What's new

Change! Long Island, NY Herf at Havana Dreams , Saturday, March 3, 2007

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Hey Guys

An update on my end

I was let go by Maxwell and Dunn'es on Saturday 20. Even though during my brief tenure there I had increased year to date and wine and cigar sales by 130% and 170% respectively, I was told that business is slow and I was laid off. Needless to say I am looking for a new job.

I will not be attending the HERF this weekend but I am hoping to be able to get to the one that is near West Point next month. SLevy007 stopped in this past Saturday and he and I were actually burning one when the axed dropped - talked about FU**ED up!

Sorry to miss you guys, especially when it is in my own backyard, but I think it would be too damn awkward to go there so soon. I am sure I will go back but it probably won't be for awhile.

Thanks to all of you for the support and kind words you had for me while I was there. And, talk about ironic - Maxwell and Dunne's finally made Cigar Aficianado magazine (picture on the second to last page) and then they boot me. They also dropped the magazine subscription in the lounge. Go figure

I am sure we'll talk soon

Thanks,

Ben
How about driving out to the Jersey herf at Azucar? You are more than welcome!

Thats bum news though, seems like people are being laid off left and right on this board lately. Still glad to have you around either way.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the invite and kind words. I was the 14th person that M&D let go within a 3 week period.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Sorry to hear that Ben! I'm sure with your hard work there, someone else will need an expert like yourself.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I am so sorry to hear about this Ben. You have done wonders with the place. Just when MD was looking good and getting great Public Relations.

Scott...shoot a pm EARLY prior to the barbecue and comida so I can request for it from the bosses (supervisor at work).

Oh yeah Scott, Geoff always behaves well especially if it means getting his comida ration!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very interested in the herf. This would be my first one can anyone tell me a little about what to expect, what to wear, and any other important information? Thank you, Bob

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott does a great job at putting this together. Lots of goodies and the raffle is top notch. Don't miss out on this:thumbsup:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since Churchills Cigar Lounge will not allow us to herf there with the free goodie bags and raffle giveaways, we are forced to move the herf to:

Saturday March 3, 2007 @ 1:00pm

Havana Dreams
63-10 Woodhaven Blvd.
Rego Park, NY 11374

1-718-685-0078

Same day same time - I need a new confirmation from everyone if you are going please.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feb. 21, 2007

Well, you just KNOW I had to chime in on this one now !!

It does not surprise me in the least that they canceled on you. Even though the event is only two weeks away, hey I was let go on a Saturday night at 7pm after having been working that day since 3pm - go figure. They did not feel comfortable with you guys going to the suppliers(s) asking for free stuff I assume. That is not the most important point here though. What they just did is totally alienate an entire group of loyal cigar smokers (their target audience) plus, all others who read the threads but don't attend HERF's per se. As someone mentioned, you guys not only give out "free stuff" but purchase cigars from the humidor (although the selection is WAY down since I left), you also buy food, drinks, etc. The last HERF you had their back in July 2006 generated $3000 for them on a Saturday afternoon! $3000 on a hot Saturday July afternoon is a grand slam home run for that place. They are dead as a doornail on the weekend days so this is simply found money. My guess is that given the size of the group you would be generating the same if not more revenue this time around.

When I left in mid January they had three humidors. One was totally shut down and empty. The remaining two were about 30-35% full. I have not been there since so I have no idea what the inventory looks like. They were selling about 45-50 different SKUs when I started and were down to maybe a dozen when I left.

I suggest you take the not only the HERF but your business somewhere else. The only other place that I know in the area (Massapequa) that can accommodate a group of this size is Margiotta's Cigars in Massapequa. The owner (Joe?) just called me on Monday - talk about irony. Here is their link - http://www.licigars.com/. They have a back room that can hold 30-40 people plus a very small front area that seats 5 people or so. A very nice selection of cigars and accessories as well. They do not serve food per se but their is a pizzeria and deli across the street. Plenty of parking and a very nice place to hang out. Nice big chairs, sofas, big screen televisions, etc. plus beer! Give them a call and see what they say. The other place is Stogies and Tales in Farmingdale. Here is their link http://www.stogiesandtails.com/ - but 30 people would be a bit tight. I would call to confirm for both places. Please be sure that you mention my name at both. If you need me to reach out to them just let me know and I will call them today.

As for Maxwell and Dunne's, their actions speak for themselves. They are very shortsighted in their business acumen plus they simply are not marketers. They had one but they got rid of me. So let them do what they think is best for their place. They had an opportunity to have 30-40 true cigar lovers in their place on a cold Saturday afternoon, make several thousand dollars and keep their customer's happy. But why do that?

Let me know how this turns out 'cause now that it is NOT going to be at Maxwell's I will definitely be attending.

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havana Dreams is a great place... Nice people, friendly staff, fantastic outdoors area in back that's heated & covered... If anyone here hasn't been there yet, I recommend going.

(Unfortunately I can't get there on Saturday, but I work five minutes away- the Queens Courthouse is on Queens Blvd. We go there every other month or so during lunch... There's a judge friend of ours who's a regular there.)

Anyway, my point is, friends, GO to this Herf!