What's new

Cigar aging

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Setting on the back deck this evening and a thought came to mind.
Are there cigars out there that will just not get better with age?
It seems debating this topic is much like debating which handgun caliber is best...imo. Everyone likes something a little different for varying reasons. I do like some fresh much better because they tend to have more distinct flavor...as they get some rest perhaps they get a little more distinguished.

Only one way to find out for yourself - smoke many...and smoke often!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how long would you wanna age a cigar ? wouldn’t it depend on each stick etc , also taking into consideration some brands are already aged 5+ years ? how long is too long before it becomes muted.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
5 year aged tobacco... you must have a lot of trust in the people with that marketing line
oh is it just a marketing line , i have no idea either way just something i’ve seen here and there and curious if makes a difference hence why i asked. guess you’re not a fan of aging cigars

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
oh is it just a marketing line , i have no idea either way just something i’ve seen here and there and curious if makes a difference hence why i asked. guess you’re not a fan of aging cigars
I age some stuff but not intentionally ... they age simply because I focus on other stuff that’s smoking better for my palate.

But I always try a single out of every fresh box to see how the blend is. I also pre cut 10-15 cihars of each box to check draw randomly as weeks pass

But I don’t buy into “pre” aged tobacco. Ever. The Añejados line from Habanos is a prime example as to why I don’t.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I age some stuff but not intentionally ... they age simply because I focus on other stuff that’s smoking better for my palate.

But I always try a single out of every fresh box to see how the blend is. I also pre cut 10-15 cihars of each box to check draw randomly as weeks pass

But I don’t buy into “pre” aged tobacco. Ever. The Añejados line from Habanos is a prime example as to why I don’t.
that’s a pretty good idea to see if the draw differs , thanks for the tip

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Honestly I buy a lot of what folks call inexpensive sticks to test out. Normally I wil put them in a Tuper-A-Dore for 120 days before smoking.

Two reason I buy mostly online, and transited is 2 - 8 days to me, so I want them to recover RH. Last age gives them some time to get better.

Recently I bought a bundle of a inexpensive Torpedos, under $33.00 for 20. I open the bundle to put them in a Tuper-A-Dor, and discovered the wrapper were very yellow already. Trurning light brown, couple of days later I let one up, and said wow.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The first aged cigar I ever smoked was a 5 year old Anejo Shark that a friend gave me. It was an incredible and memorable cigar. I decided at that time I wanted to age some select cigars and am shooting for the 5 year mark. Most that I am purposely aging are 2-3 years now. As a Fuente whore, they are what have been purposefully tagged for aging. I hope it works out.

I have since smoked a few 8-10 year old cigars that were totally flavorless, so I guess it's a crap shoot. Age them or smoke them fresh. They are yours so enjoy them however you choose.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
how long would you wanna age a cigar ? wouldn’t it depend on each stick etc , also taking into consideration some brands are already aged 5+ years ? how long is too long before it becomes muted.
5 year aged tobacco... you must have a lot of trust in the people with that marketing line
You have some evidence to the contrary?
In some cases, it is absolute marketing BS, though I don't doubt they're often slipping in a bit of older leaf to be able to claim it with a straight face...

Other cases its absolutely true, you can tell by how flavorless the sticks are... ;)

The thing is, there is a veritable buttload (legitimate term) of tobacco grown, much of it passed over, or managing to miss being added to anything for years. Just think about how much surplus there was after the 90's boom fizzle.... It's really not hard to see how they can make blends with long aged tobacco. The NC companies have so much more to work with that it probably has happened sometimes even without initial intent.

Habanos on the other hand, cranking out everything they can, I can see it being hard to believe they'd be able to long age anything.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I
In some cases, it is absolute marketing BS, though I don't doubt they're often slipping in a bit of older leaf to be able to claim it with a straight face...

Other cases its absolutely true, you can tell by how flavorless the sticks are... ;)

The thing is, there is a veritable buttload (legitimate term) of tobacco grown, much of it passed over, or managing to miss being added to anything for years. Just think about how much surplus there was after the 90's boom fizzle.... It's really not hard to see how they can make blends with long aged tobacco. The NC companies have so much more to work with that it probably has happened sometimes even without initial intent.

Habanos on the other hand, cranking out everything they can, I can see it being hard to believe they'd be able to long age anything.
If you see my Cigar photos I post you can see age, I keep say you hand are old to myself.

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the cigar industry isn’t much different from any other where they don’t really enjoy the cost of having an overwhelming inventory that isn’t making them money. In a perfect world a business owner wants the smallest possible warehouse as to move product out as quickly as possible to the customer so the risks of beingrg stuck with an inventory that is worthless gets stuck in a bad deal or a buyer has backed out.
I’m sure some brands/blends are aged to a certain degree but I can’t see any company holding on to a product for five plus years without charging a very big premium for it.
I’m no business guru but I’m a numbers guy. Most of it is marketing hype honestly as having common sense tells one such otherwise the very aged sticks would cost &20 to $100 or more a piece. Ymmv.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I assume the cigar industry isn’t much different from any other where they don’t really enjoy the cost of having an overwhelming inventory that isn’t making them money. In a perfect world a business owner wants the smallest possible warehouse as to move product out as quickly as possible to the customer so the risks of beingrg stuck with an inventory that is worthless gets stuck in a bad deal or a buyer has backed out.
I’m sure some brands/blends are aged to a certain degree but I can’t see any company holding on to a product for five plus years without charging a very big premium for it.
I’m no business guru but I’m a numbers guy. Most of it is marketing hype honestly as having common sense tells one such otherwise the very aged sticks would cost &20 to $100 or more a piece. Ymmv.
I was waiting for someone to bring that up.. It's a good point, and I'm sure it factors in to a point. But I'm also sure they are not that effecient. Anyone who's worked in a warehouse has seen certain racks sitting with shit on them that's years old, and no one knows what do do with. That's in America, I'm sure it's worse elsewhere.
The point is, they have more tobacco to work with than is actually gonna get rolled and sold every year, so some is gonna end up aged by default.
Til somebody clever comes along, turns a bug into a feature, and creates a valuable commodity out of old leftovers taking up space.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Honestly when I get something off an Online Site, and it show up with the Celo already going Golden Rod Color. They are good to go. Pardon and a few other companies roll pre-aged Tabacco. Good out of the box.