What's new

Cant Keep It Cool Enough

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
cooling down the house would be insane expensive. Probably over $2k for 4 months.
Move to Saskatchewan! Actually, I think you'll be better off if you re-purpose that cabinet and get yourself a 150 qt Coleman with a peltier. If you're gone that amount of time, a burglar could take all your sticks from the cabinet but odds are he wont give an ice chest a second thought.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Actually...I only swap them out twice a year and I start around May and again in November during the hottest part of the year here in Hotlanta. The cooler stays at the temp/RH that I posted....biggest cost so far was the blue ice blocks and the cooler itself...total price of $65. I check it once a week in the summer months and am always surprised that it's so consistent and I keep the inside of my house around 76 in the summer.
I don't understand. How can an ice pack keep something cool for extended periods of time. Once it reaches room temperature it shouldn't have any more cool capability. Please enlighten me.

Bruce.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Subscribed to see what you come up with! Being in Mesa and having my a/c running at 79f already I'm curious about this. I have been considering a wineador but I am weak and keep spending my wineador funds on cigars and cigar leaf to roll cigars. I have converted a cooler into a humidor for my home rolls to keep separate from my two desktops until I get all my home rolls and leaf frozen to make sure I'm not spreading beetles. I never even considered just adding a peltier device to the coolerdor. Y'all are genius!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move to Saskatchewan! Actually, I think you'll be better off if you re-purpose that cabinet and get yourself a 150 qt Coleman with a peltier. If you're gone that amount of time, a burglar could take all your sticks from the cabinet but odds are he wont give an ice chest a second thought.
My home is well secured and surveiled. That coupled with an overly nosey neighbor and 2 territorial pits, I hope my home is too high of a risk for a burglar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed to see what you come up with! Being in Mesa and having my a/c running at 79f already I'm curious about this. I have been considering a wineador but I am weak and keep spending my wineador funds on cigars and cigar leaf to roll cigars. I have converted a cooler into a humidor for my home rolls to keep separate from my two desktops until I get all my home rolls and leaf frozen to make sure I'm not spreading beetles. I never even considered just adding a peltier device to the coolerdor. Y'all are genius!!
Ill keep you posted. All the research ive done says this should work well. Im excited to try even if it doesnt work out.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't understand. How can an ice pack keep something cool for extended periods of time. Once it reaches room temperature it shouldn't have any more cool capability. Please enlighten me.

Bruce.
A cooler retains a temperature for quite awhile especially with a media of KL to assist the RH..with 3 tools working in concert success is right around the corner. Suffice to say. ..it works and works well.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, im finally home and will hopefully have these all assembled by the end of the day to help keep the humi cool during the summer mo ths here in az. I will post the final process and result for anyone who might be interested.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Have you considered the freezador route? I have some friends who use manual-defrost freezers with an Electronic Temp Controller, and swear by them. The units don't have to run all that much since the desired temp is about 65* higher than they were designed for, and since they're manual defrost, there's no circulated air inside. They also have aquarium heater pads for maintaining a stable temp in the cold months as well, though I doubt that would be necessary for you in AZ.

I've thought more than once about doing a sort of double-control system, wherein you'd have a stable rH environment enclosed inside a temp-controlled environment. Like a wineador inside a fridge, or something.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Well, im finally home and will hopefully have these all assembled by the end of the day to help keep the humi cool during the summer mo ths here in az. I will post the final process and result for anyone who might be interested.

Definitely keep me posted! Im very close to doing the same thing.. just havent had enough time yet to get everything put together and figure out exactly how I want to mount it yet... but Im planning on getting everything done in the next 30 days for sure..

would love to see how you seal the cabinet back up once you get it installed.. and hear how well it keeps things cooled..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First attempt resulted in a lot of cursing, a burned out fan and a lack of cool airflow. Prototype one is down! Onto prototype 2.0 which will have a more powerful fan and multiple peltier devices.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
First attempt resulted in a lot of cursing, a burned out fan and a lack of cool airflow. Prototype one is down! Onto prototype 2.0 which will have a more powerful fan and multiple peltier devices.
You have more patience than I do....I subscribe to the KISS method for most things and if I had to use all the parts you have going I'd lose my $hit altogether. Not sure how much you've already invested...more than two blocks of blue ice I'd imagine with some duct tape to hold the blocks in place under the lid. I have a 120 quart Coleman and it works like a charm in my garage and Atlanta by reputation can bet a little toasty in the summers. Just a thought in using something you probably already have around the house.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have more patience than I do....I subscribe to the KISS method for most things and if I had to use all the parts you have going I'd lose my $hit altogether. Not sure how much you've already invested...more than two blocks of blue ice I'd imagine with some duct tape to hold the blocks in place under the lid. I have a 120 quart Coleman and it works like a charm in my garage and Atlanta by reputation can bet a little toasty in the summers. Just a thought in using something you probably already have around the house.
So far my investment on parts is under $75. I may end up using your method in the interum if i cant get this figured out in time for the summer heatwave. Thanks for info im sure ill be using it one way or another.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered the freezador route? I have some friends who use manual-defrost freezers with an Electronic Temp Controller, and swear by them. The units don't have to run all that much since the desired temp is about 65* higher than they were designed for, and since they're manual defrost, there's no circulated air inside. They also have aquarium heater pads for maintaining a stable temp in the cold months as well, though I doubt that would be necessary for you in AZ.

I've thought more than once about doing a sort of double-control system, wherein you'd have a stable rH environment enclosed inside a temp-controlled environment. Like a wineador inside a fridge, or something.
I have not considered it. But it does sound like a great idea. my problem is that i absolutely love walking by my humi and seeing all my stogies waving at me as i walk by. I love the humidor and want to have my cake and eat it too. Ugh! I suppose ill have to make that tough decision before it gets too hot. Thanks for the info!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So far my investment on parts is under $75. I may end up using your method in the interum if i cant get this figured out in time for the summer heatwave. Thanks for info im sure ill be using it one way or another.
I get that sometimes it's just as much fun to tinker around with stuff and play engineer...feels so good to master things but I've just stopped spending so much money on parts and stuff and kept things as simple as I can. I use to vacation in Scottsdale in June just because the golf experience was soooo much cheaper after June 1....TPC course in that area were less than $40 a round so I'd get there around 7 am and play 18 holes in 4 hours and get back to the hotel where I was staying and pass out on the lounge at the pool in the shade with those beer helmets...great times. The outside temps could be brutal at around 115.....f meeeeeee it was hot!!!!!!!