My last review was of the Sony a7 which I liked a lot (a7R review is there as well). Hopefully you'll find it helpful.

I'm also new to cigars (just posted my intro) so while I'm trying to help you with photography questions, I'd love it if you could help me with cigar questions. ;-)

To avoid irritating people, I'm not going to post links to articles so this is pretty much all I have to say on this topic. :)

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
To avoid annoying anyone, I'll refrain from linking. However, I'm a pro photographer and I blog about photography for a living. If you google my name you'll get a link to my blog. On the right hand column I list many of my reviews.

My last review was of the Sony a7 which I liked a lot (a7R review is there as well). Hopefully you'll find it helpful.

I'm also new to cigars (just posted my intro) so while I'm trying to help you with photography questions, I'd love it if you could help me with cigar questions. ;-)

To avoid irritating people, I'm not going to post links to articles so this is pretty much all I have to say on this topic. :)
Just out of curiosity, which do you like better, the A7 or the A99?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just out of curiosity, which do you like better, the A7 or the A99?
There's lots of cameras out there so I don't get to formally test them all just due to lack of hours in the day (or night in my case). My limited time with the a99 left me disappointed as I found the EVF to be freakishly surreal. Outside of the a7, a7R and NEX-7, there haven't been any other Sony cameras that excited me enough to consider owning one of them. That isn't to say they aren't good - I just test a lot of cameras and previously they never shined enough to make me want to own one.

I should note that I'm not sponsored by any camera company and I'm in a financial position to own any camera system (or systems) I want. If I were buying a mirrorless today, I'd go for the a7 (with the Fujifilm X-E2 a very close second). I might change my mind when I get my hands on the Fujifilm X-T1). See my blog for reasons why I prefer the a7 over the a7R (which does have a better sensor).

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Very cool blog! I wish Sony would stick with the A-mount lens system. Not a big fan of mount adapters and even less of a fan of having to buy all new lenses. Guess I'll have to go with the A99...eventually (I'm going to eventually need tethering capabilities.

BTW, feel free to ask any cigar related questions. :)

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The A-mount isn't going anywhere EVP, at least not yet. They're updating lenses for it and working on more along with more Zeiss glass. The E-Mount is just an alternative and it nice one at that as you can get an adapter and use any lens on it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool blog! I wish Sony would stick with the A-mount lens system. Not a big fan of mount adapters and even less of a fan of having to buy all new lenses. Guess I'll have to go with the A99...eventually (I'm going to eventually need tethering capabilities.

BTW, feel free to ask any cigar related questions. :)
I've got the adapter out for review but still need to test it. It doesn't seem to bad and it makes sense as there's a better selection of A mount lenses anyway. I'd urge you to give the a7 a close look before committing to the a99.

Once we start talking canon I can chime in better lol ..
I shoot with a Canon 1D X and 5D Mark III - ask away.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
So how did the trip go? I assume you're back but maybe on a business trip now. We want to see some pictures.

aroma

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great blog. I just subscribed thru my feed reader. I like your independent opinions in the context of familiarity with conventional wisdom. Looking forward to your X-T1 review.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great blog. I just subscribed thru my feed reader. I like your independent opinions in the context of familiarity with conventional wisdom. Looking forward to your X-T1 review.
Thanks! You get it, and that's why 90k people visit per month. Mine is probably one of the ugliest blogs, but I also think it's one of the more honest blogs which is why it does well.

I'll be shooting the X-T1 in the mountains outside Seattle next week - I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pics look great! There appear to be a lot of back stories to some of those images and getting ink done in a foreign land, you are a brave soul my friend!