What's new

Can Cigar Smokers Get Life Insurance

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
So, I am getting some additional coverage for the family with our youngest heading off to college next year, just want to ensure that in the event of something happening, I don't leave the family burdened with having to decide between keeping him in school or paying the mortgage. So this article was so very timely!

Enjoy.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
When I got my plan, I disclosed my two cigars per week and got non-smoker rates through Prudential.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Besides social media I'm not sure they could prove 2-20 a week.... I get lung cancer etc. So what? I inhale Co2 CO and 600 other carcinogens at house fires during overhaul. When they asked for my profession they didn't blink a eye at my rate "level". I was non smoker from the start. At least in my mind. I watch what I eat for the most part. Try to get in the gym....for the most part. Food intake and type will soon outweigh any arguments that cigars have as a major risk factor. I'd say most cigars smokers are probably 2-5 a week anyway. Thanks to the OP for the article!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have a policy through Kansas City life and smoking a cigar a week leads to smokers rates. I think their cut off was less than one a month, and it was classified as celebratory cigars. Just depends on the company. I had to use them for what it was for, but the premium isn't really that bad for the coverage I have.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I was talking to a investment planner a few weeks ago, he asked about insurance , I'm covered with a small one from work when I retired, but when I said I was a cigar smoker, he didn't like that, so I asked what was the limit or the issue, all he said was it will cost more because u smoke, That was Allstate, not sure who they would buy from......
Like Jfire says, I've had more shit in my body due to fighting fire for 37 years, and no question asked, but god forbid I say I smoke cigar and they get all up my ASS......

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I am up for re review. When I said 1 per month they classified me as nicotine policy even though my blood test showed zero.

This time I'm going non smoker, taking a break, locking it up, and moving on.

My policy coverage was cut to a third when they classified as nicotine...

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I am up for re review. When I said 1 per month they classified me as nicotine policy even though my blood test showed zero.

That's kind of my thinking. They cut your policy by a third. Yet there are many ways you can leave this earth. Sure cancer is the big concern. But lets not lump all of us together with the people who smoke 20-60 cigarettes a day. It's not the same. And life insurance I'm guessing has to be a multy billion dollar a year industry. How about doing some studies to show the actual risks for your clients. Instead of using a organization's stats out there for one reason. To stop a person from doing it all together.
For me I just can't wrap my head around the A- rating I received being a full time FF/medic. Yet my 2 cigars a week are going to make me lose coverage or see a sever cost increase.

Last edited:

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0

That's kind of my thinking. They cut your policy by a third. Yet there are many ways you can leave this earth. Sure cancer is the big concern. But lets not lump all of us together with the people who smoke 20-60 cigarettes a day. It's not the same. And life insurance I'm guessing has to be a multy billion dollar a year industry. How about doing some studies to show the actual risks for your clients. Instead of using a organization's stats out there for one reason. To stop a person from doing it all together.
For me I just can't wrap my head around the A- rating I received being a full time FF/medic. Yet my 2 cigars a week are going to make me lose coverage or see a sever cost increase.
It's pretty absurd imo. And not by a third, to a third!!! 500k down to 170k...

Maybe they're right. 32 year old guy smoking a few cigars probably won't last until 52 since cancer will creep in and get me. Strange business these insurance guys are in.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Something to consider- I have heard that it is common for insurance companies to conduct autopsies before cutting big checks. If they find someone was not truthful they will not pay out- guaranteed.
This was why I was honest, blood tests aside. My insurance agent was very clear about how they would deny payment if I even took up smoking and didn't report it.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
My policy has a two year clause where once we pass the two year mark, it is locked in. I could start smoking, shooting dope, or even commit suicide and the policy still stands. I agree that it's nuts, but it is what it is

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
My life insurance is with Prudential. I disclosed that I smoke cigars. Rate is slightly more than my wife, a non-smoker, pays for her policy. Most insurance policies lock in after two years regardless of applicant fraud (i.e. not disclosing cigar smoking or amount of smoking on the application). However, would you really want to die in the first two years and have your family not receive the benefits they were expecting so that you could save a few bucks a month? Seems crazy to me to take that risk. Insurance companies are not stupid and they will get out of paying if they can.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
And a autopsy does not prove (at least for me) that cigars instead of 600 chemicals known to kill firefighters caused a cancer.....

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
The two year thing applies to accidental errors, omissions, that kind of thing, NOT fraud. Fraud (intentional misrepresentation) is an entirely different matter. If you lie about your cigar intake, it doesn't matter if it's a year or ten years later, an insurance company can deny payment.