What's new

Cat Litter for cheap humidity beads?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
My apologies to all, I got carried away. I will refrain from posting on Beads vs KL threads like I avoid political discussions. We all have opinions and sometimes it's best to agree to disagree. I do have a pound or so of the Vern Climmax beads in the bottom of a cooler, I should put thme in a desktop to see how they work. I bought them in 03 and kept them in pantyhose, my guess is they will still work.

Use what you like, smoke what you like and as always if you get a chance to visit Mid-MO smokes, drinks and dinner are on me. Golf and fishing if the weather permits can also be arranged.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Verns might not work so well. I was told that he was mixing different grades of beads to cut costs.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
as always if you get a chance to visit Mid-MO smokes, drinks and dinner are on me. Golf and fishing if the weather permits can also be arranged.

you can not beat a deal like that! That is some true brotherhood there.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I tried the litter in my humis and fought with it for about 4 weeks before giving up. I kept a thread on another site of my daily 'progress'. Up, down, up, down, down, down, up...

I even emailed the company that made the kitty litter and had a dialog with a lab tech about how it worked and whether or not it would work for cigars. In short, the kitty litter needs to be conditioned/calibrated in order to work properly - and it was more work than I was willing to put into them.

I know others have said they use them with great success, but they did not work for me.

aquarich

BoM March '11
Rating - 100%
205   0   0
I, too have learned something. That CF2112 is one generous and passionate BOTLer. I'll bring the Diplomatico!! :stretchgr

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
There in lies the problem in your thinking. No where did anyone mention an Aristocrat. If he did, or anyone else for that matter on this board has one, then, your assumption would be correct on saving the $228. See how others are storing there smokes

How do you store your smokes? (Poll) - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf

The OP has been given both sides to his question. Neither, is incorrect, as both work. Anyone is capable after due diligence to make an informed choice for themselves.
He actually does mention his Aristocrat in the last sentence of his first post.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I was looking at an old post on CA Forums about
using clear cat litter because its basically silica and sand...

What do you guys think about that? I already spent 36 ordering
2.5lbs of silica beads but i'd like some opinions anyway...

Anyone know where to find these beads dirt cheap?

He actually does mention his Aristocrat in the last sentence of his first post.
Ok, I was talking about the OP (original poster) not someone further down. I see who you are talking about. I was trying to give my insight into the question asked. Not personally attacking someone whether they used beads/pearl beads, etc.

to Whoodeni, I use both.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
F**k beads, they are over priced and KL will work as good. I have 1000's of cigars protected by KL and have for years and years. $12 for 8lbs of KL or $30 of more for a pound of beads. I'm on my original 8lbs and re-use them just like beads.

As for as beads being easier again I call BS, you will see a "My beads aren't working" thread often, once "programmed" they will work just like beads. I love my cigars almost as much as my children and would never put them in harms way, KL works and works well. Save your money get some 100% silica (kl or other media) and buy a few extra cigars.

KL seems to set @ 66-67% which is fine, I prefer mine 60-62% and have be able to achieve this with ease. I get the KL set 67% and then remove 10-15% and BAM 60-62%. I add water at 60%, 1 light spray usually, 2 in the dead of winter. In my coolers every two months or more, the small cabinets a little more often, desktops I'm in everyday require more. I have left them unattended for close to 2 months with no problems or fears.

I use 5+ lbs in my coolers, desktops and small cabinet humis. The rest I use to reduce humidity in my Aristocrat in the Spring/Summer. For reducing humidity KL is 10x better/faster. 8lbs of beads=$240=/-, 8lbs of KL=$12 I'm up $228 (ok I spent that on a box or two of cigars)
What brand do you use? (Serious) I need something readily available in a grocery store. I was going to try these before I buy a dehumidifier for the spring/summer.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Just bought these:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000HHLWE4/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A29OHLD2C81PWO&v=glance"]Amazon.com: Crystal Clear Litter Pearls: National Pet Pharmacy[/ame]

Says it is scent free. I'll give them a whirl.

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I have the ones from Petco. It's their house brand, 100% silica and non-scented. I think they are $19 for 8lbs. They seem to be working well so far.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I use the Exquisicat brand from Petsmart. They work great.

The kitty beads are not specificly formulated for 60,65, or 70% humididty. I use them, but they took some work to get them solid. This may be the issue with your new humidor.

awhitaker

HoosierOTL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kitty litter and have used it since 2005 and it works for me. You do have to condition them which is fairly easy if I remember correctly. I will agree that they are not like Heartfelt in that you set it and forget it but they do a good job of keeping the humidity in my vinotemp in a suitable range. For those who require exact standards I would suggest Heartfelt. For those who loved Mr. Wizard and doing science experiments, get some kitty litter and have fun.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
I use the Exquisicat and love em. I've been using them for almost a year and my humi is rock solid at 68%. At the beginning I had to wet them a bit after they acclimated to my wineador but after that I barely touch them and never worry about RH. Give em a try, the worst that can happen is you will be out $20. You might get lucky like some and they will work great.