What's new

Chili Recipes

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I don't remember the recipe, but my buddy and I won a cook off once with Texadilly Chili! Armadillo chili...don't knock it 'til ya tried it. The next year we made rabbit chili and got 3rd place...

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I'm going to fire up a big pot of green chile stew this weekend. This is my "guideline"

Green Chile Stew

Recipe can be halved. I don’t cook by recipe, so this is a best guess. Makes a large crock pot full.

2+ lbs HOT green chiles
6 fresh jalapeno chiles
2 lbs meat of choice
6 large tomatoes
1 large sweet onion
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp ground cumin seed
2 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp dried red chile
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp ± Habenero sauce
1 small can tomato sauce (10 oz?)
3 tbsp vegetable oil
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups ± water

• Roast, peel, clean and finely chop green chiles. Leave some seeds for heat.
• Finely chop jalapenos. Also leave some seeds in for heat boost.
• Finely chop onion.
• Brown meat in 2-3 tbsp oil on stove. I prefer using 1 lb of pork cubed in small pieces and 1 lb of coarsely ground buffalo, pork or beef.
• Dice tomatoes, retaining as much juice as possible. I won’t hesitate to add a small can of tomato sauce as well, but best for the cook to decide.
• Heat chicken broth in a large sauce pan and whisk in flour until consistent. Stir in all spices until more or less dissolved. This is also a good time to bump the heat factor with a good wallop of Habenero sauce. I like Melinda’s.
• Add chiles, jalapeno, onion, tomato and meat to a large crock pot, stir moderately and start it heating.
• Add broth mixture by slowly adding while turning over veggies and meat.
• Add water if desired. Water can be added later to thin if necessary, even after cooking is complete. I recommend adding additional water halfway through cooking as the stew will thicken.
• Cover and cook around 4-5 hours over low heat. I strongly suggest stirring once every hour, scraping the sides and bottom of crock, to avoid sticking and burning.

It isn’t always easy to find the good hot green chiles. If spicier green chile is desired, adjust the heat:

• Seeds, placenta and skin contain the most capsaicin in a chile pepper, so more or less chile and jalapeno seeds will modify the heat.
• Use other products you like to bump up the heat, like the Habenero sauce, additional cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or for the bold …

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Not to hijack, Moglman, but your recipe reminded me of this great joke. . .:hysterica

---------------------
The notes are from an inexperienced Chili taster named Frank, who was visiting Texas from
the East Coast:

Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The Judge #3 called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for directions to the Budweiser truck, when the call came in. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted".

Here are the scorecards from the event:

Chili # 1 Mike's Maniac Mobster Monster Chili

Judge # 1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
Judge # 2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
Judge # 3 -- (Frank) Holy shit, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint
from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one.
These Texans are crazy.

Chili # 2 Arthur's Afterburner Chili

Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang.
Judge # 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste
besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich
maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

Chili # 3 Fred's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili

Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick. Needs more beans.
Judge # 2 -- A bean less chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers.
Judge # 3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been
snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite.
Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm
getting shit-faced from all of the beer.

Chili # 4 Bubba's Black Magic

Judge # 1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.
Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods,
not much of a chili.
Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it
possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh
refills. That 300-lb. bitch is starting to look HOT . . . just like this nuclear waste I'm
eating! Is chili an Aphrodisiac?

Chili # 5 Linda's Legal Lip Remover

Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable
kick. Very impressive.
Judge # 2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne
peppers make a strong statement.
Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer
focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant
seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved
my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm
burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop
screaming. Screw those rednecks!

Chili # 6 Vera's Very Vegetarian Variety

Judge # 1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and
peppers.
Judge # 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb.
Judge #3-- I shit myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair.
No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that slut Sally. She must be kinkier
than I thought. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone.

Chili # 7 Susan's Screaming Sensation Chili

Judge # 1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.
Judge # 2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the
last moment. I should take note that I am worried about Judge #3. He appears to be in
a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a
thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water.
My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are
full of lava like shit to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they'll know what
killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful. Screw it; I'm not getting
any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my
stomach.

Chili # 8 Tommy's Toe-Nail Curling Chili

Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy
enough to declare its existence.
Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to
see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 passed out, fell over and pulled the chili
pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor dude, wonder
how he'd have reacted to really hot chili?

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Moglman, your recipe sounds great! Lots o'chiles.

One question, what's the difference between hot green chiles and jalepeno? Or, more to the point, what exactly is a hot green chile?

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Moglman, your recipe sounds great! Lots o'chiles.

One question, what's the difference between hot green chiles and jalepeno? Or, more to the point, what exactly is a hot green chile?
Green chile can be made from many varieties of chiles. Anaheim varieties are the most common. Jalepenos are warmish and tasty, but very different flavor. Serrano's work pretty well. Varieties like Anaheims can be grown hot, mild or in between. There are excellent varieties (NuMex, BigJim,...) grown around Hatch, NM which are the standard for chiles. Green versions are often the unripe stage of red chiles.

This is the time of year to get your chiles. These can be ordered over the internet, but check you local farmers market for fresh roasted! Yum!

http://www.g6csy.net/chile/database.html

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Green chile can be made from many varieties of chiles. Anaheim varieties are the most common. Jalepenos are warmish and tasty, but very different flavor. Serrano's work pretty well. Varieties like Anaheims can be grown hot, mild or in between. There are excellent varieties (NuMex, BigJim,...) grown around Hatch, NM which are the standard for chiles. Green versions are often the unripe stage of red chiles.

This is the time of year to get your chiles. These can be ordered over the internet, but check you local farmers market for fresh roasted! Yum!

Thanks bud :thumbsup:

Our local grocery store has plenty of serrano, Anaheim, jalepeno and habenero. So it looks like I'll be making "green chile stew" this weekend.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0

Our local grocery store has plenty of serrano, Anaheim, jalepeno and habenero. So it looks like I'll be making "green chile stew" this weekend.
For anyone who has not done it before, read up on roasting peppers. It's easy to do on the grill, but the trick is to roast them until the skin turns black and put the hot peppers in a good, airtight freezer bag or container and let the steam still coming from the peppers loosen the skins.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0

As stated above, I'm not good at following recipes. I cook by eye and feel. However I just finished a batch of Green Chile Stew (slow cooking now) and tried to validate the recipe above. I stuck to it with these exceptions and it looks like it'll come out great.

• I used 1 lb of cubed pork and 1 lb of cubed beef (no coursely ground this time)
• The tomatos were huge and ran out of room by the time I used only 4
• I did add the sm 8 oz can of tomato sauce
• I threw in a small bit of Megadeath sauce instead of Melindas. Sometimes a small amount of this is too much.
• It's pretty thick so thinning will be necessary. I put in at least a cup of water to thin from the start and will add more as necessary.

If you like a runnier green chile, just cook it in two batches, halving the ingredients and bump up the water.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have tried to make a batch of this every year for about the last 20 years. It was originally in Texas Monthly submitted by Stevie Ray Vaugn's drummer, Chris "Whip" Layton.

Two-tone Chili
Serves 12 - 15
2 bottles dark beer (Dos Equis) or
2 cans (15 ounces each) chicken stock
Juice of 4 limes
6 tablespoons Pickapeppa steak sauce
3 pounds venison stew meat
5 slices bacon
1 large white onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 pound ground pork sausage
1 tablespoon ground fennel seed
2 dried ancho chiles, seeded and finely chopped
1 can (6 ounces) chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
(available at Mexican groceries), chopped (reserve sauce)
1 tablespoon apple-cider vinegar
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Combine 1 bottle beer or 1 can stock, lime juice, and 4
tablespoons Pickapeppa sauce, and pour over venison. Marinate
2 to 4 hours.
In very large skillet, fry bacon until fat is rendered. Remove
bacon, and reserve. Sauté onion and garlic in bacon fat until
tender. Drain marinade completely from venison, and discard.
Add venison to onion and bacon fat. Brown lightly. Add chili
powder and basil. Cook a few minutes longer.
In another skillet, brown sausage lightly. Add fennel, ancho
and chipotle chiles, and 1 tablespoon reserved adobo sauce.
Cook until sausage is done. Add pork mixture to venison. Add
vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Chop bacon coarsely. Add to
meat. Simmer until venison is fully cooked, about 20 to 30
minutes. Add 2 tablespoons Pickapeppa and remaining beer or
stock for desired consistency.
Note: This is a spicy chili; chipotles may be reduced by half.
For extra-hot chili, add ground or freshly chopped cayenne or
Thai pepper, to taste.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I grew up 40 miles from Hatch in Deming and my Dad and his brother both grew chile commercially. If you can't get the fresh peppers try the Bueno brand of frozen green chile, if you can get it.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Yeah, mines a bit warm too. I love it!!! After all, each bite only hurts twice.

Nice recipe Terrasco. Chris Layton was off the wall almost 20 years ago when I met him in Boulder. I can't wait to try it.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
A few adaptations to Moglman's 'Green Chile Stew' recipe:

Masa Flour (in place of the suggested flour addition)---4 tbsp
Garlic---4 cloves pressed

This was a great, great recipe. It realy is a 'stew'.

Ingredients to try later:

Lime
Celery
Cilantro
Bourbon
Beer

Not necessarily all of the above, but I think this wonderful recipe might be missing something.