What's new

Cigar Boards are selling

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Events have been put in motion and now, whatever the outcome, things will be effected. (affected? I can never figure out that damn rule)

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
affected, because affected:
influenced by something: acted upon or influenced by somebody or something
2. moved emotionally: emotionally moved by something
3. infected or damaged: infected or harmed by disease
4. trying to impress: behaving in an unnatural way intended to impress others
5. intended to impress: done or assumed with the intention of impressing others

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Versus. effected
1. result: a change or changed state occurring as a direct result of action by somebody or something else
showing the effects of prolonged malnutrition

2. power to influence: success in bringing about a change in somebody or something, or the ability to achieve this
I pleaded with them, but to no effect.

3. being in force or operation: the state of being in force or operation, or of being the case, often from a particular point in time
The new law doesn't come into effect until next month.
Much-needed changes were now being put into effect.
You have to wait for the medication to take effect.

4. impression: an impression produced in the mind of somebody who sees, hears, or reads something, especially one that is deliberately intended or engineered
The overall effect of the new decor was light and spacious.

5. cause or production of impression: something that produces an impression, or the process of causing a special feeling or impression
a grand little speech made merely for effect

6. special sound or lighting: something done to produce a desired response or to add to the realism or theatricality of a movie, play, or broadcast (often used in the plural)
7. scientific phenomenon: a scientifically observed and described phenomenon
the Doppler effect

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
We all know that over the course of the next 6 months, SCHIF will most likely come up again. Depending upon the make up of the electorate, both Congress and the President, will it suceed? Time will tell. We will all have to do our part to "Change" Washington DC. Time to hold those elected to task and bring it back to a government of the people, by the people and for the people again.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Bill I think someone needs to find the reset button that makes them realize they have gone the way the founding fathers never wanted the country to go. Maybe forcing all the politicians into a history class will open their eyes? :scratchhe

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
If we support Mr Captuo by becoming members of his site, we should FIGHT to have our desires heard (NO cigarette advertising, changing the slogan for the site, making the large gathering of smokers an assembled communittee that can shape future legislation by strength in numbers). If we choose NOT to support the site, we need to keep that last aspect alive and vow to stand up for ourselves REGARDLESS of a large group gathering. The benefits of the large site can be seen if we all stand up individually to create a united voice.

Does this clear things up?
Yep, thanks Craig. That makes more sense to me now. I hear what you are saying. My thoughts are that I don't like what the man is doing so I don't plan in supporting it in any way shape or form. I like how this forum is run and I think it needs to just keep on keeping on. As in politics, I'm one of them "free market" folks. If people like what Mr. Caputo has to offer, the'll patronize his site. If they don't they won't. Same with us. That being said, I do agree that those who decide to be a part of his community should be sure to be vocal about how things are done. I just don't see deciding NOT to be part of his community, and therefor deciding not to have a say in how he structures it, is truly detrimental. In fact, I would think that taking an active roll in helping to define how the site is run in the hopes that the power his site(s) wield is used correctly is giving said site(s) more power and legitmacy than they would otherwise have.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Bill I think someone needs to find the reset button that makes them realize they have gone the way the founding fathers never wanted the country to go. Maybe forcing all the politicians into a history class will open their eyes? :scratchhe
Fire 'em ALL and start over.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
For what it's worth, and I won't speak for Craig, I think many of us have misunderstood his basic message on this, myself included. Not pointing a finger in any particular direction, just saying that I've seen a lot of responses to him that now that I understand what it is he is actually saying, seem to show that same misunderstanding.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I don't think so J.

Craig is calling for action as a united front of cigar smokers and saying this conglomerate is a chance to take said action.

I, and many others in this thread, think that the potential benefit of a large online community of united smokers is not as influential a force as Craig seems to think. The fact that PUFF.com is destine to crash and burn is irelevant to his argument.

The portion of the cigar smoking public that is online everyday in forums like BOTL.org are a very small protion of total cigar smokers in this country and therefore any unified voice from the online cigar community would be nothing but a whisper in the grand scheme.