What's new

Cigar Band Marketing

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I agree that marketing can be tricky. I read an article I cant remember where about makers dressing cigars up with ribbons and cedar sleeves and what not. A great cigar and an awesome band is a plus for me (OSOK for example). I keep all my bands from cigars I smoke. Just because it has a cool band doesnt mean I will necessarily smoke it though. It will however make me look it up and read about it. Then if I like what it says THEN it goes into that category I said earlier. I like going after the manufacturer before the band. I didnt discover Tatuaje till I joined here. Those bands are bland but I really like Tatuaje a bunch now thanks to you guys! As a matter of fact I am about to go light one up while the Daytona 500 is under rain delay.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love good marketing, but some of the best cigars I've smoked have had incredibly bland bands

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marketing and packaging has a tremendous effect on the purchasing of cigars, I can say that most of my clients buy solely on that principle. It might be because I am based in Asia and society here functions on status but there is no denying the fact that people would choose a cigar with nice packaging or ugly packaging.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Some companies can put any band on a cigar and I'll be interested due to who made it. Tat would be a fine example, none of their bands are overly appealing but obviously they put their money into the quality of the tobacco product itself. So they could, in theory, make a band that featured a nice big pile of dog crap and I would still be tempted to light it up. Other brands, like Room 101, I first tried due to the packaging, specifically the Namakubi line. The band was nice and the box was quite flashy and I figured for the price why the hell not give it a whirl. I would never make box purchases this way or even a fiver, but at a store I'll try a single of damn near anything. As long as its sub $10 - if it looks good and the cigar looks like its been made with quality, I don't have anything to lose. Just walking around a B&M humidor has led to me to several purchases that I tried on a whim due to the appearance that are now in my regular rotation.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marketing is tricky, because some pick up for look, others reviews, many for price, and so on.

While it can catch your eye, it does not bring repeat customers. Quality does that. Look at Padron. The standard Padrons have some of the most boring looking bands and boxes. They are good cigars though and sell well. I have had some with great bands, and a high tag, where I would be happy never smoking another as long as I lived.

I find that too flashy is overcompensating for crap quality. The bands and boxes cost money, so if the price is reasonable, they put more into packaging than tobacco and rolling quality.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Has absolutely no affect on my buying. ......I read what the cigar blend is, reviews etc before I buy anything. If it doesn't sound like something I would enjoy, a simple pass.
This.
+2 I like to think that I'm immune to all but the very best marketing....maybe delusional, but I pride myself on that sense of immunity. I honestly don't think that I've ever been influenced to choose a cigar by the band...even in the earliest days

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I've been influenced to avoid a cigar based on it's band far more times than I've been enticed by one. Some bands are just so gaudy (Ave Maria, La Sirena, the new Tempus bands), so cheesy (CAO Angry Snowman, Berger & Argenti's "Advisory" foot band), or so ugly (Obsidian, Graycliff, Capioera), you can't help but think the cigar has to suck! You could be wrong (as you would be in the case of several of the ones listed above)... but you don't even care to find out.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I won't buy off a band. But if I'm in my B&M and see a neat band that draws my eye I will pull out my phone and do a BOTL search and see what the brothers have had to say.

So I guess bands do play a part in my buying process. But don't decide if I pull the trigger on it in the end or not

Rating - 77.8%
8   2   0
Ultimately, I think that is their purpose. To catch attention. Even simple bands catch our attention if we like the words on the band. So as long as the band makes is look...mission accomplished

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Apart from the question of how much a band will influence my purchasing decision, I love the artwork of cigar bands. That's why I enjoy seeing guys post pictures of furniture and pictures they've made with their old bands...