What's new

Cant Keep It Cool Enough

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Where's you humidification unit? Are there fans?

It might be possible to add cooling to the existing unit. When yours ran ok for a while then climbed, the issue was that there wasn't enough cooling so little heat accumulated over time to this larger temp.

A dumbed down idea for cooling: ice in sealed container. But depending how your setup is done, electrothermic conversion could be interesting.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I don't know what they say but I can give you options. Depends on cost and hassle.

• Money no object. Buy a new custom cabinet with cooling option.
  • Varied cost. Cool down your house with AC or put a window one in.
  • $200-$400 Thermoelectric wine cooler 28 bottle (NEW)
  • $40-150 USED Craigslist, etc.
Those are some options.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Ive been planning on doing a DIY project to add a thermoelectric cooler to my cabinet this summer.... I really dont NEED the cooling capability... My house stays right at 70 all summer.. but I thought it would be a fun project..

you can build your own unit pretty cheap.. the real trick is figuring out how to install it so that you dont jack up the integrity of your cabinets sealed environment.. and how to make it look nice (I dont want to have a bunch of visible wires, displays, etc.. in there...

but in a nutshell.. all you really need a decent peltier unit (can be bought several places for anywhere from a few bucks for a little one.. to less than $20 for a really big one capable of pumping out significant cold...).. a couple of larger sized heat sinks.. a power supply.. and an controller.. slap it all together.. and youre in business..

with my house staying right at 70.. I dont think I need much of a unit to bring the cabinet down to 65-68 reliably..

you can find some pretty high performance peltiers here for reasonable prices:

https://tetech.com/peltier-thermoelectric-cooler-modules/high-performance/

video on how to build a device (minus the controller) here (this guy built a decent unit for $35):

Ive got a pretty tall fascia along the top of my cabinet that hides the internal lights, etc from view... Im thinking it would hide the thermoelectric unit too.. and you would never see it from the outside..

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's you humidification unit? Are there fans?

It might be possible to add cooling to the existing unit. When yours ran ok for a while then climbed, the issue was that there wasn't enough cooling so little heat accumulated over time to this larger temp.

A dumbed down idea for cooling: ice in sealed container. But depending how your setup is done, electrothermic conversion could be interesting.
I got the cabinet for a killer price. included with it was a unit that I know nothing about. however, during the non summer months, it does a great job. I don't think anything can be added on to the unit. When it warmed up, it was because I couldn't keep any part of it cool enough, even the coil in the deep freeze was not staying cold enough. I have found some wine fridges on craigslist for very reasonable prices. I may go grab a few of them and see what I can do with them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what they say but I can give you options. Depends on cost and hassle.

• Money no object. Buy a new custom cabinet with cooling option.
  • Varied cost. Cool down your house with AC or put a window one in.
  • $200-$400 Thermoelectric wine cooler 28 bottle (NEW)
  • $40-150 USED Craigslist, etc.
Those are some options.
cooling down the house would be insane expensive. Probably over $2k for 4 months. Looks like ill be hitting up craigslist for the time being. wouldn't want to destroy a new wine cooler for an experiment. If I can see some good progress with the used ones then ill probably upgrade to a new one if needed. Thanks for taking the time to give me some info. I really appreciate it.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
there was one on sale last week for hundredish Koldfront or something like that

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been planning on doing a DIY project to add a thermoelectric cooler to my cabinet this summer.... I really dont NEED the cooling capability... My house stays right at 70 all summer.. but I thought it would be a fun project..

you can build your own unit pretty cheap.. the real trick is figuring out how to install it so that you dont jack up the integrity of your cabinets sealed environment.. and how to make it look nice (I dont want to have a bunch of visible wires, displays, etc.. in there...

but in a nutshell.. all you really need a decent peltier unit (can be bought several places for anywhere from a few bucks for a little one.. to less than $20 for a really big one capable of pumping out significant cold...).. a couple of larger sized heat sinks.. a power supply.. and an controller.. slap it all together.. and youre in business..

with my house staying right at 70.. I dont think I need much of a unit to bring the cabinet down to 65-68 reliably..

you can find some pretty high performance peltiers here for reasonable prices:

https://tetech.com/peltier-thermoelectric-cooler-modules/high-performance/

video on how to build a device (minus the controller) here (this guy built a decent unit for $35):

Ive got a pretty tall fascia along the top of my cabinet that hides the internal lights, etc from view... Im thinking it would hide the thermoelectric unit too.. and you would never see it from the outside..
I have a couple places I could put it that it would not be seen. Ill look into this as well. This definitely seems like my speed. Looks fun too. Thanks man!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not to look past the obvious but have you considered storing your cigars in a cooler... coolerador...igloo..etc.? Here in Atlanta the temps can get pretty toasty and I finally went the coolerador route a few years ago...120 quart size that houses a buttload of cigars. I taped the blue ice to the lid and my RH stayed at 65% and the temp was at 70- 75.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Not to look past the obvious but have you considered storing your cigars in a cooler... coolerador...igloo..etc.? Here in Atlanta the temps can get pretty toasty and I finally went the coolerador route a few years ago...120 quart size that houses a buttload of cigars. I taped the blue ice to the lid and my RH stayed at 65% and the temp was at 70- 75.
Impressive determination to change out those ice things regularly.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's a great S/W looking cabinet! How big is the room it's in? I was thinking a window a/c could keep the room temp down where you need it w/o killing your utility bill.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am only home about 4 days a month so I need to find something that is self sustaining. I am open to any suggestions.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great S/W looking cabinet! How big is the room it's in? I was thinking a window a/c could keep the room temp down where you need it w/o killing your utility bill.
Thanks, unfortunately it is in open room. I am not for formal dining, so I converted my formal dining room into a sort of lounge/bar area.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Impressive determination to change out those ice things regularly.
Actually...I only swap them out twice a year and I start around May and again in November during the hottest part of the year here in Hotlanta. The cooler stays at the temp/RH that I posted....biggest cost so far was the blue ice blocks and the cooler itself...total price of $65. I check it once a week in the summer months and am always surprised that it's so consistent and I keep the inside of my house around 76 in the summer.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have ordered the first few components for a Peltier Cooler. Unfortunately it will have to wait until I get home in April to be assembled and tested. Man it looks like its going to be a fun build though. Can't express how happy I will be if this actually works. Looks promising! Thanks mdwest for the idea!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Actually...I only swap them out twice a year and I start around May and again in November during the hottest part of the year here in Hotlanta. The cooler stays at the temp/RH that I posted....biggest cost so far was the blue ice blocks and the cooler itself...total price of $65. I check it once a week in the summer months and am always surprised that it's so consistent and I keep the inside of my house around 76 in the summer.
So you're using the blue ice for some additional thermal stability, just letting it stay liquid?