What's new

Cherry Or Black Walnut

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Guys, I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to do the new armoire in Cherry or Black Walnut. I'd really like to do Birdseye Maple or Curly Maple, but finding enough highly figured wood is next to impossible unless your name is Bob Stabel. So, with that in mind, what are your thoughts?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Like the wood you use....Use the wood you like....

Ok I'm sure that wasn't helpful. I like wood that is wood collored (brown). Unless you have a decor currently that will match the red tones of the cherry wood I would go with walnut. Also Cherry wood is everywhere, walnut might be a little more unique. my .02

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Whatever wood matches the other wood items where the armoire would be my thoughts. OR whatever is less costly matters to me also. Sounds like either choice would be good. :thumbsup:

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
The Mrs. wants Cherry as well, but I really like Black Walnut, unless I can find some really nice lumber in Cherry with good grain and color.

No Sascha, I'm going to use 4/4 for all rails & stiles and face frames, then use 1/4 plywood for the panels, something about this project is taking me away from raised panels, unless again, I can find some spectacular Birdseye or Curly, then I'll rethink everything and bookmatch. I originally wanted to do Quartersawn White Oak in Arts & Crafts style, but then I opted out and switched for a more prestigious kind of wood.

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
The Mrs. wants Cherry as well, but I really like Black Walnut, unless I can find some really nice lumber in Cherry with good grain and color.

No Sascha, I'm going to use 4/4 for all rails & stiles and face frames, then use 1/4 plywood for the panels, something about this project is taking me away from raised panels, unless again, I can find some spectacular Birdseye or Curly, then I'll rethink everything and bookmatch. I originally wanted to do Quartersawn White Oak in Arts & Crafts style, but then I opted out and switched for a more prestigious kind of wood.
was that english? :)

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
OK, nothing to speak of for Cherry, it was nice, but not outstanding. The Black Walnut was even worse, however...did I find some exceptional Mahogany boards! I picked out four very well matched boards and have decided that we're going with Mahogany! Easy to work with, no need for stain, easy grain to fill....ohhh, I can't wait till tomorrow to go pick it up!

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Good to hear, i dont really like raised panels that much either. That's why I am thinking everything solid wood, or veneer over mdf, rails and styles only for the doors but with glas