What's new

Cigar Aficionado Top 25

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I saw those stats too and thought they were interesting, but he leaves part of the stats out. Cubs had about 90% in the 90s, but like he said, only 25 total. DR had 37 above 90 and nica had 40 above. So even though the percentages were lower in other counties Cuba was behind DR and Nicaragua in total number above 90. But he was taking about quality in Cuba and how it is improving, so I'm going away from his point, just wanted to share the rest of the stats I thought was interesting
Correct, but when you consider his Cuban-bias I don't think his conclusion is wrong though. Well, put another way - his conclusion is biased but I agree with it. Blind or not, I find my tastes following Cuban reviewers more than Nic reviewers. If you enjoy the CC profile, the hit rate with CCs is currently much higher than with Nics. Maybe a sky is blue comment but I think it is useful/valid commentary about recent production CCs... odds of getting a winner now are higher, and if you like CCs, notably higher than Nic/DR/Hondurans.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I saw those stats too and thought they were interesting, but he leaves part of the stats out. Cubs had about 90% in the 90s, but like he said, only 25 total. DR had 37 above 90 and nica had 40 above. So even though the percentages were lower in other counties Cuba was behind DR and Nicaragua in total number above 90. But he was taking about quality in Cuba and how it is improving, so I'm going away from his point, just wanted to share the rest of the stats I thought was interesting
Correct, but when you consider his Cuban-bias I don't think his conclusion is wrong though. Well, put another way - his conclusion is biased but I agree with it. Blind or not, I find my tastes following Cuban reviewers more than Nic reviewers. If you enjoy the CC profile, the hit rate with CCs is currently much higher than with Nics. Maybe a sky is blue comment but I think it is useful/valid commentary about recent production CCs... odds of getting a winner now are higher, and if you like CCs, notably higher than Nic/DR/Hondurans.
Oh I don't disagree, just sharing some of the other stats I thought were interesting, I don't have cc experience so I can't even comment on that part. I wouldn't be surprised if the 90+ Cubans had a higher avg rating as well

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Does CA review many regionals/ELs? That's where nearly 100% of my disappointments with Cuban cigars arise.

After beginning 2012 with a hard turn to smoking nearly 100% CCs, both regular production and HTF, I ended the year eschewing almost all the stuff I had to chase and smoking a lot of regular production (CC and NC) that has been around for years. The 40 year old Partagas Dunhill Selection I had for my birthday was sublime, but honestly, Fuente 8-5-8s are better and more consistent than most of the HTF Cubans I was hunting last year. Now the hardest to find cigars I'm hunting are both regular production (Sir Winnies and H. Upmann Half Coronas), and I spend a lot less money! :)

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
About the Timeless… had picked up the Especial prior to Christmas, and was quite surprised at how good it was. The girlfriend mentioned that it “smelled good.” Which she rarely does.

I imagine I will have a fiver on hand going forward.

Last edited:

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
About the Timeless… had picked up the Especial prior to Christmas, and was quite surprised at how good it was. The girlfriend mentioned that it “smelled good.” Which she rarely does.

I imagine I will have a fiver on hand going forward.
The Timeless would make my personal top 10 for 2012, great cigar.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I kinda have a love/hate relationship with the CA list. Last year at this time I was looking to expand my smoking knowledge beyond what was in the JR Cigar catalog. That led me to the CA list and a local B&M, which eventually led me to the AB Prensado, which led me to think, "This is the best cigar out there? Really?" And that led me to a web search about what all the hubbub was about...and that led me here, which has been awesome. So last year I loved it/hated it/ and ultimately loved it again. So we'll see what happens this year. If nothing else, it does give novice's like me something to work from while we try to build knowledge and find out what we like and why.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It's funny to see the skepticism about the list and how certain cigars can even make it on there. I've been to a couple San Diego Comic-Cons over the past few years and when the "expert panel" comes up with the annual Eisner Awards, all the blogs and forums light up with, "How in the hell did {fill in the blank} get an award!?" As goes comics, so go cigars. It's all so subjective. That said, I want to second (or third or fourth) the sentiment that the CA list can be a great jumping-on point for people starting to get serious about cigars. That's where I started, running down the lists over the previous few years and trying them out (the NCs, natch) at the B&Ms I visited in my travels around the country. Some head-scratchers, but some I really liked right out of the gate.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
RP 50 making the top 10? Please...
Tyler, What are your thoughts on the RP 50? I admit that I haven't tried it yet.
I thought it was attractive looking...that's for sure. The orange is a nice change of pace. Some flair. Not everybody needs to come out with the next "best looking classic simple cubanesque band".

It bothered me that the tobaccos are a secret from the get go. Seems sort of Gurkhaish to me. Marketing etc, blah blah. Just tell us what's in it. If it's good, it's good.
The flavors were pretty good really. Cocoa, some spice, something on the finish was very sharp or tangy. The burn on mine was a little bit wonky, but was fine with a correction.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good cigar. The price point is a big issue for me. I could have a T52 for that much.
I just have a hard time believing it's a top 10 stick.

Admittedly I may revisit it after the high marks CA gave it, but I won't seek one out.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Dave, I must admit I was handed one. I heard they were expensive so I assumed $10-$15. $20...Scratch the T52. I could have a Padron 1926!

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
RP 50 making the top 10? Please...
Tyler, What are your thoughts on the RP 50? I admit that I haven't tried it yet.
I thought it was attractive looking...that's for sure. The orange is a nice change of pace. Some flair. Not everybody needs to come out with the next "best looking classic simple cubanesque band".

It bothered me that the tobaccos are a secret from the get go. Seems sort of Gurkhaish to me. Marketing etc, blah blah. Just tell us what's in it. If it's good, it's good.
The flavors were pretty good really. Cocoa, some spice, something on the finish was very sharp or tangy. The burn on mine was a little bit wonky, but was fine with a correction.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good cigar. The price point is a big issue for me. I could have a T52 for that much.
I just have a hard time believing it's a top 10 stick.

Admittedly I may revisit it after the high marks CA gave it, but I won't seek one out.
I thought they were pretty boring my self. This was several months ago and I barely remember any flavors just that it was boring.

This difference kinda speaks to why it may be in the top 10 everyone has different pallets and different thoughts.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
5-2 is up. I'm at work otherwise I'd post what they were. Someone want to? There's a couple weird ones in there. And a couple you would expect.....

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
When the 50th first came out it was very green, a few months of rest really helped the cigar out. There will always be a couple cigars making the list that get everyone all butt hurt, but it is what it is. I don't think there is ever a "bad" cigar on the CA list(I'm talking about construction, quality of tobacco, ect...), just a few cigars that people personally wouldn't consider rated that highly. I see it every year, people come in to the shop with a list asking for cigars that are highly rated and I think it is great that people are coming in the shop looking to expand their palate. Any good tobacconist will take that customer looking to branch out and put something in their hand that the person will enjoy, whether it made Jim Bob's top 25 or not. Agree or disagree, the CA top 25 list generates a lot of talk and sales due to the ratings, which is good for the industry.

Edit: ROMEO got #3, there is my head scratcher, lol. I was wrong about the Opus, they gave it to the Fuente Mag R 54. Knew there would be a Padron in there, and the 85th I felt the Maduro should have made it last year.

5. Arturo Fuente Rosado Sungrown Magnum R Vitola Forty-Four
4. Padrón Family Reserve 85 Years (Natural)
3. Romeo by Romeo y Julieta Piramide
2. Cohiba 1966 Edición Limitada 2011

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I actually like that Romeo. It isn't in my top 20 for the year but I applaud Altadis for making a cigar I would happily smoke. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot. It is good.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Does anyone else get disappointed when cigars they really like get ranked highly in the top 25 list? The Magnum R series are a go to smoke for me, I'm disappointed they'll be harder to find for a few months.