What's new

Cigar Band Marketing

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I bought a sample pack that had an Alec Bradley temest in it. from a newbs standpoint, that shiny band and foot band really grabbed my attention. The cigar was excellent to.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I WANT to say that a band NEVER influences my thoughts about a cigar... but I've got to admit that big bold bands USUALLY do the OPPOSITE, for me, than what you're describing...

When I see a giant gaudy band, I feel like they're trying to market something that can't actually stand on its quality as a cigar. Subconsciously even, if I do a blind trade with someone and I get a handful of cigars I've never tried... I think I instinctively reach for the more under-stated bands to try first.

Maybe companies like Gurkha did this to me??

I know, I know... this is NOT always true (ESG comes to mind as opposing my view, as does Graycliff Grand Cru and probably several others if I took some time to think about it more)......... but it's a first impression I actually have to consciously get over to try new things sometimes.

Cool thread!
x2 I smoke what I like and I wish sometimes that the cigar company would put a statement out saying we took away the bands and invested it into the tobacco!

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
I bought a sample pack that had an Alec Bradley temest in it. from a newbs standpoint, that shiny band and foot band really grabbed my attention. The cigar was excellent to.

Alec Bradley was what came to mind for me, but I feel a little differently. I tend to think the more gaudy the AB band the more I feel biased to think its making up for something...

BM, Maxx and Family Blend - Good to me
Tempus and Presanado - Ehhhh

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Alec Bradley was what came to mind for me, but I feel a little differently. I tend to think the more gaudy the AB band the more I feel biased to think its making up for something...

BM, Maxx and Family Blend - Good to me
Tempus and Presanado - Ehhhh
I agree completely with the AB comment. The Tempus and Presanado lines were not liked, but I have enjoyed the family blend several times.

As an architect (degreed not registered) I pay a lot of attention to branding, design, and what would be considered decoration. Good or bad, I have made decisions based on aesthetics of packaging, bands, or boxes. Let's face it, who wouldn't want a collection of the "dressed" monster boxes-they are cool and I will admit it

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the novelty of a really cool cigar band, but only enough to try it, not buy lots (eg - some of the skull and bones releases) I may look at a cigar because of a nice band but it isn't the final - it will catch my eye in a new store though before soemthing that looks cheap. personally, simplicity in good quality (eg Illusione) or classic like the VSG really works for me. I don't like cheap construction, triple bands or bands as large as the cigar

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I go for the cigar experience, which can differ for me from day to day. Sometimes the band and overall look of the cigar does make the difference, just as other days I go for tried-and-true flavor profiles I enjoy.

Going to be honest here: I love the Gurkha perfectos simply because of how the cigar looks. In my opinion, it is not a bad cigar to begin with (the Legend Aniversario 2001, specifically), but the actual shape and look of the cigar as a whole makes me reach for it amongst all others. Again, depends on my mood, but that's why we keep around enough choices. (And I know, Gurkhas can have a bad rap, but some make me happy!).

Love the OpusX bands, but it's the cigar that really delivers. Some of the best cigars I have had really have minimalistic "bling," too.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Since beginning to develop my palate about a year ago, I've never been turned on by a label. I have, however, been turned off by labels. I know, for example, that the 601s are tasty cigars (I'm in love with the blue label), but I find the label so ugly, I have to remove it before lighting or it makes me think negative thoughts.

It's kind of odd, that way. A great label enhances a great cigar (Liga Privada No 9 has one of the greatest labels of all time, IMO), a bland or not-particularly-exciting label (most CCs, Tatuajes, Padrons) won't diminish how good a particular cigar is, and a poor label can ruin an experience for me.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I'd love to say I've never fallen victim to it, but I have. When I was new to this cigar world and the only cigars I smoked were made by General Cigar, I would look for something I've never heard of and two things grabbed me: price and band. Even more recently I purchased a Morro Castle and a San Miguel (gorgeous bands) to try some cheaper smokes and after thinking about it, I think I let the band influence my decision.

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
So I thought of this thread immediately, I had my first PDR the other night as a gift, I enjoyed it so I went to check out a few more, I ran across a sampler with 2 Obsidians in it as well, this is the first Ive seen them and I immediately want some just because of the long black shiny band, the reviews dont sound 100% in my wheelhouse, but I still want some and I think its because of the band... oh well maybe ill enjoy them

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hahaha. Ya in my mind the band is sweet, yes they are huge, but I liked them, thats what drew me in. But I have to say that I also enjoy them. If you havnt already made the purchase on cigar.com they have a sampling of 20 cigars in various sizes of the Obsidian for 50 bucks, I am going to be making that order myself here soon.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The band doesn't determine whether I smoke it or not but I'd be lieing if I said that the marketing as a whole didn't interest me.

I think that Casa Magna Domus Magnus and Crowned Heads Four Kicks are both really good examples of the kind of marketing that appeals to me. Although completely different from each other, they're both heavily thematic and that kind of attention to marketing does speak to me as a consumer and tells me that whoever is behind this marketing really cares about these smokes and most likely isn't going to put crap out there.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The band does not really determine what I purchase.. does the band catch my attention, yes.. it'll make me look up the cigar if I haven't seen or heard about it yet.. side note: I love cigar bands.. I save all that I smoke whether if it was cool or not.. Hopefully we will come up with something to make out of them.. already have soooo many after two years...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The band won't always make me buy a brand but it has kept me from buying a few type because I thought they looked cheap and thought the cigar might be the same. Case in point the Natural line from Drew Estate. When compared to say the Undercrown band the Natural band reminded me of a cigar sold at say a 7/11 and I passed on them for years. Big mistake for me after trying an NDB..darn good.

I do think some of the new bands are really interesting. .love the CAO Flathead and others like Alec Bradley and My Father.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Not that long ago, I would have said that the label makes a big difference in my purchasing decisions. And I know better than that - I've had some really great wines whose labels were not that impressive, same with beer, dry pastas, etc. But I completely fell back into that habit with cigars. Fortunately I've been able to drop that attitude. Otherwise I'd never would have had my first Tat. Same goes with the band from Partagas.

But, yes, if you want me to take notice, put on a nice band, drop a bottom band on it, and wrap it cedar.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
The band does not really determine what I purchase.. does the band catch my attention, yes.. it'll make me look up the cigar if I haven't seen or heard about it yet.. side note: I love cigar bands.. I save all that I smoke whether if it was cool or not.. Hopefully we will come up with something to make out of them.. already have soooo many after two years...
You could make a coffee table. And cover it in a clear coat.

That's kind of my dream. However I barely have a undercrown box half filled with bands so far. So maybe in twenty years...

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
You could make a coffee table. And cover it in a clear coat.

That's kind of my dream. However I barely have a undercrown box half filled with bands so far. So maybe in twenty years...
You could take every single band off your cigars before you smoke em lol. A giant grab bag

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The bands attract me a lot. If its got a cool band then it goes into that hey I might like to try that categories for me. It was basically how a bought a bundle of black ops cigars. That band is so sick! But its not all like that. The San Lotano band is ehh but its a great smoke. Kinda one of those dont judge a cigar by its band ya know.

Rating - 77.8%
8   2   0
I am a marketing whore. I like what I like...but if I walk into a store with the intent on something new, my eye speaks before anything else.