What's new

Cherry Or Black Walnut

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i just read your post about mahogany, love it.
just make sure its honduran , not african unless you do a test panel, african has been warping like a mothaf&@$" on me and some others, dont know why, though i love it, ill only do honduran mahogany from now on.

I love it natural, but one way to darken it is a wash coat with potassium dichromate(yes its a little poisenous) but it reacts with the wood and darkens it, yet shows all thw grain.

Whats the plan for the finish??

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I am not certain of the intended use of the amoire from the posts in this thread. Mahogany is used in lieu of Spanish cedar for high quality humidors. If a humidor is part of the equation, then consider mahogany. . .If not, then disregard this post. . .:glassesgr

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Got Wood? I do! Just got back from the lumber store and picked up my Mahagony. You can see by the grain how the two boards on the right were consecutive slices from the same log, I know the pics really don't show the actual depth of the grain, but man, this is some good lookin' wood! Never mind the wifes bike in the background, it'll be gone once sawdust starts flyin'!

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Right now I'm thinking about filling the grain and then just using 8-10 coats of tung oil.
good plan, my favorite finish.
I use General finishes Seal-a-cell as a seal coat and I wetsand with it to fill the grain, then I use Arm-r-seal as a top coat.
just watch on the inside of the humi, I know you won't finish the spanish cedar with anything, but even if you finish the inside of the mahogany it'll stink up the humi for weeks.
you are getting me inspired to get going:stretchgr

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
it's 2007. you can ride a bike with lilac flames and not have to tell everyone that your just out gassing up the "wife's bike". it's ok. we're all friends here. hahaha

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Damn Wade, I saw the GB bike in a previous thread, but I didn't realize it was yours. I just thought you were taking pics with someone eles bike.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Damn Wade, I saw the GB bike in a previous thread, but I didn't realize it was yours. I just thought you were taking pics with someone eles bike.
Nope, that's my baby! And that's Arlen Ness, motorcycle builder Legend/God sitting on it in Sturgis this past August! I just got that pic back in the mail on Monday autographed from him, pretty cool if you're into that kind of thing.