What's new

Canned Beer is the Future of Good Beer

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
http://gizmodo.com/5622938/canned-beer-is-the-future-of-good-beer

Interesting article to read. I, in the past, have fallen prey to the stereotype of canned beer won't be good. In fact I've even neglected to buy beer from Oskar Blues because of this.

Some good points made in this article. Definitely think I'll pick some up and give it a shot. It would definitely be more convenient to have some beer in cans. My apartment's pool frowns on glass bottles for good reason, and having good beer (I can't stand the "domestic" beers) is a must for me, especially if I'm out by the pool.

Thoughts anyone?

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Dude Oskar Blues beer rocks. Slyfox here in PA recently started canning and someone else in PA near me started canning. I love cans they take up less recycling space and are also a ton lighter as mentioned in the article.

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Dude Oskar Blues beer rocks. Slyfox here in PA recently started canning and someone else in PA near me started canning. I love cans they take up less recycling space and are also a ton lighter as mentioned in the article.
Any one you'd recommend I pick up? I'll be stopping at the liquor store/grocery store today and will pick up a 6er.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Hmmm...maybe it's just me, but I think I'll stick to my bottled craft beer. Not that cans aren't good and there are definitely some advantages (for instance when I go on float trips I would be able to take some decent beer), but the bottle is part of the appeal for me. :dunno: just my $0.02.

Dan

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Hmmm...maybe it's just me, but I think I'll stick to my bottled craft beer. Not that cans aren't good and there are definitely some advantages (for instance when I go on float trips I would be able to take some decent beer), but the bottle is part of the appeal for me. :dunno: just my $0.02.

Dan
See, I completely agree with that. I just would like the option so if I'm floating the river, out by the pool, or need the convenience of a can (hockey locker room is a biggie too) I can still enjoy good beer.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Of course aluminum bottles may be an okay substitute. I tried it when Budweiser came out with them. A little gimicky perhaps, but still gives that "bottle feel".

Dan

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I "was" the same way guys... then I tried Ten FIDY (It's 10.5%) from Oskar Blues. It's one of my favorite beers now, I'm a big fan of Imperial Stouts. Plus.. if you're going to drink a good craft beer pour that thing in a pint glass - you would even notice the can that way. :)

MMMmmm.... beer.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
tops go for the gubna ipa in 4pack

or if you want
ten fidy is a wicked ris

and lastly, old chub is some tasty scottish style ale .

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I don't care what my beer comes in I drink it out of a glass of some sort. Unless I'm tailgating or camping of course. Now though a lot of places are requiring aluminum at sporting events and such. So cans only unless you have small sixtel kegs or something.

As to a recommendation on Oskar Blues. It depends on what type of beer you like. If you like hoppy Dales Pale Ale is good I just had a draft one for lunch today. The Gubna is a double IPA which is 10%abv and quite tastey but it's $90 a case. The Scottish ale is a fine beer and the Yella Pils is quite refreshing with good crisp hops taste.

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll check 'em out tonight. I'm sort of a self proclaimed hophead. The hoppier and more bitter the beer the better IMO. So I'm always about trying new IPAs and double-IPAs. It'll be nice to find some new beer that can be more portable than bottles, though I like the aesthetic of having a bottle since I collect them from all the new beers I try.

The BurgerMeister

the devil is a busy man.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll have to try some of that Oskar Blues stuff... sounds tasty!

one of my favorite everyday beers is Sapporo. i dig it in the can or the bottle... though it usually just ends up in a glass.

BeerAdvocate

BeerHunter
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Cans are the future!
Newcastle & FatTire both taste better out of a can.
One of the best Imperial Stouts around is Oskar Blues TenFidy.
A local brewery here in KS, moved to strictly canning their beer!

iCraig

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Cans are the future!
Newcastle & FatTire both taste better out of a can.
One of the best Imperial Stouts around is Oskar Blues TenFidy.
A local brewery here in KS, moved to strictly canning their beer!
I've seen the fat tire in cans here.. but I can't get Newcastle in cans here cuz I'm in Texas. Stupid Texas laws...*sigh*.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I "was" the same way guys... then I tried Ten FIDY (It's 10.5%) from Oskar Blues. It's one of my favorite beers now, I'm a big fan of Imperial Stouts. Plus.. if you're going to drink a good craft beer pour that thing in a pint glass - you would even notice the can that way. :)

MMMmmm.... beer.
Tim, I agree Ten FIDY rocks! :applause:

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0

Dan
:applause:

Cans suck, IMO. Doesn't taste the same either. Though, Fat Tire isn't BAD compared to the bottled version.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Im not a big beer fan, but I have to admit some cans look better than others.
The advertising may entice me to try a few of these.