What's new

Cigar Aficionado Top 25

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Maybe its just me, but I struggle to take the CA list seriously. Consistently appears to be a ranking of their highest advertisers - or a gross diversion from my tastes and the tastes of many I talk to.

With that said, I've had the Timeless and Cojonu, and while they are good cigars, I don't think they'd be anywhere near my Top 10 of the year.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I think most people here struggle to take it seriously.

I know that every year it is going to be different than my personal list, but then again, my personal list is going to be different from everyone's personal list. It's a subjective thing. I could care less about how CA rates them... it is what it is.

As far as predictions for CA's top 5, I would bet there will be a Padron in there, and Opus and possibly L'Atelier 56

Last edited:

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
They will likely have in the top five:

Padron 1964 Corona Gorda
Opus X Super Belicoso
Monte 520 EL or Cohiba Piramides

The non big brand they will throw in there will likely be the La Palina KB or Aging Room Quatro or LAT 56.

FYI: My list looks nothing like this...

Last edited:

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I don't take the list seriously either, but I did when I first got into cigars and it lead me down a good path which eventually lead me here, so I am glad they are around and do the top 25. Now I watch the top 25 for fun and think it is interesting (and I keep an eye out for a stick I might want to try), but I also watch it to see if any of my favorites make the top of the list so I know to stock up on them before they sell out, raise prices, and quality drops.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
My speculation for the #1 is the L'Atelier LAT56.

My guess is that the Padron 1964 Anniversary, Fuente Fuente Ous X and La Palina Kill Bill will also be somewhere in the top 5.

That's just me though....CA has been known to pick some real head scratcehrs in the past :scratchhe

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't take the list seriously either, but I did when I first got into cigars and it lead me down a good path which eventually lead me here, so I am glad they are around and do the top 25. Now I watch the top 25 for fun and think it is interesting (and I keep an eye out for a stick I might want to try), but I also watch it to see if any of my favorites make the top of the list so I know to stock up on them before they sell out, raise prices, and quality drops.
Agreed. I don't take it seriously, as I realize that it isn't nearly as objective as they'd like me to think it is, but the yearly list definitely was responsible for me branching out and trying other cigars, which was instrumental in developing my palate. Usually I was underwhelmed by many of their choices, but it did broaden my tastes.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the list pans out, but I know that my individual tastes are going to be quite different.

Like morrisjohn, I actually now hope that none of my favorites make the list, so I don't have to deal with the mad rush on them once it is published.

It is always fun to try to guess what will be on the list, and occasionally there is a good stick I discover because of it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The issue with quality comes down to the cigar makers, if they pump the market with inferior product with the same label to make money. Prices a lot of time are raised at the local retailers, as they want to cash in as well on the buzz.

As for the list, I think it's interesting to see what they rate, try to find them and taste them. Then you can agree or disagree with the list. But in the process you expand your plate and perhaps your brands. I found Illusione and Casa Magna from the list, probably would have never tried them if they hadn't been on the list.
My guess is the top five will be.
Oliva V Melanio
LAT56 or Aging Room Quattro
Opus X
Padron 1964 Maduro Toro
Monte Cristo 520.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I've said this elsewhere, but this is the same magazine that rated the Casa Magna Colorado above the Padron 80th in '08. Need I go on?

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Two mentions of LAT above....but, I don't recall any L'Atelier/Surrogates being rated this year. Did I miss them? Unless things have changed, all candidates for top 25 come from cigars rated in previous year.

Slidzero

Belicoso Brother
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two mentions of LAT above....but, I don't recall any L'Atelier/Surrogates being rated this year. Did I miss them? Unless things have changed, all candidates for top 25 come from cigars rated in previous year.
The Lat's were reviewed in Cigar Insider for sure. I don't know about the magazine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I'll put money on padron, (they always mention how many years the have been in the top 3 running) L'Atelier 54/56, and the oliva V melanio being in the top 5. They have also always had a smaller company ( warlock, viaje) in the top 10
to bring a boutique angle; and as much as I want to say a fuente product will be in there we have to remember that a single Cuban in the top ten doesn't exactly appeal to the international market/sales, so I bet we will see at least one more. JMHO/ .02 cents

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
This is exactly how I feel as well. I would not have tried some of the cigars I have smoked if it wasn't for CA. But certainly their list is just that..... Theirs. I think it is a good resource for the uneducated. It at least gives them a starting point for finding out what some solid cigars are.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Interesting commentary from Suckling:

I noticed an article in Cigar Insider that tallied all their cigar ratings in 2012, and it underlined how much better the cigar quality in Cuba is compared to other major cigar producing countries. For example, CI reviewed 28 cigars from Cuba in 2012 and 25 were outstanding, or 90 points or more. That’s almost 90 percent of all the cigars. Only about 40 percent of Dominican cigars rated received 90 or more. Nicaragua was the same. Honduras was a dismal 34 percent.
http://www.jamessuckling.com/my-best-cigars-in-2012.html

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
Interesting commentary from Suckling:

I noticed an article in Cigar Insider that tallied all their cigar ratings in 2012, and it underlined how much better the cigar quality in Cuba is compared to other major cigar producing countries. For example, CI reviewed 28 cigars from Cuba in 2012 and 25 were outstanding, or 90 points or more. That’s almost 90 percent of all the cigars. Only about 40 percent of Dominican cigars rated received 90 or more. Nicaragua was the same. Honduras was a dismal 34 percent.
http://www.jamessuckling.com/my-best-cigars-in-2012.html
I saw those stats too and thought they were interesting, but he leaves part of the stats out. Cubs had about 90% in the 90s, but like he said, only 25 total. DR had 37 above 90 and nica had 40 above. So even though the percentages were lower in other counties Cuba was behind DR and Nicaragua in total number above 90. But he was taking about quality in Cuba and how it is improving, so I'm going away from his point, just wanted to share the rest of the stats I thought was interesting