What's new

Cigar Boards are selling

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
These have been well thought out posts and responses to posts. Activisim is always important. Banding togather for change or to insure change does not come about is good. Choosing the forum to handle these tasks is the question to be answered. I dont put political signs in my living room. They do not belong there. It is a place to watch TV, listen to music and often have great conversation. I believe the same thing iapplies to most online forums. This one seems to be about the enjoyment of cigars.
There is a group that you can join to push for change http://www.cigarrights.org/. This group has a defined well documented agenda. While I have seen some of the comments posted by the gentlemen buying these sites, as a businessman, I have to wonder what the true reasons could be. I contribute to many charities that evoke change. I contribute to few business that say that change could be a byproduct of their growth. Buy a burger and 2 cents will go to charity. Join my super forum and we may chnage the world. I dont see much difference. Why not create a co-op? Co-ops are multiple businesses that band togather for buying power, a bigger voice and to promote a centralized product or service. Usually non-profit. I would be much more impressed with a group of forums joining such as this. 2 cents as usual.
I'm aware of the CRA. As a matter of fact, that's what I was calling on people to join, as well as emailing/calling their congressman/woman. In regard to what you're saying about a 'superforum changing the world', I don't quite understand if you've misinterpreted me or if I'm failing to see your point. I do agree, it seems silly to be so gung-ho about controlling a cigar forum but it's a forum about cigars, by cigar loving people, trying to protect cigars. It IS related. If it would be to "support X politician because I think it's right", than I would completely follow your call to not 'bring it into the livingroom'. I just think that it's all related 100%

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
How is focusing our attention to our own community isolationism? I understand the significance of every cigar smoker being unified against losing their rights. However, that does not mean we should embrace every unique cigar community being bought for cash and thrown into one collective place.
I'm not clarifying what I mean to you. I'm not saying that I support this board and it's creation. I'm saying that we have a responsibility as a collective group to do certain things DEPENDING on what happens with this board.
-If we collectively ignore it, we need to do the things a LARGE site would have done for us, but now do them on our own. (represent ourselves as a unified front to politicians)
-If we collectively embrace it, we need to make sure it stands for the right things by demanding certain items are followed (see previous posts as to outline what I feel these are)

We can not embrace or avoid something that does not yet exist.
Correct; if things come to fruition, it's always better to be proactive than reactive.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I choose to defend my cigar rights/hobby by joining the CRA. That is a unified front for cigar smokers to protect our rights, fight against the Anti's attempts to curb our passion. It seems that they, CRA, which is composed of Manufacturers, Retailers and Cigar Smokers, are unified in this venture. Is Mr. Caputo trying to do that? Why buy up boards to allegedly unify all of us, when there is a group already tasked with the same mission?

I said it before and I will say it again. It appears that Mr. Caputo is seeking a way to make money off his "enthusiam" for cigars. There is nothing wrong with that. I hope he does. But, we all do not have to buy into his "ideal". If you look at his other "buy up" platform on computer forums, it is a huge advertising platform and not a community system.

Look at the other forums. There is bashing and drama all the time. At times, this can be fun, but it does not create a fellowship/brotherhood atmosphere. I come here to spend time with my online family, learn more about this hooby and share the lifestyle. I will not join Mr. Caputo's site.

BOTL por vida!!
-manufacturers have their voice (IPCPR)
-all aspects of cigar industry has their voice (CRA)
-consumers COULD have their voice if it would be chosen to do so.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Time will tell Mr. Caputo's true motives. Like the politicians were are looking at for President. They talk a great game, but proof will be in the actions, not in the words.

And as a member of this forum and CRA, I have my voice and have no problem letting others know. I write letters to my elected officials all the time. Please do not begin to think that Mr. Caputo will have any right to speak for me.

Just to let you know, I am not angry, upset either. I love a quality debate with views respected. I repsect yours, although I may share your opinion.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Speaking of CRA when you pay for a membership do they send you anything acknowledging you or do you just see a charge on your CC account? I signed up 3-4 months ago and never received anything or maybe I did and the woman tossed it. Who knows. I'm sure they're busy standing up and everything still.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Craig, I think you are putting more value in what Jon Caputo is doing than is necessary. It is clear to me that he is doing what he is for the sole purpose of trying to generate ad revenue.
You're also not following me, Todd. I'm playing both sides of the fence.

No matter what happens, we need to use this as an opportunity to act. If what you think will happen happens, we have a responsibility. By the way, I agree with you, I'm just playing devils advocate. IF things succeed for him we need to be prepared. Frankly, I think we should all avoid this place like the plague.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I didn't mean to stir the pot by posting what was going on over at CS. I've just been trying to keep up to date on what Mr. Caputo is doing and I thought I would let everyone else know in case they where interested. Sorry guys.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Man, I didn't mean to stir the pot by posting what was going on over at CS. I've just been trying to keep up to date on what Mr. Caputo is doing and I thought I would let everyone else know in case they where interested. Sorry guys.
No need to be sorry, I think everyone is glad you did.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I understand what you're saying about how Eric's post is addressing the situation saying that we will not involve ourselves in the situation. What I'M saying is that this isolationism is likely to cause more damage than good. Read my previous posts in this thread that are below.
Craig:

I now grasp what you are saying. My apologies for not reading all of your posts within, my bad....I understand your point though, and I'll add that your proposition is noble, if not idealist. I like it ...

However, I feel this makes the 'boutique' boards, like us (as some have inferred), stronger, and that maybe a unifying voice amongst us may better the struggle you suggest, rather than joining a conglomerate. Like you implied: we can be as one. In the future, I see a coming together, of sorts, against the merger, and against anything that negatively affects our brotherhood and the ultimate wishes for our lifestyle.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I don't think you have anything to apologise for D.

Craig, your are getting too philosphical for me on this one. Have at it. :grin:

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Y'all are taking this too seriously. Go out and have a cigar. Text message your congressman or congresswoman while you are doing it if you like. Craig, while I understand, yes I do understand what you are saying, it's just a cigar board!!!! Yes there could be an opportunity for a larger voice there, but I don't see that board surviving. People are leaving like rats jumping off a sinking ship. Let's move on and concentrate on how we can make THIS board better.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Y'all are taking this too seriously. Go out and have a cigar. Text message your congressman or congresswoman while you are doing it if you like. Craig, while I understand, yes I do understand what you are saying, it's just a cigar board!!!! Yes there could be an opportunity for a larger voice there, but I don't see that board surviving. People are leaving like rats jumping off a sinking ship. Let's move on and concentrate on how we can make THIS board better.
That's why I love ya big guy. Words of wisdom.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Brother, I respectfully choose to disagree.

I think "collective good" as you've defined it is fine, but shouldn't be held to be some objectively verifiable universal truth. In other words, while I see the value of your goals and your call to action, I'm not sure that "activism" is the only route to success among Brothers.

Personally, this board to me is more about making friends, learning from my fellow Brothers, developing my appreciation for the hobby, and pursuing the gentlemanly lifestyle. The things you mention might be important...in fact, I'm quite sure they are, but I think they're more important to you than they are to others.

But again, just my two cents. I don't want to have the last word and run because that is decidedly ungentlemanly but I'd also like to be careful to respect Eric/David's wishes as previously expressed in this thread. In other words, I think I'm out (but available in PM).

Best of luck to you,
Matt
This to me is what brings me to BOTL because of the members and how they treat each other with respect, regardless of our viewpoint. We can all be gentlemen with our respective opinions and we can disagree without being disagreeable. This is part and parcel of why I became a member here, the members care more about each other than a point they are trying to get across. This is what will seperate this forum from all the others. From what I see on other boards is this yearning for a warm comfortable place to come and discuss their hobby without fear of reprisals, dramas and disrespect. This board will become a lifeboat for those seeking as such. I appreciate every person on here for who they are and how they conduct themselves, all quality people in my book.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
man, i'm not active for a few weeks and I find that I missed all this! :)
:hammersma It's been a crazy few weeks. But we're giving a helping hand, warm blankets and hot meals to all those displaced by hurricane Caputo. Hopefully we are able to offer a caring home to those who want to stay.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Boiled down, I just think you're wrong about all this. You feel you're right and in the spirit of BOTL, we respect each others opinions.

I will simplify my overall point one final time: This has nothing to do with cigar boards and everything to do with the political repercussions upon the entire cigar community BECAUSE of a cigar board. Events have been put in motion and now, whatever the outcome, things will be effected. (affected? I can never figure out that damn rule)