What's new

CA's 2016 Top 25

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a BOTL top 10 of the year list. Might be a good answer to all the dissatisfaction from CA'a list. People who wish to participate could submit their top 10 list, points get awarded to each cigar based on their position on the each list, and then near new years the top 10 scoring cigars are posted as the BOTL Top 10 Cigars of the Year recommendations - power to the people...

Of course I'm new here, maybe y'all already got something like that that I haven't seen.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
The Epicire Especiale has never done it for me. I have fallen out of love with the Belicoso shape in anything over a 48RG. Siglo 6, like all RG cigars over 50, is just too big to enjoy. But yeah, the rest are real good :)

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
The Epicire Especiale has never done it for me. I have fallen out of love with the Belicoso shape in anything over a 48RG. Siglo 6, like all RG cigars over 50, is just too big to enjoy. But yeah, the rest are real good :)
Yeah sig6 is only awesome everytime. Hipster

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Rocky Patel and EP Carillo!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This list is more of a joke every year, and the editors don't even see it :)
a rocky patel over the padron 90. what an absolute JOKE
Not that I'm defending CA at all (and also I'm sure the P90 is much better), but before you knock on the RP Sun Grown Maduro, I recommend trying it. It's actually pretty good. Again, I'm sure it's not on par with the Padron, but it's definitely not your run of the mill RP.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I emailed Gordon Mott years ago, questioning him about them only smoking one inch of a cigar for a review. He actually responded and defended his stance on one inch being enough.
The way I understand it, if a cigar is awful, they give it an inch to improve and then pitch it if it doesn't.

That seems fair to me.

Then if it's good, they smoke 1/3 to 1/2 of the cigar and rate it based on that.

While this method doesn't allow for them to properly evaluate the entire cigar, transitions, and the end (usually not the best part anyway, but sometimes maybe), it's probably an ok measure of a cigar, when the goal is to benchmark it against all the others -- provided they are smoking at least 3 of each stick and not just 1.

I'd love for these guys to do what it looks like Halfwheel does -- smoke 2-3 entire sticks.

Myself, I generally review stuff formally only when I have smoked more than one, but the review itself is usually inspired by one single, long session of being attentive to the cigar and nothing else. And since I generally refuse to review anything that I have really hated (after all, my palate might just not agree with that stick), this allows me to pitch anything I'm not enjoying, and forget all about it, because I won't review it.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
The way I understand it, if a cigar is awful, they give it an inch to improve and then pitch it if it doesn't.

That seems fair to me.

Then if it's good, they smoke 1/3 to 1/2 of the cigar and rate it based on that.
How I understood it was... All sticks get the one inch treatment, then they move on - regardless if it was good or not.

If your scenario above is the case, that is more than fair. I mean, you want the cigar to be excellent from start to finish. If after one inch it is still terrible, that's fine...pitch it. After an inch, if it still excellent, keep smoking.

I just wish I knew the actual smoking method.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Have you ever had the El Gueguense? That size, in particular, is an excellent smoke. I wouldn't have been surprised to see it crack the Top 10.

What about a Siglo VI? One of Cuba's very finest.
Sorry, was a little miffed at the Henry Clay, Alec Bradley etc. Yes, Melilo's El Gue is a good stick, I have a few in the humi. Siglo VI is great also, picked up a cab last summer. But if were putting high marks Cohibas on the list the ESPY and CoRo beat it imo.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sorry, was a little miffed at the Henry Clay, Alec Bradley etc. Yes, Melilo's El Gue is a good stick, I have a few in the humi. Siglo VI is great also, picked up a cab last summer. But if were putting high marks Cohibas on the list the ESPY and CoRo beat it imo.
They smoked the CoRo twice in 2016 and it scored 90 each time, so wasn't in the Cigar of the Year mix (have to score 91+). The Esplendido scored 92 twice in 2016 so that would have been in the contest but must not have measured up in their eyes.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
They smoked the CoRo twice in 2016 and it scored 90 each time, so wasn't in the Cigar of the Year mix (have to score 91+). The Esplendido scored 92 twice in 2016 so that would have been in the contest but must not have measured up in their eyes.
Ok, then were into a discussion about box variation. Its fine w/e.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll echo that. PLUS, he's got this stream of consciousness thing that can be pretty funny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1. Katman is the man. His deteriorating health is a bad deal. I've found that I agree with his assessments more than most other reviewers. Brian Glenn (sp?) from Cigarobsession is also pretty solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Phil's top 25 is more in tune to my likes. He has the balls to say when a $15+ stick is a piece of shit....and when a $3 smoke is worth looking at.

I respect his reviews much more then others out there...he honestly takes pride in what he writes. Plus his stories are an awesome added bonus.