What's new

Cello: Yea or Nea?

Cello: Yea or Nea

• Total voters
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Straight from Cigaraficionado.com

Q. Many cigars are sold in individual cellophane overwraps. Should I remove the cellophane prior to placing the cigars in my humidor? What about tubes and bands? Are cigars best stored "naked"?

A. Cellophane serves several purposes on a cigar -- in states that require each cigar to have a warning label, it makes this notification much easier to accomplish, and it prevents damage to the cigars from excessive handling in cigar shops. But once you've bought the cigar and are placing it in your humidor, we recommend you remove the cellophane. Cellophane will prevent humidity from reaching the cigar, and you'll find the cigars will respond to humidification better if the overwrap has been removed. The same holds true for cigar tubes, whether glass or aluminum; these tubes will completely close off a cigar to humidification if left on. However, if you intend to transport your cigars \(such as in a coat pocket\), it may be a good idea to keep a few tubes or cellophane overwraps handy to protect the cigars during transport.

As far as bands are concerned, it's a matter of personal preference. Some people like to remove them, but when possible, we generally choose to keep the bands on \(outside of our tasting procedures, of course\). First, it makes identifying the cigars much easier, and it also prevents inadvertent damage to the cigar's wrapper that can occur while removing the band.

Oh yeah, and die die die die thread die.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Straight from Cigaraficionado.com

Q. Many cigars are sold in individual cellophane overwraps. Should I remove the cellophane prior to placing the cigars in my humidor? What about tubes and bands? Are cigars best stored "naked"?

A. Cellophane serves several purposes on a cigar -- in states that require each cigar to have a warning label, it makes this notification much easier to accomplish, and it prevents damage to the cigars from excessive handling in cigar shops. But once you've bought the cigar and are placing it in your humidor, we recommend you remove the cellophane. Cellophane will prevent humidity from reaching the cigar, and you'll find the cigars will respond to humidification better if the overwrap has been removed. The same holds true for cigar tubes, whether glass or aluminum; these tubes will completely close off a cigar to humidification if left on. However, if you intend to transport your cigars (such as in a coat pocket), it may be a good idea to keep a few tubes or cellophane overwraps handy to protect the cigars during transport.

As far as bands are concerned, it's a matter of personal preference. Some people like to remove them, but when possible, we generally choose to keep the bands on (outside of our tasting procedures, of course). First, it makes identifying the cigars much easier, and it also prevents inadvertent damage to the cigar's wrapper that can occur while removing the band.

Oh yeah, and die die die die thread die.

And this is why I listen to the guys here and avoid CA like the plague. Since when are cellos and tuboos airtight.

Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
I would consider them to be airtight enough to hinder humidification. But don't get me wring I'm always up for new ideas. I just got a box of CAO Brizillias the other day, I'll see how keeping the cello on those works out. They're still way to fresh to smoke.

WalterLars

Walter Lars
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to remove the cello immediately but now I leave it on to protect the wrapper. Also, I live in a very dry climate and sometimes the wrappers dry out very quickly if I don't smoke them immediately after removing from the humidor. The cello seems to keep them stable until I smoke them.
yea what He said
In So Calif our Humitiy is pretty below 40 percent most of the time
so leaveing in wrappers slows down the drying out

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Wow, I can't believe cA would publish that garbage.

And keep cello around to transport my cigars in? Are you kidding me? You can't afford a cheap cigar case of some kind? Serious?

cA is garbage.

Oh, and I never posted in this thread, so I can bump it haha.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I've had people tell me different things, that the cell is porous enough that air and humidity gets in, that it doesn't, , that it keeps the wrap from splitting, who knows for sure. I think it depends on a personal preference.

Experiment with two like cigars. Take the cell off one and leave it on the other. Let them lay the same amount of time and see if you can tell the difference when you smoke them.

I've noticed a difference in some, some no difference. Make sure you note it in your log and do the same the next time. This is what makes cigar smoking an experience and a labor of love. Sorry for sounding mushy.:smokingbo

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I've had people tell me different things, that the cell is porous enough that air and humidity gets in, that it doesn't, , that it keeps the wrap from splitting, who knows for sure. I think it depends on a personal preference.

Experiment with two like cigars. Take the cell off one and leave it on the other. Let them lay the same amount of time and see if you can tell the difference when you smoke them.

I've noticed a difference in some, some no difference. Make sure you note it in your log and do the same the next time. This is what makes cigar smoking an experience and a labor of love. Sorry for sounding mushy.:smokingbo
I like that plan, thats what i do with most the ones i buy to age a bit, ill buy at least 2 or 4, even numbers i try to at least, and if they are celloed, i open half, to see what it does. my oldest cigar is not that old though, so i don't have much input here really

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cello doesn't grow on trees , keep it natural ,put it in the humi and let them absorb the goodness that mother earth Ha's provided us with

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Hey! Lets start a new thread. What came first, the chicken or the egg? The answer is WHATEVER YOU WANT IT TO BE.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I just want to say this is the best thread on the BOTL I think I'll bump this every time a new brother joins so he can cast his vote as well. :grinFU: