What's new

Cant cut it straight...what am I doing wrong?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I line my Xikar cutter up just below the first cap, snip hard and fast and lo and behold, its crooked and looks like it has a mountain on it. By that I mean, it looks like there is a bump across the cigar where the two blades met. What am I doing wrong? Why cant i cut it straight? Any ideas?

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The quick motion probably causes you to pull back ever so slightly causing the bump you describe. I will say I sometimes get the bump and it rarely, if ever, seems to effect the draw. One option for you is to set your Xikar on a flat surface, opened up prepared to cut. Then place your cigar into the hole, leaving the Xikar on the flat and clipping it that way. Won't create the bump because you are not able to move the cutter away as you snip.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I used to get that alot with xikar cutters. I think it is just as Brandon mentioned that you are moving just a hair as you cut. One trick that used to work for me was to push a little right after starting to cut. That said I did eventually move away from xikars as I didn't like the mechanism. Really like the looks of the new ones with on fixed blade similar to a palio.

But I already use Palio so wont be picking one up

Oxman

Oliva Ho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you pinch your fingers together, the natural motion of your hand pulls your fingers toward the center of your palm. The tabletop suggestion works quite well, as does the "push" idea. Just be careful not to push too hard or you'll crush the cigar!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Sometimes cigar aficionados like to cut the cigar at a slight angle and it has been referred to as a slant cut, French cut or angle cut.

As long as you don't cut to much off which results in the wrapper coming off, the angle cut works just as well as the straight cut, v-cut or punch.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Forget cutters and get yourself a punch!
you really punch every cigar?

To the OP, happens to me with both the Xikar and the Palio sometimes, and I figured it was user error, like pulling my figers back. Has never affected a cigar or how it smokes, so I say don't sweat it too much.

awhitaker

HoosierOTL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's been times when I don't have my cutters and just bite the cap off. Works just as well although the cut isn't pretty and you could end up unraveling the cigar because you bit off the whole cap. I have that little ridge or bump in my cuts sometimes too and I use a Xikar. The Xikar is about five years old and could perhaps be sent in for sharpening but it doesn't bother me and it doesn't mess up the cigar or the draw.

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Some people move the cutter purposely as part of their cutting motion. The reason is to prevent any debris. I could care less if it's a perfect right angle, much more concerned with the cleanness of the cut and how much tobacco is going to get on my tongue.

If I used a straight cut more often, I would invest in a Palio as the few times I've used it I've produced better cuts, but I v-cut 9/10 ten times.

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Have you tried pulling the truck over and coming to a complete stop before you cut?:yes:

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Have you tried pulling the truck over and coming to a complete stop before you cut?:yes:
:rofl:

I don't have a Xikar, but with my double guillotine I close the blades til they rest on the cigar and then cut. I find it gives me a better/cleaner cut :dunno:.

Dan

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I do the trick with my Xikars that was mentioned by Brandon, where I lay the cutter flat, and it even helps with finding about where you want to cut, anyway.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
:rofl:

I don't have a Xikar, but with my double guillotine I close the blades til they rest on the cigar and then cut. I find it gives me a better/cleaner cut :dunno:.

Dan
I do the same thing with my double-blade. I used to try and balance around it, but was unhappy with the cut and I just close it til it rests on the cap, then I snap it shut. Been much happier with the cut lately.

A good portion of my smoking it aesthetic. I hate uneven burns and an awkward cut. I'm weird like that in a lot of things I do, especially with my hockey sticks (the tape has to be just right and brand new for each game. Otherwise, it's always in the back of my head.. no idea why).

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
You are going deep enough to cut the filler tobacco,and Xicar blades are thick enough to pull the cut upwards and cause your ridge.I have used Xicar cutters often and expect this effect.The cigar will still smoke fine.........

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
don't make it rocket science! Also people seem to think you have to make it fast, take it nice and slow, a cigar love-making session.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
You are going deep enough to cut the filler tobacco,and Xicar blades are thick enough to pull the cut upwards and cause your ridge.I have used Xicar cutters often and expect this effect.The cigar will still smoke fine.........
Kind of what I was thinking too. But I have used my Xikar and got a cut with no bump in the middle so I figured it was me. Either way, my Xikar only gets used when I've miss placed my Palio.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a xikar never really had issues like that. i've switched to using a punch now though and only use the xikar for tapered end cigars. plus the punch is easier to carry around on my keychain so i'm always prepared. i'm always paranoid about losing my xikar cutter lol.