What's new

Cheapies ugh!

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I will say i do like the diesel UC's and a lot of the JDN line. But I've tried smoking some of the stuff i started on and i find most of them terrible. But I'm finding there's a big difference in cheaply made and cheapy priced

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
what did you start on? I started on 2nd's, Alternatives, etc..

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
There are tons excellent of affordable (under $5) cigars out there. My favorite is the Illusione Rothchildes which can be found for under $4. The Tat Havana Angeles are another nice one for under $5.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not for me. I like the primo stuff, and I never have an issue smokeing an affordable Padron X000, a tatuaje havana or a 858 maduro. Sometimes I actually prefer it, they are always consistent and aout 1/3 of the price of the htf stuff. Granted, I never smoked the super cheapies regularly.

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I will say i do like the diesel UC's and a lot of the JDN line. But I've tried smoking some of the stuff i started on and i find most of them terrible. But I'm finding there's a big difference in cheaply made and cheapy priced

Actually the very first 2 "real" cigars i had were a san cristobal classico and a Carlos torano master. But at the point i didn't knew what they were. When i started getting into cigars more i first purchased gurkas and pdr's, seconds, and victor sinclaires. Not a fan anymore. Just can't stand them. But at the same time i completely respect the fact that everyones taste is different and many people enjoy them. Just not my taste

Rating - 100%
31   0   0

Actually the very first 2 "real" cigars i had were a san cristobal classico and a Carlos torano master. But at the point i didn't knew what they were. When i started getting into cigars more i first purchased gurkas and pdr's, seconds, and victor sinclaires. Not a fan anymore. Just can't stand them. But at the same time i completely respect the fact that everyones taste is different and many people enjoy them. Just not my taste

LOL!! When I started I thought Victor Sinclair were premiums!!! LOLOLOL. Never had PDR's and totally passed by Gurka's. I started smoking cigars in 1983 when I was 16. A friend came home from college and said that they bite the ends off of the "good" cigars. The first cigar I had was an Optimo I bit the end off of!! Had my first "handrolled" cigar in 1991 and it was a Macanudo I believe. I bit the cap off then too. By 1995 Hoyo and Partagas were the "super premiums" to me but I was smoking JR Alternatives.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Have to agree with ninja buddy, once I stopped the devil site and started buying what I enjoy, a boat load of cigars have been bombed away not necessarily because they were cheap but I didn't like em. Also quite a few been sent to troops!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One mans garbage is another mans treasure...we've heard it many times and it's true in just about everything in life. What I might call a "cheapie" or "dog rocket" might be somebodys favorite and I learned a long time ago that when it comes to cigars a lot of us can be very snobby...esp. when it comes to cigars that are over $10. Cigar Manufacturers know this so they price accordingly to that market of consumers who equate "good" with more expensive which drives sales because some of us don't want to be left out when discussing those expensive cigars. Bands around the cigars...popularity of marketing/advertising can make a huge difference in the acceptance of certain products and Manufacturers capitalize on this strategy...they have trained consumers well. I admit to buying expensive cigars but only because I like the taste and there are a lot of "cheaper" cigars that I like as well but I don't go around trying to sway those who have already formed an opinion...even when they haven't even tried it. I like giving out cigars that don't have a band on it and then ask for their opinion where I'll put my own cigar band on it....Sample A or B etc. and then wait for the reviews to come in. There have been tons of reviews on expensive cigars where the review was not what everybody says they are and with cheaper cigars there have been reviews of how great it was. When I let them know that it was a cheap cigar I've had BOTL adopt a real attitude and didn't accept their own reviews afterward of what they just smoked.:eyebrow:

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
One mans garbage is another mans treasure...we've heard it many times and it's true in just about everything in life. What I might call a "cheapie" or "dog rocket" might be somebodys favorite and I learned a long time ago that when it comes to cigars a lot of us can be very snobby...esp. when it comes to cigars that are over $10. Cigar Manufacturers know this so they price accordingly to that market of consumers who equate "good" with more expensive which drives sales because some of us don't want to be left out when discussing those expensive cigars. Bands around the cigars...popularity of marketing/advertising can make a huge difference in the acceptance of certain products and Manufacturers capitalize on this strategy...they have trained consumers well. I admit to buying expensive cigars but only because I like the taste and there are a lot of "cheaper" cigars that I like as well but I don't go around trying to sway those who have already formed an opinion...even when they haven't even tried it. I like giving out cigars that don't have a band on it and then ask for their opinion where I'll put my own cigar band on it....Sample A or B etc. and then wait for the reviews to come in. There have been tons of reviews on expensive cigars where the review was not what everybody says they are and with cheaper cigars there have been reviews of how great it was. When I let them know that it was a cheap cigar I've had BOTL adopt a real attitude and didn't accept their own reviews afterward of what they just smoked.:eyebrow:
Absolutely right!

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
My tastes changed also so I started bombing troops more often or traded/gifted them away, not necessarily cheapies, and the devil site sucked me in on buyin a lot cause it was such a " great deal"

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my experience (about 3 years or so), it seems that price is helpful but not final to gauge quality. I love Padron x000 series for a quite cheap and excellent smoke. They are even better with humi rest. On "the site" I used to buy all kinds of stuff and frankly, most of them were worth smoking. Just bought a Davidoff to celebrate my daughters birth but you never know, it might pale in comparison to a $5 la aroma robusto or $4 Padron x000. Buy what you like, let them rest, and enjoy.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
And if you take some of the cello off, and stick em in a humi for a couple months, a "cheap" smoke can transform to a fairly nice smooth smoke. So price doesn't always mean a lot. but then again, I am a cheap date

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on where you set that "cheapy" price. You can find some very decent cigars in the $3 to $5 range if you do some shopping and sampling. I prefer the $5 to $10 range, but still keep a small selection of lower cost cigars around the house to share with cigar enjoying friends who seem to have zero taste buds.

I do admit the days of King Edwards and Swisher Sweets disappeared a long time ago, but I did smoke one of each recently. They are just as bad as I remember.
The Occidental Reserve Double Broadleaf is one cigar that hits in my "cheapy" price area of $3 to $4, and has a very pleasant taste.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
There are some great "cheapies" on Cigar monster occasionally. For example I picked up a 5er of Corona Viva LP Undercrownes on there for 22.98 shipped. That is a very good smoke for that price.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
love the monster.
had a Gran Habano Vintage 2002 I picked up from CI store in Bethlehem 2 days ago and enjoyed it with a large cup of columbian roast coffee at 12:00 noon. For a "cheapie" smoke it didn't smoke or taste like a cheapie.

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I guess to me a cheapie its the line of 3 dollars or less. There's smokes i enjoy for the 3-5 dollar range on cbid. My normal smokes are 5-10. Anything over that i consider a special occasion. Which I'm finding i have a lot of. I need done more cheaper stuff. But I'm definitely not going back to backwoods and Garcia y vegas!

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Garcia y Vegas!! tried to smoke one a few years ago to see what I would think about them after smoking hand rolled for 15 years. Lit it up, took a puff, put it out very quickly! LOL

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Garcia y Vegas!! tried to smoke one a few years ago to see what I would think about them after smoking hand rolled for 15 years. Lit it up, took a puff, put it out very quickly! LOL
That doesn't surprise me! I used to smoke 3 packs or backwoods every week. Sometimes more. Along with 3-5 packs of cigarettes and what ever other "cigars" i bought. I tried smoking a backwoods a few months ago. I put that out pretty quickly too. Hard to believe i used to love those things.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
What's worse is blindly buying stuff as newb. And as you learn more and more. You end up just throwing away the junk you previously purchased.