What's new

Cat Litter for cheap humidity beads?

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
I was looking at an old post on CA Forums about
using clear cat litter because its basically silica and sand...

What do you guys think about that? I already spent 36 ordering
2.5lbs of silica beads but i'd like some opinions anyway...

Anyone know where to find these beads dirt cheap?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
much discussed topic. do a search, and you will come up with more info and opinions than you will ever need

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah. The litter is not so cheap anymore. They stopped mass prduction a few years ago and now there is like one guy selling the stuff. Anything on the shelves has smelly smelly stuff in it. Do a google for crystal pearls. IHMO stick with the heartfelt beads. They are the deal

Peace

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I use it in my wine-a-dor and it takes alittle TLC to get it trained for a humidor. Heartfelt would be better IMHO. If I had the money when I was setting it up, I would have gone with heartfelt

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I use it in my wine-a-dor and it takes alittle TLC to get it trained for a humidor. Heartfelt would be better IMHO. If I had the money when I was setting it up, I would have gone with heartfelt
Plus this way dave can take a whizz in the humidor on those nights he's had too much to drink

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Ron's right. Do a search. I have used this in one of my 180 quart coolers for years. They are fairly steady but not like beads that are rock solid. Depends on how much time you want to spend. Set up and leave it...go with beads.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
F**k beads, they are over priced and KL will work as good. I have 1000's of cigars protected by KL and have for years and years. $12 for 8lbs of KL or $30 of more for a pound of beads. I'm on my original 8lbs and re-use them just like beads.

As for as beads being easier again I call BS, you will see a "My beads aren't working" thread often, once "programmed" they will work just like beads. I love my cigars almost as much as my children and would never put them in harms way, KL works and works well. Save your money get some 100% silica (kl or other media) and buy a few extra cigars.

KL seems to set @ 66-67% which is fine, I prefer mine 60-62% and have be able to achieve this with ease. I get the KL set 67% and then remove 10-15% and BAM 60-62%. I add water at 60%, 1 light spray usually, 2 in the dead of winter. In my coolers every two months or more, the small cabinets a little more often, desktops I'm in everyday require more. I have left them unattended for close to 2 months with no problems or fears.

I use 5+ lbs in my coolers, desktops and small cabinet humis. The rest I use to reduce humidity in my Aristocrat in the Spring/Summer. For reducing humidity KL is 10x better/faster. 8lbs of beads=$240=/-, 8lbs of KL=$12 I'm up $228 (ok I spent that on a box or two of cigars)

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b9hJxr17Ow"]YouTube- Tidy Cats Multiple Cat litter Commercial[/ame].......there's going to be a line to your humidor...LOL:wink:

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
F**k beads, they are over priced and KL will work as good. I have 1000's of cigars protected by KL and have for years and years. $12 for 8lbs of KL or $30 of more for a pound of beads. I'm on my original 8lbs and re-use them just like beads.

As for as beads being easier again I call BS, you will see a "My beads aren't working" thread often, once "programmed" they will work just like beads. I love my cigars almost as much as my children and would never put them in harms way, KL works and works well. Save your money get some 100% silica (kl or other media) and buy a few extra cigars.

KL seems to set @ 66-67% which is fine, I prefer mine 60-62% and have be able to achieve this with ease. I get the KL set 67% and then remove 10-15% and BAM 60-62%. I add water at 60%, 1 light spray usually, 2 in the dead of winter. In my coolers every two months or more, the small cabinets a little more often, desktops I'm in everyday require more. I have left them unattended for close to 2 months with no problems or fears.

I use 5+ lbs in my coolers, desktops and small cabinet humis. The rest I use to reduce humidity in my Aristocrat in the Spring/Summer. For reducing humidity KL is 10x better/faster. 8lbs of beads=$240=/-, 8lbs of KL=$12 I'm up $228 (ok I spent that on a box or two of cigars)
I just don't get the point of spending all that money for an Aristocrat to cheap out on the humidification. Seriously congratulations on saving $228 on beads. Now you should gas up your Ferrari with regular!

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
The Aristo uses a Set N Forget and works flawlessly, Thanks. The KL works as well as beads so why waste money on over priced stuff like a Ferrari, my Chevy with 300,000 miles still runs great.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The Aristo uses a Set N Forget and works flawlessly, Thanks. The KL works as well as beads so why waste money on over priced stuff like a Ferrari, my Chevy with 300,000 miles still runs great.
***Edited by David***

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
***Edited by David***

This seems to be a debate that neither side will win. I believe it is best to agree to disagree on the beads vs KL discussion as everyone that has achieved a system that works should be happy :cool: Lord knows, my wife just had a baby a couple months ago so I haven't had a budget for beads (or anything else) so I have had to mess with the damn floral credos. RAGGEEE haha

I digress...the statement about the 300K Chevy makes sense (in a literal manner of speaking) because if you are going to save some money while spending it on KL instead of beads, why pay so much for a car:guitar: :guitar: It seems you were merely using an analogy whereas he was speaking more literally. Nothing wrong or dumb at all. It further proves the point that all of us think and see things differently.:smokingbo

Last edited by a moderator:

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I just don't get the point of spending all that money for an Aristocrat to cheap out on the humidification. Seriously congratulations on saving $228 on beads. Now you should gas up your Ferrari with regular!
There in lies the problem in your thinking. No where did anyone mention an Aristocrat. If he did, or anyone else for that matter on this board has one, then, your assumption would be correct on saving the $228. See how others are storing there smokes

[ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=22822"]How do you store your smokes? (Poll) - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame]

The OP has been given both sides to his question. Neither, is incorrect, as both work. Anyone is capable after due diligence to make an informed choice for themselves.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I love talkin about cigar beads. Cigar beads were first introduced to cigar smokers by Roy Seeman of the Climmax company. Roy used the same beads that were used by the museum industry to store artwork. Neither the museums or Roy used "kitty litter" grade silica gel. The museums use a grade of silica that performs best for absorbing and releasing humidity at about 60-80% humidity. Besides the grade of silica, there was a choice of salt impregnated beads. The salted beads would lock onto a set humidity level, the "unsalted" beads have to be conditioned. Roy used a bead that had the right salt to give us a 70% bead.

Roy sold Climmax to Vern. Climmax soon went out of business. Now we have Dave from Heartfelt selling us the same exact beads as the original Climmax beads, which is good.

unfortunately, these days there are other companies out there repackaging kitty litter, and labeling them as cigar beads. This crap is not anything close to the original Climmax beads, and its not even the original non salted beads that the museums would condition.

Its too easy these days to put up a website, and proclaim yourself as having a good cigar humidification product.

and just in case anybody thinks i am talking out my ass, my info comes from the person who is regarded as the leading expert in the world on using silica gel products for storing artwork, cigars, or any other product that needs precise humidification control.